Running Bear's September 2026 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
@chadbag I stand corrected, there is a flag set for the EF81. Let me know if you want one of these. The kit is only ¥1760 yen ~$11. It'll probably fit in a letter envelope.

View attachment 274546

I mean, you gotta admit that it sort of looks photoshopped 😅
Right now I’m not spending money on train stuff. I also have no place to set up.

Thanks for the offer.

I don’t have any of the total carriage stuff either. Just the correctly painted EF81.
 


Anybody been to a DuckDonuts? It’s a national chain started in Duck, NC in 2006. 127 locations as of June 2026. We had a 2–1 coupon that expires at midnight so we thought we’d try it on the Pharmacy run this morning. A light cake donut you add toppings to. From the website:

Duck Donuts' menu predominantly comprises doughnuts, sandwiches, coffee, and desserts.[20] The cake doughnuts at Duck Donuts are made-to-order and customizable, with topping options including chopped bacon and peanuts.[21] The entire doughnut-making process is automated using doughnut makers from Belshaw Adamatic.[22]

It’s an excellent donut made better by our 2-1 coupon. $3.00 each so with coupon on par with cake donuts in the area (HyVee, KwikTrip and Casey’s) Just wondering if anyone has been to one. Definitely better than Dunkin Donuts, Shipley Do Nuts and Kristy Crème IMOO,

Then we hit a great bakery and chocolate shop along the way, sort of. Again using coupons expiring at midnight. You never can go wrong with chocolate covered anything as this place’s sugar free chocolates taste like the real thing.

That is it
 
Anybody been to a DuckDonuts? It’s a national chain started in Duck, NC in 2006. 127 locations as of June 2026. We had a 2–1 coupon that expires at midnight so we thought we’d try it on the Pharmacy run this morning. A light cake donut you add toppings to.
That sounds interesting. Never heard of it.

We have a “new” place around here. Pink Box donuts. They took over a Zaxby’s location down in Lehi Utah and I saw a billboard for one in Las Vegas on the weekend. Haven’t tried them. Wanted to. The one in Lehi is next to In-N-Out. We stopped to get burgers after my daughter’s HS graduation event in June and I wanted to try out the donut place but I got overruled.
 


Good afternoon shop dwellers, ya it's been a while since I have posted here or been on this forum. I hope this finds everyone doing well or the best they can be! As we know life is what happens when you are making plans.

Layout news; I tore down my last layout over the the winter '25 and spring '26. That room is now a guest bedroom. I have moved everything down to my lower level of my house. Currently everything is catergorized in Home Depot black & yellow tote boxes. It was a rather large undertaking. I also relocated all of my 2x4 gridwork which will re-used for the next layout build. I am a few weeks away on starting that build. Plans have been drawn and tweaking is on going. I have to finish the flooring for the new location. I have already repainted walls and ceilings. This room is 14x20. I plan for around the room grid layout and 2 tier second level with a helix in the adjacent room. The adjacent room will be the workshop/staging as well. That area is 9x8. Photos will follow on a new thread at a later date.

Currently I have a full house. My sister is visiting and staying in my humble adobe. Along with her better half. I also have a close family friend staying with us for a few days as she was my younger sister's best friend whom passed away 3 years ago. She is my nephews Godmother. She will soon leave in a few days and then I have friends from Alabama coming in on the weekend of the 10th which is Columbus day weekend. So yes I have been quite busy. Aside from all of that my father is dealing with terminal cancer, multiple myeloma. He has it bad all through out his bone marrow. I have been caring for him and helping my mother cope with all of the medical care etc. Not fun. Dad spirits are pretty good all things considered. Circle of life.

Work has been busy this year. Fishing has been sparse due to my family duties. I will be winterizing all of the boats in the next 2 weeks.Prepping for fall and winter weather. I have to order some oil andget a few cords of wood for my place and my parents place. I am now managing my parents place 100% as well as mine. It can be exhausting but I manage. My sister being here has helped tremendously.

Train front other than the layout relocation being work in progress not much else is new due to being quite busy with family duties. I have made a lot of purchases over the last 6 months. Cars, locomotives, kits, and supplies including more track and switches. I also purchsed the pre-fab helix from Prose which will be fantastic to assemble and headache free. It should go quickly. I did see Big Boy this past summer as I am sure many of you have. I went down to Owego, NY to see it. Pretty awesome. I now have seen all of the UP steam inaction in person, 844, 3985 and 4014! Sweet! Hope to see UP 5511 under steam in the near future. Of course the rebirth of 3985 too...

Ya'llhave a good one I will pop in from time to time when I can.


Peace
 
Last edited:
I would have owned “diving”. Much more impressive 😉😉
It's a fun hobby. I am a NAUI Divemaster/Instructor

I have been diving for years with over 3k dives. I lived in Florida off and on over 20 years. Off shore diving and beach diving etc. I used to be part of a group where we would train and certify less forunate kids and parents to dive and be stewards of the underwater environment. It was satifying to do that. The 2nd picture group shot, me on the lower left a little bit younger in the hat next to my Marine friend Bob. 4th picture me on the far left doing a beach dive hunting for sharks teeth. Last pic is me on the lower left under water around 75 feet at Finns Barge Wreck.
 

Attachments

  • 4-27-10 spanish rocks dive.jpg
    4-27-10 spanish rocks dive.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 600_MoteDC600_023.jpg
    600_MoteDC600_023.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Barracuda.JPG
    Barracuda.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Diving @ Coquina Beach.jpg
    Diving @ Coquina Beach.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 6
  • James Rowland & Mark Meador Diving.JPG
    James Rowland & Mark Meador Diving.JPG
    263.9 KB · Views: 7
@Alcomotive , welcome back. Prayers from here, my Wife and I were the caregivers for our parents the last years of their lives.
Quiet day around here, gotta run a couple errands in a minute, I'm a bit better today from whatever bug I picked up. Back to the Church Bible Class tonight, week 7 of 16, great courses. Broke my rule and ordered another locomotive...why can't I resist N scale steam locomotives with Vanderbilt tenders? I will blame @troyphoto , btw, tell your PT guy to knock off the ego stuff. I had to do that once, and I always got compliments for my ethic on PT. Some of them have to try to prove something I guess.
You guys have a good day.
 
Remember the invasion of this forum by bots farming the content we collectively posted.

Today I used the term "Benny Drill" to describe a mine run on the former Lehigh and New England Railroad back in 1976.
A member of the Reading e-mail group googled "Benny Drill" as he was unfamiliar with the term.

The Result:
A quotation based on my of my posts in the May 2023 archives of the Coffee Shop, page 29; and the May 2024 archive of the Coffee Shop, Page 49. These were posts approaching memorial day where I referred to the BENNYs and their annual summer migration to the Jersey Shore. My Annual RDC Named the Benny Drill and other points of interest.

Now we know our suspicions about the bots were correct. Even my wife knew it was my posts repeated to this other fellow by AI, without other attribution (Boris or Joe).

If I can figure out how, I will attach the file for everyone's amusment.


49. These were posts approaching memorial day where I referred to the BENNYs and their annual summer migration to the Jersey Shore. My Annual RDC Named the Benny Drill and other points of interest.

Now we know our suspicions about the bots were correct. Even my wife knew it was my posts repeated to this other fellow by AI, without other attribution (Boris or Joe).

If I can figure out how, I will attach the file for everyone's amusment.
 
All of the posts regarding donuts made my glucose level rise without even eating any. It apparently rained a bit while I was napping! There's water in my gauge, but not enough to accurately measure. Weather Underground station around the corner shows 0.06". I only checked the gauge because there appeared to be less dust on the car. Porch wasn't wet though. Might be more coming. It's coming from the SSW, which is really rare for us.
 
Good morning all. Up at 0400 for no reason. Eyes popped open and couldn't go back under, so fired up the computers.

Raining right now and hopefully the yellow thing in the sky will have a chance to pop out as guessed.

Weighed in at 59.35 kg this morning so am slowly whittling away. Has to be muscle mass as I am not permitted to lift anything. We did a lot of walking yesterday on the trip to the doc. Wife won't let me even feed the fish or get my hands dirty for fear of contaminating my eye. I'll do my high knee marching in place and side bends again to keep the blood flowing.

But, washing my hair was awesome! I'm going to wash that grease right out of my hair! But no Calgon, take me away! moment, at least for a while.

I carry my phone when I go walking around the neighborhood. I turn the camera on when I cross streets as the law states that the cars are supposed to stop if a pedestrian is crossing in the crosswalk. That law (more like a suggestion), like any other, is only good if enforced and since there's hardly any police around, it ain't. I used to see people get honked by a car when they inconvenienced the driver by crossing the street. I've had a few close calls myself, so I record it now. Since I started doing that, no close calls, imagine that.

My neighbor's daughter did a double whammy IRT to street crossing. She was entering the main street from the road that I needed to make a right turn into. A kid was crossing that road that she was stopped at. I waited for that kid to cross before I started my turn. Well the neighbor's daughter just went in front of the crossing kid and cutting me off as I was leaning into the turn. Two incidents in one fell swoop. And she had two kids of her own in the car. I don't remember if I gave her the horn, but she did get some colorful gestures. She now gets the evil eye everytime she visits her mom.
 
Last edited:


BP measured in at 103/68 this am, so will skip the lisinopril and measure later. This time I remembered the plan. :)

My heart rate was so low while I was a guest at the hospital that they took me off of the Metoprolol I take. Some nights while I was in and out of sleep it fell into the high 40s. It never went above 60 the whole time I was there and that was rare.

I know how you feel about that first wash after being sprung. I just wanted to stand there in the shower for an hour. If my hair wasn't as short as it was (and I still was needing a haircut) it would have been a real mess.

Another time my BP was down in the 80s/64 area. They checked it manually and it was closer to 90/. But, overall it was never over 118/70 for my entire stay. It has also been lower than usual on follow up visits.

All three CT scans gave my innards a clean bill of health aside from a slight thickening in my lower right ventrical from past infarc 16 years ago. Liver and kidneys good, stomach, bowel clear, pancreas, lungs, and everything else in there all looked good. Found out I have a little extra sigmoid colon length which I was told is normal, but not everyone has it. Bowel movement are a little farther between for me because of it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top