Running Bear's October 2025 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
A quick update on the place I work—at least for now.
Roughly 30% of the people working here have been let go. Starting Monday, the employees the new company plans to retain will begin to receive compensation and benefit offers. I guess we’ll see if a person a couple of years from retirement age is worth retaining. I hope so, as I really don’t want to try to find another job just to work there two years and retire. And many prospective employers will feel the same way.
Fingers crossed, and just as you moved,bummer.
If it goes poof, hopefully you can find a job closer, but I guess you already checked that out
If it goes tits up, look into weathering, we can give you sone 80/20 hints 80 percent looks for 20 percent effort, make some money on the side and sell, I love titillating cheap stuff,
As you have own equipment and home now , can you freelance or look at a sideline?
 
On a more positive note.
October….no not Oktoberfest you beer guzzlers :P
Halloween
And party food, some is gross…look at the ham hand!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7052.png
    IMG_7052.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_7044.png
    IMG_7044.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_7046.png
    IMG_7046.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_7047.png
    IMG_7047.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_7050.png
    IMG_7050.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_7049.png
    IMG_7049.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_7058.png
    IMG_7058.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_7057.png
    IMG_7057.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_7051.png
    IMG_7051.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_7048.png
    IMG_7048.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 110


58°F/44°F this morning at 0925. Not a late start today, but late getting in here with a couple of things I needed to attend.

Nothing going on today. Wonderfully cool outside, and yesterday was very nice too. NO MOSQUITOS yesterday in the back yard. I expect more of the same today.

The only downside is that it's so cool, the windows are all closed.

Have a great day everyone.
 
At least with Class One they are honest with the pricing, always high. They make a nice product, discounts are minimal and if you don’t pre-order, sell out quick.
I was (am still( hoping Scaletrains does the modern BNSF H4 units.

Don't know if they will now till a later date, they don't usually step on other manufactures toes unless they already have the project in
the pipeline and its too late to turn back.
 
Morning all,

Feeling a bit whipped, especially since I've been busy again since I hit the door this morning.
Doesn't help I got my Covid shot. I need it so I'm less likely to bring it home from working with the kids. Mostly a little sore at the injection site.

Tomorrow is the cyber security conference. I just keep telling myself 5 more years...Although I only need 2 more.
 
Good morning all!

A cool 41F only heading up to around 66F.

Should be a usual routine day for me. A few things to do this morning.

No volleyball tonight, kind of sad to season wind down, but on the other hand Im glad to be done with the Saturday tournaments
and 3 games a week.

Have a safe day everyone!
It’s amazing how fast it comes and goes. Good luck to your daughter.

This season of water polo ends this week for my daughter. They are playing several games today (1) and tomorrow (2) and maybe more and Saturday depending how these ones go. Even though water polo is not a sanctioned HS sport, the water polo clubs pretend it ia and run teams on HS lines during the Aug/sept/oct season. This is the first season my daughter’s school had a team in their name. Previous seasons they played on the HS team that is across from the req center (ie their club team became the HS team). This year they have two HS teams from the club team.

They constantly have seasons going, so when one ends, a week or two later another begins, being a club sport. However most of the kids skip the Oct/Nov/Dec season as HS swim season starts Nov 1 and the pre season stuff has started as school are allowed to practice starting Oct 1. So now we’ll have to deal with HS swim season. State championships for that are in February.
 
Do you have an air brake endorsement on your CDL?

That would open up a lot more possibilities with the right endorsements.

I kept my CDL after I quit being a diesel/school bus mechanic. Who knows when it will come in handy.
Mike: Florida Class B has AB endorsement included. Can haul 26001 lbs, no trailer. So a Dump Truck with a pup would need another endorsement or Class A. Montana is different, air brakes do not matter now, it is all about weight; tractor, trailer and pup; used to matter when we got ours 10 years ago.

Ifn I remember, when we got off the truck a couple of years ago, FMCSA was trying to get all States on the same page as to what license is what. Have no clue how far they have gotten. From what I have seen lately, figuring out what 'English Speaking' means is keeping them pretty busy. Leave it to the .gov...

I kept my CDL for a year, then decided that it was not needed anymore as I was not going back to the crap on the road that exists now days. Not even talking about the little 4 wheelers - all is Big Rigs. Think Maria is going to give hers up this year ( Birthday a couple days ago ).

L8r
 
A few days ago I posted a pic of the fooothills behind (to the west) of our development. With snow on them a few hundred feet higher in elevation.

It’s been sunny and warmer the last few days — into the mid to upper 70s during the day. And the snow is all gone.

Though the real mountains across the valley have snow in the upper reaches. My daughter and some friends drove the “Alpine Loop”, a scenic loop up into this mountains down in Utah County and she said it was snowing like real winter snow while they were up there.

Blue skies and warmer with a few white puffy clouds today as I get ready for my walk. Already 69F at 9:30. Monday and Tuesday around 10:20am or 10:10am it was 55F and 57F respectively. Supposed high of 83F today.

But starting tonight a chance of rain and storms the next two days though still 70s. Then cooler and sunny (50-60) next week.

IMG_9921.jpeg

IMG_9922.jpeg
 


Do you have an air brake endorsement on your CDL?

That would open up a lot more possibilities with the right endorsements.

I kept my CDL after I quit being a diesel/school bus mechanic. Who knows when it will come in handy.
My B has air brakes included. If it were not, there would be a restriction.
I’ve had it since 1992, before that it was called a chauffeur's license, and I had that since 1983.
 
Mike: Florida Class B has AB endorsement included. Can haul 26001 lbs, no trailer. So a Dump Truck with a pup would need another endorsement or Class A. Montana is different, air brakes do not matter now, it is all about weight; tractor, trailer and pup; used to matter when we got ours 10 years ago.
Why would every state be on the same page, right?

In Illinois- you can have a class B CDL but you are limited to any single vehicle with hydraulic brakes. You would then need an air brake endorsement if you want to drive a vehicle with air brakes, that would allow you to drive any single vehicle, but if its a bus you would then
need a pass endorsement as well. If its a school bus you would need a pass and a school bus endorsement. Luckily working where I did I had
all the endorsements and they picked up all the fees. I now have to cover them, but I may still get some use out of it someday. Its only $75.00
every 4 years, so why not.
 
It does, but it isn't raining!!!
I was thinking the same thing. I must be getting smarter in my old age.
I may be able to find a local job driving a straight truck.
You are a lock anywhere you go.

Even Amazon has straight trucks that run in the early hours shuttling packages between stations and they are always hiring. They load and unload with electric pallet jacks, easy money. They also have straight trucks for large deliveries; I would avoid that.

I thought two years was a long time to have one job. Other than being self-employed I only had one job that I stayed for more than two years. You may remember some of or all the many different jobs I have had. No matter where you work, you work for yourself.

I'm not a huge fan of country music, but I love the lyric "Take this job and shove it!"
The ball game was fun, the crowd was electric and the play was pretty good.
What a game!

I expected better from Milwaukee's young starter Quinn Priester. Maybe pitching so close to his hometown (Glendale Heights, IL) and the pressure of the situation contributed to him suffering with middleitis. The Cubs' veteran Jameson Talion was up to the challenge. Although I'm still wondering why Talion only pitched four innings.

If the Cubs win it all they will look to that game as the turning point. That was modern playoff baseball at its best!
Congratulations on completing the taxes.
Thank you, sir! I am still smiling! 😁

How were the sausage and peppers last night? I reminded Angela you were the one who enlightened me about bell peppers, she said to tell you, "Thank you!" She also said "I could have told you that" to which I relied "but you didn't"
it's so cool, the windows are all closed.
Same here in Baltimore and I'm loving it!
 
My blood pressure was great, so we worked this morning. Then we went to the grocery store, we were running low on soda. Running out is not an option! Coffee and soda, those are my basic needs.

Sodas were buy two get three free.

Jumbo Eggs were $2.99/dozen! I can't remember how long it has been since they were below $3. They were over $5 not that long ago. Too bad herds of cattle don't recover as fast as chickens.

We picked up sliced corned beef and sliced roast beef at the deli for $9.99/pound. I also picked up Lebanon bologna for $7.99/pound. Along with domestic ham $4.99/pound and capicola ham $5.00/pound. Not good but better than $16.99/pound! Of course I bought Land-O-Lakes American cheese, I didn't even notice the price, I must have that!

You may have noticed I love sandwiches and I put a lot of meat on each one! You should see the roast beef sandwich I made. I used the entire 1/3 pound of roast beef I bought; Dagwood has nothing on me. I couldn't eat it all, I'm not a cartoon character, but the rest will keep.

Find anything at the deli these days for under $10/pound and you have done well. Other than cheese and bologna, but not beef bologna, but I don't care for that. I was hoping German bologna would be on sale. The store we go to, Redner's the best German bologna!

Maier's reduced calorie (keto friendly) sliced italian bread was buy one get one free, never seen that before. One goes to the freezer.

Tom, Maier's is the best keto friendly bread I have tried yet. I don't know if it is a national brand and I don't mind frozen bread if it isn't in the freezer long.

We didn't need much else and we still spent just under $150. Eating isn't cheap, but what can we do, thank God we have enough.

I'm cooking again today. My little Angel needs to rest. I'm making meatballs with onions and garlic in mushroom gravy. I haven't decided on the vegetable yet. I'm thinking spinach, I love spinach!

I hope and pray Everybody is having an enjoyable day.
 
So it turned to 70F when I left for the walk but was only 66F when I got back. I had mentioned it was blue with a few white clouds. That was to the north and above the house. I hadn’t see the large gray clouds coming up from the south. So most of the walk didn’t have beating sun on me. That means the hood was off and even the sun glasses part of the time. And there was a reasonable breeze. All in all not a bad walk.

The clouds have started to move on it seems as I’m now getting sun through the south bathroom window. I got an alert that said it’s supposed to start raining in 15 min. Hopefully not. An hour ago the rain was only 10-30% chance starting at 7pm. I have to do one more coat of water proofing around the window in the window well today. I’ll cover the window well with a sheet of osb to keep any rain out but the thin coats dry fast. Just where it bunches up in grooves or where I use a brush and it goes on thicker does it take a while to dry. I’ll post pics later.
 
pressure of the situation contributed to him suffering with middleitis. The Cubs' veteran Jameson Talion was up to the challenge. Although I'm still wondering why
I was thinking the same thing. I must be getting smarter in my old age.

You are a lock anywhere you go.

Even Amazon has straight trucks that run in the early hours shuttling packages between stations and they are always hiring. They load and unload with electric pallet jacks, easy money. They also have straight trucks for large deliveries; I would avoid that.

I thought two years was a long time to have one job. Other than being self-employed I only had one job that I stayed for more than two years. You may remember some of or all the many different jobs I have had. No matter where you work, you work for yourself.

I'm not a huge fan of country music, but I love the lyric "Take this job and shove it!"

What a game!

I expected better from Milwaukee's young starter Quinn Priester. Maybe pitching so close to his hometown (Glendale Heights, IL) and the pressure of the situation contributed to him suffering with middleitis. The Cubs' veteran Jameson Talion was up to the challenge. Although I'm still wondering why Talion only pitched four innings.

If the Cubs win it all they will look to that game as the turning point. That was modern playoff baseball at its best!

Thank you, sir! I am still smiling! 😁

How were the sausage and peppers last night? I reminded Angela you were the one who enlightened me about bell peppers, she said to tell you, "Thank you!" She also said "I could have told you that" to which I relied "but you didn't"

Same here in Baltimore and I'm loving it!
The Cubs manager Craig Counsell is known a a manipulator of his pitching staffs. When he was the Brewer manager that was probably the biggest mark against him. IMO I think he listens too much to the analytic guys and does not manage by gut instinct. He was great for the understaffed Brewers and I think by his 5th season with the Cubs he’ll have a couple appearances and a World Series win. But this year it’s the Brewers.
 
Terry, praying here for you.

70 here and sunny, had early lunch with a friend, so that was a nice event. Had a bit of supposed food poisoning last night, that has cleared up [or out as the case may be]. Need to clean out the van, possibly, if I feel really enthused...
 


Well, howdy there internet drivers and those who woke up today.

It's Troy again.

Tomorrow and Saturday are the HMGS gaming convention over in Springfield OH. Don't worry, I never saw anyone eating pets there last year. It should be fine.

I'm on the board of the HMGS, so I feel I should be there for the convention. Going to run game C there, in two sessions. One Friday evening, and one Saturday morning. That gets me my credit of $50 to spend with the company on product I don't really need. I have to pay the $18 shipping charge from Greece, where the game company ships from, AND pay the UPS processing fee for the customs payment on my behalf via the company giving me the product.

If the Event List hadn't already been published, I would have dropped the events, and just played other games.

AND, when I thought it was safe again, game K just announced a new edition of their rules a few weeks ago... So I ordered the figures to start a new army for that game.

And, I've got a theme for them. It might involve these...

Printer.jpg


And a certain sailor, who visited New York City, looking for a good time. All because Ray said they weren't gods.

I need to print up a bunch of these guys to go on the army's various bases for some flavor....
Screenshot 2025-10-09 at 2.44.00 PM.png


I was trying to think of a theme for the army of demonic forces from the Abyss in the fantasy world... and wondered, what if the Demon's had the proton packs too, and wanted their revenge?

Add in the firestation from NYC I 3d printed earlier, some mini Stay-Puft guys, and maybe, just maybe, Gozer the Gozerian... and I'll have a theme!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top