The D&J Railroad -- From Scratch

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


What about using steel studs for the framing of the layouts? Then plywood on top for tracks? Steel studs used in office buildings works.
Steel studs are great for production work, when everything is modular. Fine for buildings, so-so for houses, I don't think it would be my choice for a layout. I think the most practical choice for layout support would be two pieces of construction grade (or subfloor grade) 3/4" ply sandwiched, 3" wide, glued with construction adhesive and nailed every foot to provide a clamp while curing. A bit more expensive than dimensional lumber, and more work, but not much more of either, and excellent stability.
 
Did some scenery work on the D&J Railroad. Started with wire screen that is tacked down to the benchwork then covered with wall plaster mud.

IMG_6234.JPG


The top layer of mud will have coloring added to it along with texture so chips won't reveal the white plaster.
 
Last edited:
Decisions, decisions. I took the laptop out of the loconet to find a permanent location for it in the basement. I had been moving it around the layout while programming the signal heads. A lot of times it would be sitting on the track. Not practical for running trains. I would like to have it as close to the main power switch of the layout so I can turn them both on from the same location. The benchwork near the main power switch doesn't support that idea to well though.
The laptop would be encroaching on the benchwork to much. I thought maybe I could build a drawer that the laptop could sit on and could be folded closed then pushed back into the benchwork. That is a bit more than I would like to try to engineer. It would require cutting away one of the wall supports to the benchwork.
0628151511a.jpg



Then I considered building a shelf over my work bench. Getting 120VAC to it would not be a problem, but getting the loconet to it will be a bit of a challenge. I would have to run the loconet through the wall which is the staircase coming down to the basement, across to the other side of the staircase, up to the main house support beam and over to a support post that runs down into the layout. From there, I can tap it into the loconet.
I decided the shelf would be the best route. It's about 6 feet wide. The laptop will go on the left end where I will add an extension to the shelf so it supports the whole laptop. The mouse pad will be on the right of the laptop. Did some measurements tonight, located the studs behind the wall, cut some material and did a basic shelf mount to the wall to see if I like it.

IMG_6309.JPG

This desk is in the same section of the basement as the main power switch. Actually, I was leaning up against it when I took this picture.
 
Last edited:


I decided to go with the wall mounted shelf using the prefab stuff.
The shelf is 8' wide and about 18" deep. Big enough to hold the laptop with plenty of room for the mouse action.
I have another shelf that will go above and will probably pick up another shelf for more stuff higher up. The basement ceiling is 9'.
The layout can be seen on the laptop screen with a few trains running, the black blocks show occupancy.

1118141201.jpg
 
Last edited:
Hi Ken,

I face the same decision - where to put the hardware - I've had an idea in the back of my head for awhile - I thought I might take a break from wiring and do some carpentry this weekend.

If I come up with anything interesting I'll post some pics.

Keep up the good work.
 
This is going fantastically and your detailed updates are of great benefit. Your layout shows just how much work can be put into this hobby. Still following, and still interested!
 
The new UP5 has an additional tap on it for a third loconet cable. The laptop in on a 40 foot long cable that taps into the loconet through the UP5.
 
Last edited:
Another local freight leaves the sorting yard to deliver loads to the local industries along the D&J Railroad.

 
Last edited:


Started cutting in some industry sidings. The old saying is true: build the railroad and industry will follow. The siding is in section 3 of the layout. What in particular the industry will be is yet to be determined. The contracting agency only told me he wanted a single track rail 300 feet long. I cut the turnout into the mainline then wired it to the SE8C board for in section 2. All the slots for turnouts were used in the SE8C board of section 3. I had to make two runs of wire pairs; one for the Tortoise Machine and one for the push button control. The #10 is fitting for the high speed mainline and the turnout is protected by interlocking signals. The siding itself will have a two lamp dwarf signal on the approach to the mainline.

1118141727.jpg
 
Last edited:
Love it Ken. I think I told you once before, but my boy would just love watching your trains run. Every time I start up one of your videos he climbs on my lap and goes CHOO CHOO! Simply awesome!
 
Hey Ken,

Finally got my layout computer installed (temporarily) in it's permanent home. The triangular section on which it is sitting is a separate "table" that can be unbolted and pulled out. I did this because I am not ready to start on the lower level yet but will need to get to the area behind the computer - thus the removable section.

As you can see the monitor support allows me to tuck the unit out of the way (somewhat) or position it for sitting or standing use.


I also included a picture of the case I found to use for the computer - it only seemed right to have a railroad themed case for running a railroad. :p


Very glad to have this part done at last - you are a great source of motivation - thanks!
 

Attachments

  • 100_0798.jpg
    100_0798.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 352
  • 100_0797.jpg
    100_0797.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 331
  • 100_0796.jpg
    100_0796.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 342
I like the computer case. Very fitting.
I'm putting another video together that I shot this evening. I should have it on here by midnight.
 
Some slow drag action on the D&J Railroad as a set of BNSF units move a cut of hoppers back to the coal facility.

 
Last edited:
Here is a video that provides an overall look of the empire from one position while following an oil can train.

 
Last edited:
Installed another turnout tonight and wired it up to the SE8C for push button and DT402D control.
This will be the lead to an oil refinery back in the area to the top right in the picture. Should be able to park at least 40 tank cars in there easily.

1020161114.jpg


The second picture is the SE8C board with the new wire connections. I can add two more turnouts to it.

IMG_6325.JPG
 
Last edited:






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top