Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Another 12 coal cars done. I'm doing 6 differently. I've seen where when axles are replaced and the wheel faces are a light rust color and the bearings caps are blue. One car I painted the springs blue from a car in a yard. Small details that may or may not catch your eye, but breaks up the look on a unit train. Hard to see but the last pics were dulled down with grimy black so the rust and the blue isn't to bright.View attachment 180222View attachment 180223View attachment 180224View attachment 180225View attachment 180226View attachment 180227
Very nice Tom
 
Finished and approved. Lots of turns as I finished the ScaleTrains coil car. This originally was to be lightly weathered, then a touch more grime, then we added some rust and then heavy spots. It’s fine as it keeps me on my toes. Definitely a car for almost any layout that models any of the big six Class One RR’s and many Class 2 lines. This one is a Wisconsin Central car that roamed the Midwest and Canada after the CN take over. I will be looking for a couple for myself, this is a great model

IMG_4133.jpeg
IMG_4132.jpeg
IMG_4131.jpeg
IMG_4130.jpeg
IMG_4129.jpeg
IMG_4128.jpeg
 


Another finished and approved

IMG_4142.jpeg
IMG_4141.jpeg
IMG_4140.jpeg
IMG_4139.jpeg
IMG_4137.jpeg
IMG_4136.jpeg
IMG_4135.jpeg
IMG_4134.jpeg


This was an interesting car. Pan Pastels was the predominant medium used. The client was very involved with this car and provided the photos to follow. There are some mixed Pan Pastels that were combined in a Dixie cup and then applied to come up with the shading of colors. Normally I would layer the pan pastels and blend them on the car. I definitely am not used to anyone looking over my shoulder but we made it work. He did some stuff on the layout while I worked on the car. He also has purchased the house
 
A work in process. The base fade was Tamiya x2 white, xf10 brown and 70% Isopropyl Alcohol at about a 20% white, 5% brown and 75% Isopropyl Alcohol mix. I don’t have any off white colors other then straight white and this is a hugely white car that the client wanted to be lightly rusted! The fade with a touch of brown gives it a good base
IMG_4143.jpeg

The side shown above was a discussion with the client and was created using Abtielung‘s Lite Rust pigment touched/dabbed on the top edge of the side panel and brushed down the side of the car
IMG_4151.jpeg
IMG_4147.jpeg
IMG_4146.jpeg
IMG_4150.jpeg


Vallejo Air Burnt Umber was dabbed on in spots on the body but brushed on edges of the roof and left to dry for maybe a week ( I had other things to do and this is not due to ship until the end of March) I did while it was drying send pictures to the client, who thought we were on the right track!!! Yeah, his word…

The other side of the car
IMG_4152.jpeg


More of the roof
IMG_4151.jpeg

The roof was done with the dry Abteilung lite rust pigment just dabbed on again but ONLY between the hatches and the roof walks and left alone. I then came in with a mister (it used to hold cleaner for my glasses) filled with water and I liberally sprayed the pigment hoping it would run and puddle along the top of the car edge. I think from above’s picture it actually did. If it ran down the car sides we thought that would be fine.

I think it’s a fail…

IMG_4152.jpeg


Waiting for an ok to continue or better yet to re-do at least one side panel
 


Here’s a 2 bay CNW covered hopper from Athearn’s RTR series that the weathering was started this morning. It was inspected, cleaned and clear Matt finished a few weeks ago. No fading…

Pan Pastels so far!
IMG_4289.jpeg


IMG_4285.jpeg
IMG_4286.jpeg
IMG_4288.jpeg

Then the truck side frames

Done with Vallejo Panzer Aces #301 light rust and #302 dark rust dabbed on
IMG_4287.jpeg


The bottom of the car and the end panels will be air brushed

There are 3 more 2-bay hoppers for the same commission that should be completed in the next day or so, these are from Intermountain
IMG_4290.jpeg
 
I see ThomasJ49 has a end of the line thread for caboose.

I did my 1st ever plastic caboose before I left for golf about 12 days ago

IMG_4230.jpeg
IMG_4229.jpeg
IMG_4228.jpeg
IMG_4227.jpeg
IMG_4226.jpeg
IMG_4225.jpeg
IMG_4223.jpeg
IMG_4224.jpeg
IMG_4233.jpeg


As per my procedures I inspect, clean and add a clear matte finish the car. In this case I then went with the Pan Pastels on the caboose. After a few colors added and blended I clear coat again. This car has quite a few layers of Pan Pastels blended together with most being with brushes but there was some sponge work

Used these pan pastels that along with a colorless blender are my favorites
IMG_4289.jpeg

Wheel faces and truck frames were weathered with Vallejo Panzer Aces #302 dark rust
 
Here’s a bulkhead flat car from Atlas that is supposed to be just dirtied. Nothing rust bucket about this one and the client wanted to read most of the lettering on the car. Sent these pictures off on Saturday but he texted he’d let me know on Tuesday if he approves or not. Seems he was in Vegas going to watch some game on Sunday.

The normal, inspect, clean and a clear coat to start the process. Then a fade. Tamiya white thinned 20% paint to 80% Isopropyl Alcohol using the 91% concentration. My pharmacist found a case of 91% for me and ordered it for me. I prefer 99% but that has been difficult to find and what I do have I’m saving if I need to strip any paints.

After the fade was done to my satisfaction I hit it again with a clear matte finish. I then sprayed a Tamiya brown basically as a light mist to represent a light grime all over the car, incuding the bulkheads and underbody. The deck is applications of Pan Pastels red iron oxide extra dark and raw Umber extra dark applied with a sponge. A spray of 100% Tamiya xf86 flat clear sealed the Pan Pastels.

I then went with Vallejo Air burnt umber and touched every stake pocket with a brush. That was thinned 80% paint 20% tap water

The client did not want any additional kick up spray on the bulkheads

Finally the whole car was sprayed with another application of Tamiya’s xf86 flat clear but thinned 50/50 with Tamiya thinner x20A

IMG_4298.jpeg
IMG_4299.jpeg
IMG_4302.jpeg
IMG_4303.jpeg
IMG_4304.jpeg
IMG_4305.jpeg
IMG_4306.jpeg


The trucks and wheel faces were weathered with Vallejo Panzer Aces light 301 rust and dark 302 rust dabbed on with a brush. Because this car does go through a hump yard on the client’s layout the wheel rims were cleaned off.

your thoughts are welcome
 
I see ThomasJ49 has a end of the line thread for caboose.

I did my 1st ever plastic caboose before I left for golf about 12 days ago

View attachment 181121View attachment 181122View attachment 181123View attachment 181124View attachment 181125View attachment 181126View attachment 181127View attachment 181128View attachment 181129

As per my procedures I inspect, clean and add a clear matte finish the car. In this case I then went with the Pan Pastels on the caboose. After a few colors added and blended I clear coat again. This car has quite a few layers of Pan Pastels blended together with most being with brushes but there was some sponge work

Used these pan pastels that along with a colorless blender are my favorites
View attachment 181130
Wheel faces and truck frames were weathered with Vallejo Panzer Aces #302 dark rust
I like the looks of those hand rails, (looking at the caboose) nice work!

Dave LASM
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top