I have had a few requests as to how I start my weathering processes. While I try to stay consistent with the process it’s not always 1-2-3 and away we go
This is a typical start up
1. Tag the box the car comes in with name and what is planned
on the car for James—weather, graffiti and tags. His full name
and address are on the other side of the box
2. Open, inspect and clean in warm soap and water
3. While drying I will bring out the items to be used, these go into a bin minus any thinners or brush cleaners
4. I always seem to start with the trucks and wheels sets. I take them off the car and put them in a cleaned yogurt container with the car info. These are a group of 3 Operator version from ST and the same owner so 1 container is fine. They are cleaned with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol scrupped with a toothbrush
5. While the truck frames and wheels are drying I will replace the couplers if asked. I don’t think a ScaleTrain diesel or freight car has ever gone out the door without me changing the couplers to a Kadee
6. A quick spray of VMS gloss varnish is added before decal graffiti is added
7. I add decal graffiti but not the tags as I will custom write them
8. After a few hours of drying I will spray Tamiya xf86 flat clear varnish on the car
9. I will the spray the fade color. Usually for me I use Tamiya but for these 3 cars I will use Vallejo Air 71.001 white thinned to 30%paint to 70% Vallejo airbrush thinner #71.161, 3 drops of paint 7 drops of thinner will do these 3 cars
10. After the fade has dried I will create a wash of mineral spirits and Abteilung502’s Burnt Umber and with a flat brush brush the sides and underside of the car.
11. I will spray the car again with Tamiya’s flat clear varnish
12. After the car drys I will take and dab the Abteilung502 into my pallet touch a brush to hinges and obvious spots rust may be
13. The top of the car and hatches will have AK rust and dark steel pigments. The hatches if replaced are usually fiberglass and I would touch them up with a wash of Vallejo USAF light Gray thinned with water
14. I will draw custom tags
15. If the client approves via pictures I will do a final spray coat of Tamiya flat clear
Steps 2 through 6 were done this morning as my plane is delayed till 6pm. Those steps for 3 cars took almost 1 hour and I don’t rush I just follow my procedures