The D&J Railroad -- From Scratch

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


You can run both Train Controller and JMRI if you have two LocoNet interfaces OR a software application like:

http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html

which makes one physical serial port look like two logical ports.

With that approach both Train Controller and JMRI can have their own dedicated serial port while communicating with the same LocoNet.

For those folks (if any) using a LocoBuffer USB, even though there is USB in the name the LocoBuffer USB device looks to applications like a serial port, so the program above will work.

The program is free for the 32 bit version and $25 for the 64 bit version - which is less then the cost of a LocoBuffer USB device ($63) but the use of a second LocoNet interface device can be a little easier to understand and setup.
 
That was going to be my next question about the PTB100. I have one on line with the programming track and I was wondering if that was hampering the read back function.
I do have the PR3 on the laptop that is running TCS. The laptop is up on a shelf over my desk. I wanted the programming track to be on line so I could drive a loco onto it instead of carrying it.
 
Last edited:
Don't overlook the programming capabilities of Train Controller (TC) and Train Programmer (TP).

TP is a more polished tool then JRMI DecoderPro3 and it integrates with Train Controller. On the other hand DecoderPro3 has a lot more decoders in its "database".

I believe there is a file for TP that adds a bunch of decoders from the JRMI database.

Train Controller/Train Programmer have the ability (if you wish to take advantage of it) to switch a block from the normal outputs of your command station to the programming outputs.

So you can define a new Engine in TC and (assuming the engine is in the "programming" block) then click the "Write Address" button and the engine is programmed with the new address.

You can set a few CVs directly from TC (those associated with profiling) but for complete configuration you need TP.

I use TC/TP for configuring my engines but I do use DecoderPro3 for configuring my RR-CirKits Tower Controllers - since I haven't gotten around to finishing the implementation of the TP "decoder definition" for the Tower Controller.

I should mention that you can define a TP "decoder definition" for just about any decoder out there if it is not already available for TP. Basically a "decoder definition" file describes to TP what CVs the decoder has and what values the CVs can have.

For example a CV can be defined to take a simple value from 0 to 255 and to set this value you simply type it into the edit box. However lets say the CV only takes the values 1, 2 and 3 and each value means something, say, Low, Medium and High. For this type of CV you can describe it to TP in such a way that you can select "Low, Medium or High" from a pull down menu rather then having to remember what 1,2 and 3 mean.

But that is just a small example of the versatility of the TP "decoder definition".

I haven't yet found a decoder that TP cannot program.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


If you get into transponding, see how well TP reads a Digitrax TL1. The only way I can read CVs with those is with the Zephyr. I may try TP as it makes a lot of sense since I already have TC. So if I get the port emulator software, I can run TCG and JMRI simultaneously on one PC with 1 PR3 interface?

I just ordered a Digitrax TL1 to try.

I normally have a PTB100 connected but I can disconnect it as needed to see it has any negative effects.

With the software you should be able to run both TC and JRMI applications at the same time. Now I don't use a PR3 (although I think I have one), I use LocoBuffer USB devices. As I mentioned the LocoBuffer USB devices appear to application software as serial ports and they work fine with that emulator software I mentioned.

I have the emulator software setup to automatically start in the background so it is up and running whenever I need to start a JRMI application while TC is running.
 
Oh, I didn't know TC offered a decoder programmer. I guess that's what the manual is for. I'll have to check that out, probably tomorrow when I have a little time in the evening. I have some guests coming over on Saturday to run trains for a bit, then we are going up to Timonium for the show Saturday afternoon.
 
I already downloaded VSPE and will try it. I don't have a problem switching between TC and JMRI but it would be nice to be able run them both at the same time.

Yes it is very nice to be able to jump into JRMI for whatever reason and not have to stop TC. Also there are tools in JMRI that can be used to debug certain problems that these NEED to be run at the same time as TC.

If you need help with the program settings let me know.
 
Hi Jerry,

Glad you got it working.

To load the configuration file at start up add the following after the program entry in the start up short cut.

-minimize "c:\the_folder_where_the_configuration_file_is_located\the_configuration_file_name.the_configuration_file_extension"

Do you understand what I mean by all those place holder names?
 
I don't often make use of that feature of windows and tend to forget it works.

But I would think that approach would not minimize the application.
 


Another Crossover installed - Video

Moving along to get more scenery on the empire and crossovers and turnouts for industry. I finished installing another #10 crossover that will eliminate the bottleneck that was caused by activity moving into and out of the coal facility. This gives trains a run around in left hand running mode for about a mile and a half. The turnout status is relayed to the interlocking signal system to keep trains from running against a thrown turnout and to caution trains of the restricted speed when going through it as demonstrated in the video.


 
Last edited:
Installed a truss bridge today. Took about an hour from first cut to setting the weights to hold the glued parts down.
 
Last edited:
Traffic is running again on the D&J Railroad.
This bridge is a Campbell bridge kit. It started out as a box of sticks and a construction template. I built it about 20 years ago and it was used on the previous D&J Railroad.

 
Last edited:
I started building the supports for the mountain system. I'm using the blue, 2" foam board then will cover that with aluminum screen then wall plaster over that. I will add some earth tone to the plaster before spreading it.
I started this work in the area of the bridge I recently installed as I'm motivated to build the dramatic ravine system.
I'm thinking now, the stack to the left of the bridge is taller than I want it to be. I want it to slant more backward with about the same height it has now. The taller mountain structure will be behind the tunnel portal.
I will whittle some of the foam material away with a drywall saw before applying the screen over it.

0824141851.jpg
 
Last edited:


I sure like watching the progress you're making. Great pictures and Videos. A lot faster than my little railroad. Waiting for some scenery. A couple of years maybe ?? That a nice looking layout.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top