Running Bear's October 2025 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening, the typhoon has passed, winds are dying down, and it is nice, cool and low humidity. Gotta luv it!

Oh yeah, gotta clean all the stuff that blew in tomorrow. It's all good!

And then we do it all over again on Saturday as typhoon 23 swings by.
 


Good Thursday morning! It's 45°F and clear. :cool:
1760002542636.png
1760002571975.png

1760002599744.png
1760002703770.png


Have a great day!;)
 


A quick update on the place I work—at least for now.
Roughly 30% of the people working here have been let go. Starting Monday, the employees the new company plans to retain will begin to receive compensation and benefit offers. I guess we’ll see if a person a couple of years from retirement age is worth retaining. I hope so, as I really don’t want to try to find another job just to work there two years and retire. And many prospective employers will feel the same way.
 
Good morning all!

A cool 41F only heading up to around 66F.

Should be a usual routine day for me. A few things to do this morning.

No volleyball tonight, kind of sad to season wind down, but on the other hand Im glad to be done with the Saturday tournaments
and 3 games a week.

Have a safe day everyone!
 
A quick update on the place I work—at least for now.
Roughly 30% of the people working here have been let go. Starting Monday, the employees the new company plans to retain will begin to receive compensation and benefit offers. I guess we’ll see if a person a couple of years from retirement age is worth retaining. I hope so, as I really don’t want to try to find another job just to work there two years and retire. And many prospective employers will feel the same way.
Terry: Don't you have a class A CDL? Pretty sure just about any trucking company will take you, even if only 2 years. Look around before you decide and get the best bang for your buck.

L8r
 
A quick update on the place I work—at least for now.
Roughly 30% of the people working here have been let go. Starting Monday, the employees the new company plans to retain will begin to receive compensation and benefit offers. I guess we’ll see if a person a couple of years from retirement age is worth retaining. I hope so, as I really don’t want to try to find another job just to work there two years and retire. And many prospective employers will feel the same way.

🤞 Fingers crossed they see quality in the older guys!
 


Good morning from South Eastern Wisconsin on the shores of some huge lake called Michigan. Still dark but we are at Terry’s friend’s house and the sun will rise out of the water at 6:57 or 32 minutes from when I started typing. 48f degrees in Racine, at home it’s only 34. We are leaving about 8am as someone forgot to change her 11:30am dental cleaning. We’ll be there in plenty of time.

The ball game was fun, the crowd was electric and the play was pretty good. I don’t think we sat the last 3 innings expect between the Cubs and Brewers switching between at bats. It was cold in the later innings but we were ready for it but gloves would have been nice. The normal 1 hour 40 minute drive on the way from Wrigley Field to Racine took 2hrs 35 minutes with most of it sitting in traffic for the 1st 5 miles leaving the area. IMO traffic could have been handled better but the ball park is in residential Chicago.

No clue what today will be like. I’m tired. The pounding waves last night even with the windows closed could be heard and not being used to it kept me awake. I heard something about the granddaughter’s adaptive soccer game at 5:30 this afternoon. It’s an away game in Sun Prairie about 20 minutes away. We don’t normally do the grand kids away games but this one sounds like we might be going.

The high for the day at home should be in the upper 60’s. Possible 70’s over the weekend but now they are saying rain

Enjoy the day
 
Good Morning All!

41F @ 71% and dark. Should be 71F later.

Think we have until Monday, then white to come down. Probably will get the windows in the Chick/Goat thingie. Problem is the door. We engineered for a 4' swing door and cut the opening accordingly. Welp, Maria got a hanging 'sliding' door and I was told that is what she wanted all along and is not budging. OK, so how am I gonna insulate that? Ya, the opening can be fixed. Problem is the door hangs on the outside of the wall which there is nothing at the bottom for a threshold or the like ( porch/deck not done ). So looking in to treating it like a garage door, but opens sideways. Don't think it will even be totally insulated but if I can come close, that would work. I mean, it is a Chick/Goat house which will have other holes for animal/bird ingress/egress with hanging plastic ( like freezer/truck dock interface ) to help with insulation. Have all the interior wall stuff laying on the floor, along with most of the insulation. Need insulation for the roof but waiting as we ran outa $$$ just now. Anyway, if I can get it pretty much sealed up, the inside stuff can be done sometime during the winter. I do have a 'jet' propane thingie just for this.

Ima getting excited about returning to MRR things. Actually started cleaning up the mess I made in the Train Cave for the power/water pathway to the Chick/Goat thingie. Not a big deal all-in-all, baby steps ... right? Pretty much trashed the current track plan as the helix entry/exit/bypass is just to convoluted. Trying to simplify that and think I have a plan. Outside benchwork/track pretty much the same, helix and middle transition stuff in flux. If you remember, the middle transition is more or less a 'no-lix' between the around the walls upper and lower level. Time will tell.

Oh, and all pellet stoves are doing their thing. Deep cleaned and shiny. I do need to get out to the Amish place to cherry pick some log ends for the cook stove. Trying for lunch out there tomorra for that. They use Red Fir, Larch/Tamarack for the homes they build and sell the ends and pieces for $20 pickup load. Most are already cut to 16"ish, so only need split.

L8r
 
This just showed up in my recommended feed on YT. The Class One Model works GP-40 look stellar and I could use a couple of the BNSF units but not for $400.00

Aurora Minatures has a diesel with rotating fans but are either on or off. It came out within the last few years.

At least with Class One they are honest with the pricing, always high. They make a nice product, discounts are minimal and if you don’t pre-order, sell out quick.
 
Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 68°, still expecting mid-80's for a couple more days until it warms up for the weekend.

Nothing yesterday that I did was notable, just an average day. Today is the weekly grocery trek, which my wife insists is the social event of my life! It is true that I don't get out much, but I never did when younger either! Extra stop again today at the hearing aid center to have an additional adjustment made to my ears. They're set TOO DAMN LOUD! Then there's the all too usual stop at the pharmacy

Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued the layout clean-up. I inspected all track up to the staging yard and found no dislodged parts laying about, then cleaned all of it with the Tidy Track wand cleaner from Woodland Scenics. I vacuumed part of it and I will finish that today. Next I'll start to move trains out of the staging yard so I can do it next. Meanwhile, I moved the brewery over to the workbench for a deep cleaning and some additional detailing. I have chosen to add coping to the walls, something that I didn't do initially, but changed my mind.
1760017636579.jpeg

1760017679115.jpeg

Just some minor dressing up!

Tom O - A few months ago, I first thought that was a rather large space that your friends paper mill was going to occupy. But I later realized that my Ethanol refinery is a tad over 20', so I can see how a paper mill could be 32'.
Glad that you got out of Chicago safely.
Kevin - "...watching arguments over the shutdown..." I hadn't noticed it!
Louis - Congratulations on completing the taxes.
Terry - Good Luck.

The late John Lennon was born on this day in 1940; his son Sean Lennon was born on this day 35 years later. Meanwhile, singer/composer Jackson Browne is 77 today.

Everyone have a terrific Thursday.
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top