Thanks for the pictures! Any chance you can give us a run down on the materials used to create itWanted to do this on one of my tank cars for quite some time now.
View attachment 184629
View attachment 184630
View attachment 184631
For those following along you realize I am very disappointed in the weight of the 3 car articulated well car set from Atlas. There is nowhere IMO to add weight to the empty car without interrupting the good looks and nice details of the cars.
So 3 ounces of weight added to the floor of a container in the form of USA pennies. The cars now track wonderfully forward and back. Not the ideal solution but a practical one. While I would like to run these empty in the empty unit train it is not unusual to see containers in cars of a mostly empty stack train. I have done this same solution to the 5 Evemodel well cars I have
View attachment 184679View attachment 184680View attachment 184681View attachment 184682
I figured someone would say something like that. LOL…Somewhere, some currency defacement Nazi is sizing you up for federal charges…
Deny everything!!!
It’s not a mistake but an experience gone wrong. IPA is a wonderful tool!This it what happens when you get overconfident and think you know what you're doing with dullcoat
View attachment 184986
View attachment 184987
Already in a IPA bath and back to square one
You can never add too many details in this thread! This is what draws us weathering new-comers into trying something like this.New project, not sure on how detailed members get here but I will provide details.
If it gets to be to detailed, let me know... I can cut it back.
Z, as Mike has written, there is no such thing as too much detail in this thread. Paint formulas are great the way you noted them. I usually use percentages for paint mixing but will also note to the world sometimes it’s just by feel. Pictures are superb and the more the merrier when the speed returns to the forumsNew project, not sure on how detailed members get here but I will provide details.
If it gets to be to detailed, let me know... I can cut it back.
I seen a post about a couple weeks ago on someone did a fine job of some weathering on a 86' boxcar, and that really inspired me to do one of my own.
It's a Tangent PC Quad door car.
View attachment 185046
I typically always start with the roof of a car.
Here I just did 2 round s of the Vallejo Model Air "Burnt Umber" and water mix.
View attachment 185047
View attachment 185048
I highlighted some spots with Vallejo Model Air "Wood"
I let the car dry for a day in between coats.
Next was doing a fade on all walls of the car.
I used some basic "Titanium White" acrylic paint and shot it with the airbrush at 20psi, I'd say about 1/3 paint to 2/3 of 50% IPA.
View attachment 185050
I got a little spatter but not a problem, most likely will disappear with the clear coat and additional weathering.
Next was a coat of Vallejo Matt Varnish out of an aerosol can .
View attachment 185051
One coat did the job.
Next I masked off the vertical rivet lines on the sides of the car prior to shooting it with the airbrush at 20psi again, 25% "Burnt Umber" to 75% of 50% IPA.
View attachment 185045
I then did the 4 sets of doors with a wash of the Vallejo "Burnt Umber" and water again.
View attachment 185053
A few things, I got a little bleed through on the tape lines, a little bit of paint pull off by the barcode board and I kind of regret cleaning of some of the fade from that barcode bar and roof walk warning decals, I should have just left those alone. But I can fix all that.
I have to tackle the other side of the car next.
I would like to add a bit of light sponge and oil effects for rust patches followed by some rust streaking this weekend and see how that turns out.
I will follow up, enjoy the weekend!
Z
You can never add too many details in this thread! This is what draws us weathering new-comers into trying something like this.
Car is looking great!
Z, as Mike has written, there is no such thing as too much detail in this thread. Paint formulas are great the way you noted them. I usually use percentages for paint mixing but will also note to the world sometimes it’s just by feel. Pictures are superb and the more the merrier when the speed returns to the forums
That is nice work on the PC 86’ boxcar
I find it interesting you started on the roof of this car. Is that your normal beginning? If so why?
I do roofs last as if there is any streaking from the roof it’s easy FOR ME to blend it into the car sides. Differences, it makes the world go round
Sitting here at the bench! View attachment 185065This is the next car up. Looking at the plan of attack and thinking Z starts on the roof. Gee, I can start there too! I can carry over the rust streaking along the car sides instead of blending it in after
If it doesn’t work for me, I hav lots of 91% IPA!
Thanks Z for making me think… Ithink
