Weathering Engines a Continuous thread.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I had to send a BLI GP20 back twice for the same issue. (light stopped working) They replaced the body on the second return and it's been working fine ever since. They also found the rear truck was out of spec and fixed that also. Sometimes there's just some quirks in the electronics.

On a different note, I finally got around to changing the horn volume on the Rapido 44 tonner posted above. The engine sound is perfect, but it drowned out the horn. Horn value is 0-255. The factory default is set at 126 and it seemed a bit quiet for a 2 chime horn. The bell was louder. I increased the horn value to 200 and it sounds perfect now.
 
I had to send a BLI GP20 back twice for the same issue. (light stopped working) They replaced the body on the second return and it's been working fine ever since. They also found the rear truck was out of spec and fixed that also. Sometimes there's just some quirks in the electronics.

On a different note, I finally got around to changing the horn volume on the Rapido 44 tonner posted above. The engine sound is perfect, but it drowned out the horn. Horn value is 0-255. The factory default is set at 126 and it seemed a bit quiet for a 2 chime horn. The bell was louder. I increased the horn value to 200 and it sounds perfect now.
I have a friend with a Loksound programmer. Taking this unit over tomorrow to re-set and try the unit again. The seller is insisting everything worked. I’ll give it another try before returning it. I purchased with PayPal so I am covered. By re-setting per his request and if it doesn’t work I have proof for a PayPal refund without question. I think on future STX previously owned diesels purchases I will ask for a video of the unit working. I’ve had no issues with Bowser or A. Genesis pre-owned buys.

David, isn’t 200 loud? The guy with the Loksound programmer has set my Loksound decoders at 150.
 


I have a friend with a Loksound programmer. Taking this unit over tomorrow to re-set and try the unit again. The seller is insisting everything worked. I’ll give it another try before returning it. I purchased with PayPal so I am covered. By re-setting per his request and if it doesn’t work I have proof for a PayPal refund without question. I think on future STX previously owned diesels purchases I will ask for a video of the unit working. I’ve had no issues with Bowser or A. Genesis pre-owned buys.

David, isn’t 200 loud? The guy with the Loksound programmer has set my Loksound decoders at 150.
On this engine it isn't. Before I increased the horn volume the bell would drown out the horn. On the 44 tonner you weathered the volumes are fine. Another one of those anomalies.
 
Do you have a loc programer. I've from time to time do firmware updates be able to make changes. Other things I've come across is the decoder sometimes gets out of whack and by saving the settings to a file I can reload the decoder and get it back to working. I bet the engine needs an update.
I do not own the ESU Loksound programmer but a friend does. I hope that’s all it needs is a reset and if it needs a firmware update we can do that.

I buy pre-owned Scaletrains diesels because after weathering they are easy to sell. Athearn Genesis diesels are tougher to sell. I prefer Soundtraxx Tsunami2 over the ESU Loksound V5 decoders. My Bowser units though are ESU. I have no Scaletrains diesels on my personal rosters except for the WC Heritage STX unit.
 
TLOC iam just wondering, is your weathering "business" good? I mean do you make a good amount of money on it? Or do you just do it because you love weathering and make a couple bucks of it? Iam really fascinated with the whole weathering scene, but myself iam (till now) too scared to start with a engine. i still have to try this on some cheap cars :)

here is a picture of my latest weathering project:

IMG_9206.JPG
 
TLOC iam just wondering, is your weathering "business" good? I mean do you make a good amount of money on it? Or do you just do it because you love weathering and make a couple bucks of it? Iam really fascinated with the whole weathering scene, but myself iam (till now) too scared to start with a engine. i still have to try this on some cheap cars :)

here is a picture of my latest weathering project:
That looks good. I am a complete novice and I'm struggling to get any decent-looking weathering. On the test pieces I've tried with Vallejo paints, it just looks like somebody splodged paint on the bridge. I've gotten slightly better results with some dirt-cheap [sic] weathering powders I picked up at Hobby Lobby. It's certainly easier to get good results on a lighter background - my truss bridge is matte black. Maybe I need to repaint it and start over.
 
I do not own the ESU Loksound programmer but a friend does. I hope that’s all it needs is a reset and if it needs a firmware update we can do that.

I buy pre-owned Scaletrains diesels because after weathering they are easy to sell. Athearn Genesis diesels are tougher to sell. I prefer Soundtraxx Tsunami2 over the ESU Loksound V5 decoders. My Bowser units though are ESU. I have no Scaletrains diesels on my personal rosters except for the WC Heritage STX unit.

I had no idea people were doing that. Given my attempts at weathering so far, I should look into finding people who sell weathered stock.
 
TLOC iam just wondering, is your weathering "business" good? I mean do you make a good amount of money on it? Or do you just do it because you love weathering and make a couple bucks of it? Iam really fascinated with the whole weathering scene, but myself iam (till now) too scared to start with a engine. i still have to try this on some cheap cars :)

here is a picture of my latest weathering project:

View attachment 213352
I sent you an email via the forum, but yes weathering is good
 


Good afternoon. Yesterday 3/12 I was able to get over to my friend’s and we played with CV settings on a few diesels but mainly it was for UP 2704 described on 3/4/2025in this thread. After playing with it I asked for a full re-set
IMG_0111.jpeg


That worked and the light package is working properly

IMG_0111.jpeg


IMG_0086.jpeg



Here is the actual unit

IMG_0105.jpeg
IMG_0106.jpeg
IMG_0107.jpeg
IMG_0109.jpeg


I will be masking the lights and glass

IMG_0110.jpeg


using Tamiya masking tape

After the masking I will spray Tamiya xf-86 Flat Clear with a drop or 2 of xf-3 flat yellow. After that dries I will fade the unit somemore if the unit needs it. This unit will be relativity clean and run in service with another ET44AC-T4 unit #2702 I had previously weathered for this client. 2702 is flowing through the USPS right now as he wants it’s cleaned up to match 2704!!!

IMG_4991.jpeg

Cleanup should be ok with Isopropyl Alcohol with make up sponges and cotton swabs/q-tips.

At least I am hoping
 
I am sending this unit back to the client. UP2704 is a Scaletrains diesel
IMG_0055.jpeg

I’ve never done this before. 1st the unit was for a weathering client who purchased it as a sound equipped unit for a good price from a Facebook seller he purchased from previously. (The lights didn’t work in that unit) The initial inspection indicated the light package did not work. Told the client who told the seller. Seller said I shipped it 3 weeks ago I am not refunding because too much time passed and who knows what happened till now!

Well seller was supposed to send it direct to me but sent it to a 3 year old address previously used in a PayPal transaction. Never looked at current PayPal address and ignored the buyer’s shipping instructions. It went to buyer’s mom’s residence who a few days after she got it sent it to me. USPS had some issues getting it her. Buyer said can u fix it? I didn’t want to but with a friend we were able to get the light package working.

I started to weather the grills and vents. Easy enough but when I went to remove the railings they are glued on. I’m not spending anymore time on this unit as I told my client to return it immediately after discovering the light package not working. I did try to move the glue but was unsuccessful and frankly I don’t want to
IMG_0146.jpeg
IMG_0145.jpeg
IMG_0144.jpeg
IMG_0143.jpeg
IMG_0142.jpeg


These are pictures of the blobs of glue. Every railing stanion is glued
 
Saying good bye is tough. Sold a unit that I really liked when I weathered it and than took it back in a trade with a client but it’s on the move to another good home. It’s just too much locomotive for my switching layout.


IMG_6554.jpeg
IMG_6555.jpeg
IMG_6556.jpeg
IMG_6557.jpeg
IMG_6548.jpeg
IMG_6544.jpeg
IMG_0046.jpeg
IMG_0045.jpeg
IMG_0040.jpeg
IMG_0043.jpeg
I know James will enjoy it
 
Time to head back to the bench. I have a few diesels that are due the end of July.

An old miserable friend is back. UP2704 I have posted about previously. The client after many discussions asked for a refund through PayPal. He received his refund, sent me a couple bucks and asked me to ship it back to the seller. The seller refused to accept the package and it was returned to my weathering client. He spoke to PayPal direct and they told him since the seller won’t accept it back keep it! Now I have it again.

I am going to remove the hand rails using acetone. One standion at a time. I will change out the ESU decoder to Tsunami2 and replace the STX speaker with a Scale Sound System unit. Then some weathering
IMG_6871.jpeg
IMG_6872.jpeg
IMG_6873.jpeg
IMG_6874.jpeg
IMG_1137.jpeg
IMG_1135.jpeg


The other unit is owned by the same weathering client so I will work on both. UP #1543 is about to get some masking. It will also get a new Tsunami2 decoder and new SSS speakers. Lots of graffiti will be added
IMG_1136.jpeg
IMG_1138.jpeg
IMG_1139.jpeg
IMG_1140.jpeg
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top