Running Bear's October 2026 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


IMG_8722.jpeg
 
Dang! Some people are just f-ing punks doing sh!t like that. I don't know if it would cause a fire or not, but if it can, I'd make sure to make a point of it. Check his rating on fleabay and help to lower it.
If left unnoticed/unattended it can cause a fire. That fellow that does the U-tube videos for MRH had a fire caused by a short. Enough juice goes through a DCC system to generate sufficient heat to combust when conditions are ripe.

In this case the wrong type of light bulbs caused an overheat situation...The electronics are real, these are not toys. Low voltage shorts, such as with phone chargers have caused house fires. They are so common, that they rival smoking in bed back in the day.
 


Good morning gentlemen, and what a bright and brilliant morning it is here in the Bronx...pun intended:View attachment 274899View attachment 274900View attachment 274901View attachment 274902
The boys just got in and are on top of it;View attachment 274903View attachment 274904
General Motors is facing significant trouble with its 6.2-liter L87 V8 EcoTec3 engine, which is plagued by catastrophic failures due to manufacturing defects. And they have been known to burst into flames while driving or parked.
 
Sounds like lack of common sense played a big roll in that fire!

Leaving trains running unattended.
Lack of short circuit protection.

At least he had the sense to have a working fire extinguisher nearby, might of save his house, or at least limited the damage.
Mike,you're right. I wanted to point out that this happens a lot with all the sensitive devices we have access to.
 


Does someone sell a short protection circuit for DC? Or are we relying on the controller for that? My Kato SX controller has a circuit breaker that I've caused to pop before, so I know it works. Not sure about my MRC Tech 3 Model 9000 though.

Since that story came out, I have made sure to park my locos on both N and HO rails (I often run both at the same time) at the "train station" before leaving the room. Sometimes the trains have to do mach 1 to get there if my need to leave the room is too great to handle...
 
General Motors is facing significant trouble with its 6.2-liter L87 V8 EcoTec3 engine, which is plagued by catastrophic failures due to manufacturing defects. And they have been known to burst into flames while driving or parked.
It's more than manufacturing defects. It's engineering failures. I'm not a GM person nor a gear head but I've been watching some YouTube videos put out by gear heads and engineers on the issue.
 
General Motors is facing significant trouble with its 6.2-liter L87 V8 EcoTec3 engine, which is plagued by catastrophic failures due to manufacturing defects. And they have been known to burst into flames while driving or parked.
We've replaced quite a few 6.2 L87 engines. Mostly crankshaft main bearings seizing . It basically goes back to crankshafts not finished correctly. A rougher surface against the main bearings than it should be.. In rare instances a connecting rod exits the block, but usually the crankshaft stops turning 1st. That being said, it amazes me that someone cannot hear the engine in its death throws, unless they are using that Bose sound system too liberally. I have not seen any burst into flames due to engine failure. I have seen them burn though due to improper re-use of fuel lines after removing fuel injectors. Single use means you buy new once they are separated. Ignoring the shop manual can be hazardous! You would be surprised an a modern engine how many single use parts there are. Fuel lines, injector seals, clips and even bolts that you can't re-use.
 
I would think you could just use an auto fuse, glass type or wire a spade terminal fuse to your main bus from transformer.
True that. I had it stuck in my head that there would be something like they have for DCC. Simpler is probably better. Since I need to make an A/B switch to switch my HO rail between DC and DCC, I may as well include a circuit breaker on the DC side. I think 1A should work as I've never seen anything near that in my normal use. Thanks!
 
Yeesh, whoever came up with the boneheaded idea that an AC unit should be mounted in the attic should be castrated to save the Gene Pool. We just spent 2 hours fighting with a clogged drain line, thankfully my Nephew and His Son came over to rescue us because at our ages we are not good going up and down the folding ladder to the attic anymore. At least it is working now and the line blown clean.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top