Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom, thank you for posting. I was thinking of letting the thread die out. Looking forward to how you weather the interior of the car. I sometimes have to tell my commissions that the interiors of aluminum cars generally don’t rust but the coal siding out will take it down to bare metal. Sometimes though they get the rust anyway!
What !!!!! No, your too good an artist to let the thread die out.
 
Tom, thank you for posting. I was thinking of letting the thread die out. Looking forward to how you weather the interior of the car. I sometimes have to tell my commissions that the interiors of aluminum cars generally don’t rust but the coal siding out will take it down to bare metal. Sometimes though they get the rust anyway!
I've seen many video's of overhead drone shots that the coal cars are clean inside. I would think aluminium would tarnish first.
 
Next were the trucks, using rust first then blend with earth. Last was to blend the trucks with grimy black to give a 3d effect. The body was then sprayed with grimy black to dull the body down. The last step (not done yet) will be dull coat the whole car.
IMG_6441.jpg
IMG_6442.jpg
IMG_6445.jpg
IMG_6447.jpg
IMG_6448.jpg
 


Whenever I try doing something like this, I am always too heavy handed with the airbrush.:oops:
If you ever notice where I take the pics there's newspaper with many different colors sprayed on it. When I spray a color I test how much is coming out and adjust the flow. If it plugs a bit back to the paper, open the tip to get it to flow and back it down to adjust the flow again.
 
What !!!!! No, your too good an artist to let the thread die out.
It’s a New Year and possible new mindset Chris. I’ve already reduced my weathering to 90% commissions based and while I had a great weathering year in 2023, it was too much. I have been threatening to reduce my online presence for a couple years already and while I have it’s still not enough.

My thoughts have been that the thread MAY HAVE run its course.

You may have noticed already less postings and reduced explanations in this thread. I would prefer to post less but with better more detailed explanations when I do as it was during the first postings. But being retired I can easily and do change my mind.
 
If you ever notice where I take the pics there's newspaper with many different colors sprayed on it. When I spray a color I test how much is coming out and adjust the flow. If it plugs a bit back to the paper, open the tip to get it to flow and back it down to adjust the flow again.
That’s an excellent idea. My go to is white paper toweling on the floor of the paint booth. No matter how many times I spray the same formulas you never how it will come out of the air brush
 
It’s a New Year and possible new mindset Chris. I’ve already reduced my weathering to 90% commissions based and while I had a great weathering year in 2023, it was too much. I have been threatening to reduce my online presence for a couple years already and while I have it’s still not enough.

My thoughts have been that the thread MAY HAVE run its course.

You may have noticed already less postings and reduced explanations in this thread. I would prefer to post less but with better more detailed explanations when I do as it was during the first postings. But being retired I can easily and do change my mind.
Well Tom if you could post something now and then, that would be fine. I have a few things coming up that I'll be posting like the coal cars. The engine thread is hard to keep going. I have one on order but won't be here till July.
 
Well Tom if you could post something now and then, that would be fine. I have a few things coming up that I'll be posting like the coal cars. The engine thread is hard to keep going. I have one on order but won't be here till July.
I will post just not as often

I have 8 with 2 more coming diesels on the need to do shelf, all commission work for March deliveries. I can post a couple of those
 


Some in progress shots

IMG_3769.jpeg
IMG_3770.jpeg

The client is thinking about the roof. He wanted them left clean but is re-thinking. The built dates for the cars are 2011 and 2017 and 2020 Proto pictures show some lower body grime but much more graffiti and tags. These cars have had a Matt clear coat added since these pictures were taken the other day. After the roof decision is made I will add another Matt clear coat and then some tags on both sides of the car. The graffiti is on one side of each car

Containers are in a different thread but here they are drying after the 1st clear coating was applied. Some of the 40 I am working on
IMG_5103.jpeg

The blue containers are from Atlas and are very nice models and IMO a good value. The 7 Hyundai are Walthers Scenemasters are ok as they lack the door detail rods that Atlas has for the same $$$.

I have shown this car before as a work in process and it continues to be… Client wants the grime on the car sides lightened up even more. This per a text received while typing the above container info
IMG_5101.jpeg
IMG_5100.jpeg
IMG_5099.jpeg
IMG_5098.jpeg
IMG_5097.jpeg
IMG_5096.jpeg


Finally one of mine. Being stripped back down. The fade wasn’t enough and the clear coat finish I used clouded up. This is the last car I used tap water to thin the matte finish. I have since gone to using distilled water ( a few weeks ago) and as of this morning thinning with the paint mfg suggestion to use their thinners.
IMG_5104.jpeg
 
How has that switch to distilled water done for you?
Better than the tap water IMO on my own stuff. I have decided if I’m going to thin clear matte and gloss finishes I am going to use the manufacturers thinner on client commissions. I cannot take the chance that I get those messes again!

My wife and I think we might know the issue. We moved to the new house in August 2023! I also no longer could find the water softening salt I was using on the city supplied water in the temporary housing. The new house is on well water. The laundry and my wash sinks in the shop are hooked up to the water softener that is now not only Well water supplied but the water softening salt is a different house brand from the HyVee grocery chain. That maybe the difference, but it’s just a guess.
 
Better than the tap water IMO on my own stuff. I have decided if I’m going to thin clear matte and gloss finishes I am going to use the manufacturers thinner on client commissions. I cannot take the chance that I get those messes again!

My wife and I think we might know the issue. We moved to the new house in August 2023!

I had wanted to ask if there had been any change in water chemistry/supply.
 
Cement hoppers. I thought I had posted those here but other then 1 picture, no real mention and no details.

I will go through my notes and write something tomorrow on the 2 Belle Chase Cement 2 bay hoppers. The only thing I can remember off hand is they are Accurail cars. These are a client commission that he will pick up in February so I can still grab some pictures
IMG_4979.jpeg
 
Some pictures of a finished product. I really thought I had posted pictures of this weathering process but I didn’t and I no longer keep in process pictures once a client has approved the car.

The finished car:
IMG_4035.jpeg

As always I inspect then wash the model. I use Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) to quickly clean the car. I usually do cleaning in odd groupings of 3, 5, 7 or 9. By time I finish cleaning the 3rd car that 1st one is ready to be worked. I use an air brush with the PSI set around 35.

IMG_4034.jpeg
IMG_4033.jpeg
IMG_4040.jpeg

When the cars are dry, I spray a clear coat. In this instance I used Army Painters Matt Varnish Air. Again I try to be efficient working in odd numbered groups. If I need to work on the cars I will put them into a dehydrator for about 90 minutes or if not they are put into a dust free enclosure overnight or longer…

IMG_4036.jpeg

Everything is dry and I am working on 2 Bay hoppers in Cement service. For this car I used the AK Dust Effects, hand brushed. On this particular car 3 applications one after another, no dry time needed But on the top and side panels only. I let dry for a few hours or overnight, then hit it with the clear varnish and let it sit overnight.
IMG_4038.jpeg
IMG_4037.jpeg


Next up is the rust. I used Abteilung 502 light rust. I touched the applicator to the top of where on the car I want the rust to run. Took a dry brush and pulled the rust down the car side. Took another pigment free brush and blended it in vigorously. To seal the rust pigment I used Tamiya xf86 Matt clear (straight not thinned) but I added 5 drops of x21 flat base and sprayed the whole car

IMG_4039.jpeg


After a period to dry, Vallejo Panzer Aces #302 dark rust thinned with distilled water roughly 50/50 and was applied by brush to the hatch covers on the topside of the car and in spots on the discharge chutes.


The bottom of the car was lightly air brushed using the dark rust but thinned 20% paint to 80% distill water.

Couplers, trucks and wheel faces were all done using the method described in the beginning of this thread on page 2

Both ends of the car basically was left alone and only the clear coats were applied, that gave the ends a slightly fade look

Sorry for the lack of in process pictures but I think you get the flow
 
Last edited:


Next car up is for me! This arrived on my WRVT RR on 10/10/2023

View attachment 176231

I love the private free lance rail cars available from HomeShops.net. This is a Tangent Baby High cube boxcar labeled for fellow Wisconsinite, Kenny Ravenscroft and his Pilar Valley Railway.

We model different eras but I wanted this car and heck it’s my railroad, so, time to get dirty…

1st up after cleaning it was time to mess up the lettering. Some Isopropyl Alcohol and a wet 1400 grit sanding stick and we’ve started, a picture of each side

View attachment 176234View attachment 176235
Very nice neat car!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top