The wife's HO Atlas layout...

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Good to hear. Sometimes we do have to take a step (or 3) back to "regroup" ourselves, especially if something has not occurred as planned or hoped for.
 
Thanks Toot'n. I have actually made some progress already by fixing about 1/3 of the track down. Not all that pretty but functional.

Now I have done that, I am actually getting excited again and am finding it hard to leave.
 
I sure can't brag, I've been avoiding getting back to having another go at JMRI for programming my locos. What gets me is the techie talk and terminologies, they know what they're talking about and then assume everyone else is on the same page.
 


I sure can't brag, I've been avoiding getting back to having another go at JMRI for programming my locos. What gets me is the techie talk and terminologies, they know what they're talking about and then assume everyone else is on the same page.

I know exactly what you mean, that is one of the things that has kept me from doing some things too. Heck, I'm still trying to understand how to successfully program my DCC loco's using the controller!
 
Progress has been a little stunted these past few days, due to having to do a course over this past weekend. However, since my last post, I have gotten about 4' of the laid 20' (about) of track ballasted. This has been the most time consuming part of the layout to date. To be honest, I have become anal about getting it right.

The layout is still a mess (understatement) but will endeavor to get some pictures up over the next day or so.

Have been having some second thoughts about the townships will be set up as well. The reality is that no "town" is built on perfectly flat land, generally speaking. As such, I am plastering (albeit lightly) a more realistic terrain on which the towns will be built. The town layouts will remain as designed but will incorporate some hills to create what I hope will be something of interest.

The "removable section" is still under scrutiny and has been put on the back burner until I get (at least) the main line down, wired and operational. The same can be said for the scenery detail. No sense having a "pretty layout" if it doesn't run! :)

Well, that is where I am at as of this post but will ​get the much loved pictures up soon so stay tuned.
 
Toot'n,

Missoula does look "flat". You are right in saying I want prototypical environment. When I started this layout, I talked to my wife about where she wanted it based, US, European and so forth. We never really did settle on a region as she liked different things form different places. I think most people, understandably, just took it for granted that it was going to be a US layout.

I don't think that there is, or will be, anything prototypical about the layout in terms of its totality. The track work and "trains" will be American while the scenery and terrain will depict various regions around the world as a result of where I have lived and, where my wife and I have visited.

It is also going to end up being a transitional layout, of sorts. Picture the build in three separate sections, left, right and center. The left side (the town) will have an old English/Welsh feel to it, the center section a more Australian feel with the right section being more American. With that being said I want each area to be as accurate a representation of the area as possible while blending all 3 area's/regions together to appear as one.

I know it sounds a little mish mashed, but if I can get the "blending right, I think it will look okay.
 
Came across this seller on ebay.com.au, selling Australian trees and RR structures, seems to be NSW prototype mainly. Trees are fairly pricy but are individually made by him. Not sure if it's the same bloke, but there was one that had a stand at the Brisbane Train Show each year, actually built them as you watched. Made by the twisted wire and "No Gaps" caulking method. Think he might be selling those through Auscision Models http://www.auscisionmodels.com.au/Australian Trees.htm . The same packaging he was using.
 
Those tree are breathtaking, to say the least but, as mentioned, are a little pricey. I'd be well over a $1000 to buy them to fit the area I would want them for. Kind of a little too much for me at the moment.

Thanks for the link though, they really do look great!
.
 
Progress has been obviously slow, but that has been more of a decision on my part than anything.

This depicts what has been ballasted thus far:

FinalTrackPlan_zps27c3c35c-1_zps4986641b.jpg


This is how portions of that actually look:

IMG_0409_zps5c114606.jpg


IMG_0408_zps9fa98bf8.jpg


IMG_0407_zpsa13a502f.jpg


I obviously have a long way to go with this.

Aside from doing the ballasting, I have been slow fixing the track work to the road bed. Essentially, what has be fixed has been ballasted with the exception of a further couple of feet of track running up the left side of the layout.

Have also been doing some "Road Maint Work" on the main road across the front of the layout. Not too much to look at unless you like looking at plaster of paris built up and a little sanding to smooth apart of down. Thinking about putting in a Road work Crew just for the fun of it.

Just want to clarify one thing. The graphic of the layout depicts "Sectional Track". I just couldn't find the graphic where I used Flex Track, but Flex is what is being used.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Thank you toot'n.

Was a bit worried about the ballasting but now find it pretty easy and straight forward. I'm doing a little each day/night now instead of trying to just get it finished.

I know I have made one HUGE bugger up by not doing all the wiring and testing it before physically laying the track. Just have my fingers, legs, eyes and every thing else crossed that it's going to be okay. I have the ballasted section feeders in place so I could/should connect them to power and see what happens. That is the logical and practical me - The other me is scared shitless about doing it though :)

Gotta ask you - "...goin straight to the pool room..." ? Haven't heard that one before :)
 
In between this evenings posts, I have continued on getting the "main road" done. Even though I said it wasn't interesting, thought I'd post a few pics of my process of building the road:

This is the base of the layout with the roads form in place:

IMG_0414_zps24c9fac4.jpg


Next comes the build up of the roads sub structure, if you like, using plaster of paris to form that gradient etc:

IMG_0415_zps7d4c9bf0.jpg


Once that is done, I then begin the task of sanding it smooth to obtain an even finish:

IMG_0416_zps851bdcd3.jpg


Now that is done, I will putting on the (hopefully) final very thin and wetter than usual top coat of plaster to fill in the little "air bubble" holes. I'll then sand that down in readiness for the painting, weathering and detailing.
 
Thank you toot'n.


Gotta ask you - "...goin straight to the pool room..." ? Haven't heard that one before :)

Ah! You must have left here before '97, 'tis a quote from the movie "The Castle", a story about an ordinary Aussie family (not overly bright) battling the local airport, which they live right next to, which wants their home and land to expand and the court battle they have to keep it. They think it's the best place in the world to live.

This is what Dad (Michael Caton) says whenever they get something they like, such as a gift or something special. Corny humour but funny.
 
Okay - makes sense now. Truth is I didn't leave Oz permanently (so to speak) until 2007, just wasn't much into TV and still aren't really. Don't know if you'd call it corny humour or just a fair dinkum aussieism! That's a new word, aussieism, too by the way :)
 
TONY--Thanks for keeping us posted on "your" layout. I get a lot of good ideas from your work. And, I like the way it looks.

lasm
 
Tony, wouldn't you want the road surface to show those bubbles? After it is painted, it will look like pot holes. I'm not sure your plans for the color of the road, but let's assume it is black asphalt. You can use a touch of burnt umber in the paint to lighten it up a bit, then use ivory black to make tar lines in any grooves or cracks. Makes it look like the road is a little beaten up. And if you put out the work crew, you can make the perfectly smooth black road behind them, with the pot hole infested road in front.

Just an idea - don't get me wrong, I like the work! The ballast looks great (even that turnout in the other thread). The road looks to be coming along nicely also!

Keep the pictures coming! You do great work, I enjoy following.
 


TONY--Thanks for keeping us posted on "your" layout. I get a lot of good ideas from your work. And, I like the way it looks.

lasm

Thank you lasm, that really means a lot.

Honestly, I don't know what ideas you could get from what I do, but knowing that what I am doing perhaps helps others or gives them ideas really does make everything worth while.

Tony, wouldn't you want the road surface to show those bubbles? After it is painted, it will look like pot holes. I'm not sure your plans for the color of the road, but let's assume it is black asphalt. You can use a touch of burnt umber in the paint to lighten it up a bit, then use ivory black to make tar lines in any grooves or cracks. Makes it look like the road is a little beaten up. And if you put out the work crew, you can make the perfectly smooth black road behind them, with the pot hole infested road in front.

Just an idea - don't get me wrong, I like the work! The ballast looks great (even that turnout in the other thread). The road looks to be coming along nicely also!

Keep the pictures coming! You do great work, I enjoy following.

Thank you as well, but I wouldn't describe my work as great, while I might have spasmodic flashes of brilliance (kidding) most of it is pretty average compared to that of others. That, I suppose, is relative though.

As for the "bubbles", most of them were fairly large and would look more like craters than pot holes or there were so many in one area, it again would not look even closer to realistic. As such, I chose to sand the top back and will create my own pot holes and cracks. If it were a "handful" scattered here and there and were small, then I would have left them as you suggested.

The color of the road is still up in the air. I don't like a black, asphalt colored road as I don't really think that is realistic unless it is only a week or two old. I was leaning toward a grey color for the road surface and have been "experimenting" with different shades of grey. Basically I want to try to replicate the road as it is is outside of my house, pretty much exactly in terms of color, texture, cracks and so forth. To be honest, other than the road surface coloring (which is trial and error), I'm not all that sure how to best achieve the cracks and texture. Everything I have tried in the past never looked right to me.

If you have any advice regarding how to do cracks, you'll have my full attention.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top