Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLVI

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Terry that joke went straight over my head and I never even looked up. The second time I looked at it I got it. ;) You are always so factual I was thinking it must be a real question.

Wan'na borrow my siggy for a while, Terry?
 
Nose deep in books.....a quiet Sunday here.

RVN10035_zpsfjb6yzhw.jpg


Train #15 behind E-13, east of Missoula...

RVN10049_zps17ocp1ef.jpg


Train #15 behind E-13, crossing Missoula River at Cyr...

rvn08179_zpsh6zxpqf0.jpg


Milwaukee Road #42 on test train at Haugan, first in the test train are two passenger cars for the test crew..

Photos by Ron V. Nixon
 
Last edited by a moderator:
More than once, I've wondered about Rock Island's choice of colours on their diesels....

14515877779_0f4f3d2de2_b_zpsuy91tcqg.jpg


I hope that you lot, are enjoying a pleasant, if busy, weekend!
The bankruptcy trustee authorized that color. It was supposed to be a bright and fresh change to show the future of the Rock.
The color scheme came to be known as "bankrupt blue and bled white". In retrospect, it would probably have made more sense to do some maintenance on either the equipment or physical plant than buy and apply thousands of gallons of paint, but it made the stuff look nice at the auction.
 


... Ken,,,,,,HEY! did you use the ballaster yet?? :confused:View attachment 47198
I tried it Karl, but I think it was designed for Code 100 track. When I moved it over my Code 83 rails it snagged the ties. Maybe a few pieces of strip styrene in the grooves will take care of that.

Mil - Terry makes a good point, but I think the Rock was pretty much doomed anyway. It was poorly situated, competing against the more robust ATSF and other lines that eventually merged with Union Pacific. And many of the areas it served started declining economically. Sort of like what has been happening with CSX in recent years.
 
Good Morning - Happy Sunday!

Sounds like a broken record, (remember those?), but it's 32°, and cloudy.

Conrail was a victim of it's success. The company suddenly discovered they were no longer in crisis mode, were making a ton of money, and it was time to cash out.
CSX and NS had deep pockets.........so...........In retrospect, had the PC followed it's initial operational plan, instead of maintaining status quo and diverting their capital to diversification, increased dividends and stock buy backs, it would have been Conrail, without the EL and RDG/CNJ........Shows just how much damage bad leadership can do......

Joe
 
Everybody, if you have not already done so, you can go the Jeff's obituary and leave a message to the family. There are links to flowers and cards. I did a card and it was reasonably priced I thought.

Joe .... Conrail improved after deregulation. Staggers Act of 1980 changed the entire railroad industry. Now, a handful of huge railroads haul most rail traffic.

When The Rock went out of business, the Grand Trunk Western bought some nearly new GP38's in the blue and white scheme which was retained on the GTW for a few years.



gtw58512010-03-14_zps3b2d05b2.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Garry writes:...."Joe ... Conrail improved after deregulation. Staggers Act of 1980 changed the entire railroad industry. Now, a handful of huge railroads haul most rail traffic. "

True, but......:rolleyes:.

By the time Conrail came along, the damage was done. The PC was the PRR, mishandled from the 50s onward, passenger losses were embellished to hide freight losses - mostly due to bad traffic decisions + NYC was modernized, making money, but not enough to please Wall Street = recipe for disaster. Adding the NH iced the cake. But had the PC followed the plan they submitted to the ICC to get approval, it would have never come to Conrail in the first place.

Ain't hindsight neat?

Joe
 
Hi Joe... Passenger trains in the 1950's were regulated by the ICC. Railroads were not allowed to increase fares enough to keep up for rising costs for wages, fuel, and other expenses during the entire decade of 1950-1959. Furthermore, competition from government funded highways and airports caused sharp loses in ridership. NExt the Post Office canceled mail contracts. There is no doubt passenger train were money losers largely because of government policies.

The Staggers Act of 1980 changed how the railroads priced its freight hauling. Railroads became contract carriers instead of common carriers. "Retail cargo" in boxcars changed to intermodal or all truck. Industrial side tracks were removed.

Under deregulation railroads quickly abandoned unprofitable lines and concentrated on high volume corridors. They merged into today's big companies.

"Amtrash" does not provide the good service provided by railroad companies in the early 1950's.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


When Conrail was split up, apparently NS got all the lucrative routes with manufacturing facilities located alongside. OTOH, CSX got the lines in New England [where hardly any durable goods are manufactured anymore] and Maryland, where NIMBYism runs rampant and newer, larger facilities can never gain approval. Maryland may well become the next state to have zero freight railroads running thru it, only commuter lines [like in San Francisco].
 
Garry:

Not to prolong this, I am well aware of how regulation affected the railroads and how the Staggers act affected pricing and service requirements. I spent 42 years in the trenches, during which time the railroad transitioned from the remains of the Standard railway of the World, to the NS/CSX Transaction, and from bad management to ......

I never said that passenger service didn't loose money, I just said that freight also lost money. Costs were apportioned by a Government Accounting Formula, and that frequently these apportioned charges were "adjusted" to reflect what management wanted to tell the board, shareholders and the general public. Staggers, and the passenger "spin-offs" did not correct bad management, such as what ran the PRR into the ground in the 50s and 60s. It just exposed it.
Note that after Penn Central had their inter city passenger burden taken over by Amtrak in 1971, they still "lost" money providing intercity passenger service....

Amtrak service reflects it's market, and not the image of several loquacious writers from the '60s. Today's NEC service is heads above anything the PRR / NH and even the B&O offered in the 50s or 60s and definitely is superior to the PC offerings of the 60's and early 70's. Off corridor, Long haul is about what it was in the mid 60s, basic transportation. No more, no less. Amtrak seems to be held to many expectations, that no one can deliver. I was too young to notice anything about early 50s rail travel. But I did extensively ride the NH. PRR, RDG, PRSL, B&O and C&O and SCL in the 60s, and FWIW except for maybe the SCL Florida Streamliners, Amtrak is no worse.

After WW2, when alternatives became available, the traveling public wasted no time in deserting the trains......why? Because of the lousy service and arrogant manner that the railroads used to treat their customers. Freight service was somewhat different, as economic and demographic change to the Industrial base, had to be factored in. generally though, the railroads managed to piss off and chase the high value customers, while catering to the low revenue, high whine level industries.

My opinion, based on my experience.

Joe
 
Afternoon All,

MOH and Daughter are out shopping for some reason. I finally got around to taking some pic's and after figuring out some upload issues I finally got them loaded into photobucket. The first pic is from before and the rest are what I just completed. I named the new section in honor of Jeff, I figure every time I run trains or work on the layout I will think of him.

IMG_1411_zps08d7afa8.jpg


IMG_1583_zpsfb7de2e9.jpg


IMG_1588_zpsd936c19b.jpg


IMG_1586_zps5ec32a36.jpg


IMG_1585_zps7d6aa413.jpg


IMG_1584_zps3cbddc30.jpg


I hope everyone has a good day.
 


Good afternoon everyone,
Hi Flo & Francine, how are you both doing? I'm glad you asked Francine, I've made a change to drinking Herbal Tea rather than Coffee, I drank too much of the stuff and was getting Caffeine addicted.

It's a cool day here in the foot hills of Central Calif., but nothing like many areas. Lets see what WW says? It's mostly cloudy but I did see a slight bit of blue sky obscured by lower wispy clouds. It's 57.2 °F - Feels Like 57.2 °F, Humidity is at 84%, Winds are mild at 2.7 mph from the SSE. The day time high is supposed to be 59 °F with a low of 40 °F.


Say Curt, Your layout is looking real good and I like the touch of Running Bear Pass.


Say Joe, Thanks for all the information about the various RR's, rather interesting facts you present. Stuff we would never normally hear.


It time for me to get out into my garage and work on my layout.


Talk with you all later.
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top