Running Bear's October 2026 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Good morning from Wisconsin where Mother Nature has her own way and really doesn’t care what the NWS says. Our rain event yesterday afternoon was a joke. Barely dampen the rain gauge. It’s 51f degrees heading to 85 and clear skies

The grandson and his soccer team are in the Green Bay Area this weekend.They ran into the Packer game at noon Sunday issues. Area hotels only take 2 or some 3 night reservations on Packer game weekends. The team manager needed some help from other team parents calling hotels that would do 2 nights without a 90 minute drive.

Thanks guys for the well wishes for Terry’s medical stuff. I’m a wreck but she outwardly is fine.

I stopped yesterday at the hockey rink’s pro shop. This year he raised his discount for members to 20% off. I still spent on 2 hockey sticks for the grandson $490 including taxes. He usually goes through 3 sticks during Winter hockey. Tryouts are over and the daughter who is a hockey board member says the griping about where people’s kids was placed has started. Said most of it so far has been at the beginning mite levels 4-7 years old travel teams.

I have a large new supply of diet Dr Pepper and A/W sugar free Root Beer. 24 packs, no limits, no minimums were marked at $6.99 for 12oz cans. Terry laughed yesterday as we were there to spend $40 to get $.20 per gallon gas rewards. It was a nice surprise. I even purchased a case of 7up Sugarless! We didn’t buy the items she had on the list. We have $1.00 per gallon gas rewards from just yesterday soda buy!!!

Today we are heading west and will overnight somewhere along the Mississippi River. Chasing the changing tree leave colors. Usually a 90 minute trip to Prairie du Chein the tree chasing route will be about 3 hours taking the state’s marked Rustic Trail roads and tree lined roads we are aware of. We will decide this afternoon after a light lunch if we stay on the Wisconsin side of the River or go across to the Minnesota side.

Enjoy your day
 
Good morning. 54°F out there heading for around 80°F today. Real October weather. Riiiight.

UTI seems to be getting better. Not there yet though, but it's only the third day of this latest round of antibiotics. Four days to go.

Nothing going on here today. Thought we might get a shower from the hurricane, but it will be too far east for us to get anything but a cloud band or two moving though the region.

Prayers for your wife Tom.

Servus!
 


Central Alabama got thru the weather relatively unscathed. Only one tree on a home ib the Birmingham area with no injuries.
Had a trucker hit a tree on I20 about 25 miles from the Alabama - Georgia line about 3:30 this morning

Heading down to Mc Wane Science Center in a few minutes to work on the court house for the layout.

Y'all have a great day!
 
When you wake up in the middle of the night from Friday into Saturday and you get scared because you forgot to set the alarm for work...only to remember that this is the weekend and you don't have to go to work, you know you're working too hard and took up way too many projects. It's time to relax and have a completely unproductive day. So I'm outside doing what i like to do:
IMG_20261010_101937097_HDR.jpg

First catch of the day. This is actually a pusher and the train is going south on former Reading route to Hagerstown, Md. Place is Lemoyne, Pa, just across from Harrisburg on the west shore of Susquehanna River.
 
Good Morning All from a sunshine-soaked Galveston TX, where it is 80°. Back home it's also sunshine and 66°.

Today is our visit to the Texas City Museum, located back on the mainland about 14 miles away. From here, it's only two turns! It's a nifty museum all about the history of Texas City, including an extensive display of the Texas City disaster of 1947. If you get a chance, read the link for more information on what is the largest industrial accident in the US. The entire second floor of the museum is for a number of model railroad displays sponsored by the Galveston County Model Railroad Club. It's only open on Saturdays. While none of the railroads/layouts are connected to Texas City's history, it's a nice fit to the rest of the museum. I charged the camera battery overnight so I'll have plenty of pictures for you next week.

Nothing else going on with me right now. I am a bit disappointed with our accommodations, but it is a last minute switcheroo. There seems to be some kind of electricians convention going on right now. The rooms here have a mini-fridge but no freezer. There's no microwave, no complimentary breakfast or happy hour; unlike most other Hiltons that we have stayed at. There is a swim-up bar in the pool, but I don't own a bathing suit. I use the one right inside.

Tom O - Thanks for repeating the sisal bush process. I am very interested. Especially since we have a lot of sisal rope left over from the macramé craze of the 70's.

Rocker David Lee Roth notably from Van Halen is 72 today. Tanya Tucker is 68 today.

Everybody have a great Saturday. Here's hoping that Troy finishes his layout some day.
 
Good Morning All!
41F @ 74% partly. No white in the forecast ... yet but the temps are nearing low 30's at night.

@santafewillie Been to Galveston once where we dropped a load somewhere. Major thing I remember is seeing the -12Ft elevation sign going in. Other than that, was a beautiful night and next day. Did a 10 there and found food/shower/TV.

Site is acting up again. CloudFlare is claiming my PC is good, CF is good ( Seattle ) but MRF is too busy to reply. What changed?

L8r
 
@TLOC praying for you both here. @troyphoto and @RhB Michael and @Kusojiji still praying for you guys too! 73 here and heading for 91, Andra has been selling some excess furniture, some left Thursday and some is supposed to go today. Gotta wrap up a box and get it to the Post Office today or Monday. Hope to get some more time on the porch today organizing the new storage units.
@bnsf971 yup, that axle got broke, but I can swap it out for a Kato axle from one of their passenger trucks.
Hope you guys do well today!
 


Too much spinach can cause kidney problems.
Absolutely!

After being diagnosed with kidney disease one of the first questions they asked about my diet - did i eat spinach? WTF! Yes, i eat spinach - I have always loved spinach and ate lots of it my entire life. They said that was good and I could keep eating it. Some people run the risk of kidney stones possibly from too much spinach. Since I had been eating it with no kidney stones, I could keep eating it and I do! Thank God everyone is different.
 
Good Afternoon All. Nice clear sky and now 80°, quite windy though. Red flags out on the beach and the waves look quite angry. Walked out on the beach and the jetty; water is quite warm, internet says 84°. This is a much different beach than the one in the Gulf Shores area. This one is very short and the dune between it and the seawall is much more vegetated. The seawall itself is different in that there is none along the Alabama/Florida coast. Immediately atop the seawall is a busy road between the beach and our hotel. Here there is nothing but a couple of high-rise hotels and lots of small businesses. Along the AL coast there are mainly houses (to rent) and high-rise condos. Then there is a street and lots more houses and small tourist businesses.

Lunch today was leftovers from Thursday night, heated in their black to-go boxes on the window sill in the sun while we were gone...no microwave in these rooms.

Everyone continue to have a great day while I go nap.
 
@TLOC praying for you both here. @troyphoto and @RhB Michael and @Kusojiji still praying for you guys too! 73 here and heading for 91, Andra has been selling some excess furniture, some left Thursday and some is supposed to go today. Gotta wrap up a box and get it to the Post Office today or Monday. Hope to get some more time on the porch today organizing the new storage units.
@bnsf971 yup, that axle got broke, but I can swap it out for a Kato axle from one of their passenger trucks.
Hope you guys do well today!

Thank you
 
Good day to all..........

92 degrees here in west Texas.
No human check for me today, at least not on the forum.

Since postal rates have gone up (again) I have this to report :
I sent a check (letter mail) for payment on a boxcar to Minneapolis Minn. It took 7 days to get there.
Item left Minn on Oct 6. to Saint Paul.
Departed Saint Paul Minn on Oct 7.
Arrived in Dallas Tx on Oct 7
Arrived in FT Worth on Oct 7
Departed FT Worth on Oct 8
Arrived in Seymour p. o. (my mail comes from here) on Oct 8....good to this point but
Seymour sends item to Grayford Tx ??????
Departed Graford Tx on Oct 9
Arrives in Ft Worth on Oct 9
Departed Ft Worth on Oct 9
Arrived in Olney Tx Oct 10.......now being processed in Olney Tx.

It is like "Post Office Pinball" , ding, ding, ding, the more locations the item hits, the more points the p. o. racks up.

I ordered some items from the NPRHA on Aug 1st.
NPRHA sat on my order for 5 weeks. When they mailed it, I checked the tracking number provided on the next day and it said the tracking number had been cancelled. After my third phone call to them, my package finally got mailed for real.......only to suffer from the "Post Office Pinball" as mentioned above (only to different cities in Texas). My order finally arrived on Oct 1st, two months after my order was sent.

And I see on the news that the FBI has staged several raids on the post office in Kansas City for stolen firearms and other items. Plus trailers of mail have sat for weeks because someone in management thought they were sent.
An employee who has worked there 11 years said changes in upper management had resulted in poor operations and the hiring practices had been changed so just anyone off the street can get hired, no background checks or aptitude test anymore. Plus upper management did away with the postal police at the Kansas City location.

My back hurts today and I have a small drafting project to finish so my customer can have it first thing Monday morning. And I still have to get my taxes together (for 2025) and get them to a new tax person. Taxes will probably run past the 15th due date but that is fine, the penalties can't be all that bad. Besides I have a $1,426.00 credit with the IRS from an overpayment two years ago.

Too much to do and not enough time. I haven't been in the train room in 5 days. And getting older, I'm moving slower each day.
I'm telling my old customer (and friend) that I am not taking in anymore work after the end of this year.
I figure when I die, my headstone will read : WestTexJohn....worked all his life but never had time to enjoy what he earned.
Life sucks then you die.

Take care..........John
 


Good morning all. Nice sunny day with the outside temps at 18C / 65F. They days have been starting cool in the house, but the dining room / kitchen gets hot from the afternoon sun. We lower the shutter and have the sliding door open as well as the kitchen door window and the front door open with the screen door closed to get the air through, but it still gets hot. Have to fire up the A/C for that room. The rest of the house remains cool.

I'm now down to two eye drops instead of three so that's good and two more weeks before I can start lifting anything over 5 kg. I think that 5 kg number is just a generic number that they all use, but they should gauge it by a person's capability. 5 kg may be grunting level for some, but not for me. No teeth clenching, eye squeezing at that level. But it is what it is and my wife will keep me to it.

I forgot to check how much pregabilin I have left and I don't have much remaining since I have been taking two per day. The prescription refill line won't let me refill before the end of the month, so I messaged the doc to see if he can push that date forward. Sometimes automation doesn't work when the doc gives me a fudge factor.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top