Running Bear's October 2026 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Nicki is finally able to walk without a walker, but still cannot drive until the surgeon gives her the ok. I had to take her in to get an implant post screwed into her jaw yesterday. That poor girl isn't getting any breaks.

I have 100% empathy & sympathy to anyone that has to act to as a caregiver, be it for a spouse or family member. Over the last 6 weeks I have really found out how much she does around the house. Doing my duties and her duties as well as taking her to all the Dr visits & PT is exhausting, but I just power through it.

Then there is my 93yo mom.....I received a text yesterday from ADT that there is an alarm event at her house. I know it's one of three things....a break-in, an exterior door that wasn't fully closed and blew open, or she didn't enter the correct code when she got home. I call her....no answer. I text her....no response. Now my BP is busting sky high. I finally get a call from her and I ask is everything ok? Of course everything is ok. She went to lunch with her friends, spoke with my brother (his b'day was 10/6), etc. I finally stopped her and said I had a text from ADT about an alarm event. She tells me it was nothing. She put the wrong code in and it took a minute or two to remember it.

As soon as Nicki is cleared we're running away to the coast for a few days.

With all that's been going on I decided to distract myself. I had a boxcar that wasn't in the era I model, so I decided to try weathering with nothing, but oils. It came out pretty good. Not TomO pretty good, but for my first full oil job I'm happy.

image000000.jpg
image000001.jpg
 
My Chart or My Care Corner
Yes, the Naval Hospitals are part of the Defense Health Agency and it uses Military Health System (MHS) Genesis as the online system. It posts lab results, messaging to the doc, prescriptions, etc. While it all sounds good in theory, in practice, it is lacking. It seems that not everybody is onboard with this system as not all doctors are in it for messaging. My PHM just changed since my old one retired. I bet I won't find my new one in the system for me to make contact with. I do have the group address, so I just spam them and the nurse will fwd the message to the doc. And like any database, cr@p in, cr@p out.
 
act to as a caregiver
I feel for you. My wife is doing that to an extent as I'm not allowed to do anything. Luckily, I don't do much that is really critical, so there's not much more added to her list, but the extras that I do to help her, she does herself now. The biggest thing is that I can't drive yet, so she has to ferry me to the base, like we're going to do today for my blood draw.

When her brother was in the hospital, I let her do her visits and I took on the burden around the house.
 


Does your hospital or medical network have a program like My Chart or My Care Corner where they can upload all labs, visits, CT interpretations, immunization records, etc., etc?

I love this feature with my health network. I usually see lab results withing a couple of hours for blood work and urinalysis, and about a day or less for CT interpretation from the doctor. CT imaging though can be transferred to DVD before you even leave from the visit.

I needed to look up some of the lab results and how some results are inter-related, but I usually had a pretty good idea of what was going on before the doctor or nurse did.
I live about 1 mile from Epic creators of the My Chart software. The lab results are always an interesting feature that yep the patient sees thenpm often before the Doctor or nurse. Epic is now #1 in USA medical software and #2 worldwide. 13,000 people on Campus here in Verona and though traffic is heavier at times it’s not that much more so. One of the hardest jobs to get in the US but super well paid but burn out there is “epic”.
 
Just received another lab report not five minutes ago.

While the doctor and nurse both knew I had a UTI from the Foley cat, the sample had to be analyzed by a lab in Lenexa, KS to find out exactly what the bacteria was.

A common strain called pseudomonas aeruginosa. Very common from having a Foley cat inserted too long. Antibiotics do seem to be working. Peeing is about back to normal without pain. The next six doses should knock it out completely.
 
I live about 1 mile from Epic creators of the My Chart software. The lab results are always an interesting feature that yep the patient sees thenpm often before the Doctor or nurse. Epic is now #1 in USA medical software and #2 worldwide. 13,000 people on Campus here in Verona and though traffic is heavier at times it’s not that much more so. One of the hardest jobs to get in the US but super well paid but burn out there is “epic”.

Prairie Cardiovascular uses the My Chart software, but the hospital I've been using have the My Care Corner software. Doesn't seem like they overlap much except for history and future appointments.
 
This is why we have a service contract on the HVAC system. My knees can’t take crawling across bare plywood, plus the temperature extremes up there! The system gets a check up twice a year, and whenever we call them, they come out quickly.
That's the type of system I will have in Jacksonville once the house is finished. Having a HVAC contract is a no brainer, in my opinion. I turned the heat on yesterday, and noticed the panel on the Heating unit wasn't properly attached. (The Home inspection guy managed to bend the cover. A little sheet metal rebending and reattaching just about killed my knees. (Concrete floor and of course using steps).
 
Prairie Cardiovascular uses the My Chart software, but the hospital I've been using have the My Care Corner software. Doesn't seem like they overlap much except for history and future appointments.
They are competitors:

Market Segments: MyChart (by Epic) dominates large health systems, major academic medical centers, and regional healthcare networks. MyCareCorner (by TruBridge/CPSI) is tailored for community hospitals, rural health systems, and critical access healthcare providers.


Patient Experience: For a patient, using either portal feels very similar—you log in to request prescription refills, view lab reports, schedule appointments, or message your healthcare team.


Interoperability: Which portal you use is determined entirely by your provider's Electronic Health Record (EHR) vendor. If you go to a large health system, you will typically use MyChart. If you visit a smaller community or rural clinic, you may be directed to MyCareCorner.


Most of our previous neighborhood works for Epic as does most of our daughter’s friends. They are a massive community presence here in town
 


Good Afternoon All. We completed the first leg of our journey safely, but wait! We don't seem to be in Baton Rouge as planned! Looking around, it looks like Texas City TX!
Along the way, about 5 hours and 400 miles away from home, we received an E-Mail from the condo informing us that they were closing down and no new check-ins until Monday. Full refund. So we ate lunch in Alexandria LA about an hour later and decided to turn west on IH-10 and head to a different destination. Wife and daughter (who had to cancel her airline tickets) are looking for a house or condo in Galveston instead. We.re overnighting here in Texas City until they get it together. Wife seems to think that we can get something with little notice???
Gotta go now and search out somewhere to eat.
 
I live about 1 mile from Epic creators of the My Chart software. The lab results are always an interesting feature that yep the patient sees thenpm often before the Doctor or nurse. Epic is now #1 in USA medical software and #2 worldwide. 13,000 people on Campus here in Verona and though traffic is heavier at times it’s not that much more so. One of the hardest jobs to get in the US but super well paid but burn out there is “epic”.

Judging from Google Maps that seems to be half amusement park and half business campus. Google mentions nothing about the eccentricities of the campus, but does have a good write up on the company itself. Who knew?
 


As for Jim Cantore... the condo company just don't want to have both Willie AND a Storm in the area. They figure one of them is enough. ;)

And with all the guests online here but not posting... sometimes I wonder if those 500+ or 700+ are our French Friend Christian and all of his virtual-rolling-email addresses trying to get back into the forum? :eek: ;)
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top