I am working from home today. I am a bit of a ZOMBIE. I stayed up all night as my sister was going for her heart surgery. It was set at 7 am UK time and USA time was 2 am. 5 hour difference. Anyways she got there and started the process of admission then they had to turn her away due to overcrowding in the hospital! No rooms or beds available in ICU or post op rooms. Unbelivable what a sh!t show! So now they re-scheduled her for November 14 th. I guess that is what happens when you have socialized medicine and influx of immigration/migrants or whatever. The hospitals cannot support that influx there. Unreal. I am pissed off. She needs the surgery and her situation is life threatening. I want her to come back state side to do it. she is only 55. Ugh my frustration and stress level is high. Already lost my baby sister as some of you know on August 30th and I cannot handle losing my big sister too. Breathe....
Sorry to hear about your sisters delayed surgery, I know it's not what you or your sister wanted to hear, but let me clarify, our system is weird and definitely not wonderful at the moment at least, there is a backlog of people awaiting surgery in the 4 million mark,(or 18-24 month waiting list) mainly due to the pandemic, and what is termed Social Care, or lack thereof at the moment, this is for the more vulnerable patients who will require some form of daily care at home after being discharged from the hospital, BUT, therein lies the problem.
We don't have the care/social or home care nurses that we need to deal with the number who are fit enough to be discharged, and unless that care is in place hospitals cannot discharge them, even though they're well enough to go home, so they're stuck in a hospital most don't want to be in, occupying beds that are badly needed for other patients who need some form of surgery, basically the system is grid locked at the moment.
The reason your sister would have got so far into the system when she went, is because the hospital expected to have a bed available for her, and they would not have known there would be no bed until quite literally, the last minute, probably due to the reason's I said earlier.
If the surgery is postponed again, see if you can persuade your sister to fly back to the US, or even have the surgery done in the UK at a private hospital, if I can help in any way, don't hesitate, I'm 2 1/2 hrs from your sister if needed.