ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Checking in late today. I have been reading all of the posts on TapTalk and some very interesting conversations have come up today on different subjects. Excellent. We have a winter weather advisory up for today but at 3:30 in the afternoon we are at 38 degrees and cloudy.
Yesterday I did get a little work done on the layout.. A bit of work was done on the scrap yard. Ground cover was put down and a guard rail was put up along side the drop off to the parking lot by the roundhouse and a few more trees added along the mainline leaving the yard. A small shack and a scale will be put in at the entrance to the scrap tard and I will think about what kind of fence will possibly be put in around the yard. I did post some of the pictures on the Logan Valley thread.
This NP train would be my tourist train to Yellowstone Park.
Joe : "Bad management" is a nebulous phrase and does not say what poor choices were made. Passenger trains were money losers by the late 1960's but were money makers in 1950. Government policies caused most of the change. Cooked books did not cause that. Financial statements are audited. .... I recall the NYC was innovative with freight business and Flexivan was an example. ... I recall PC had some good marketing guys but things were tough before Staggers. ...
Been an interesting day to say the least! First, we finally got our chop-n-carry Christmas tree. SWMBO want the whole family [except my daughter who lives in Cali] to take part in the expedition, and she couldn't seem to get us all together. Then she learned the tree farm would be closing after today, so she had to settle for just me and two daughters. My 16yr-old said she wanted to do the cutting. We waited for ~10 minutes while she struggled trying to cut thru the trunk with a bow saw, then she handed it to me. [I said we should've brought the chain saw and SWMBO just gave me a dirty look.] So we finally got the tree home and decorated by ~3:00pm.
After that, I spent a few hours preparing a small passenger train to bring with me for club train duty at the Mall on Monday evening. I used decoderPro to fine-tune the sounds on the Genesis Geep, and to speed-match the P2K E8 with it. After I did all that, I noticed that the E unit's forward truck started making a hideous screeching sound. Some Labelle gear oil eventually took care of that problem, now I believe everything's finally ready. [Famous last words, I know]
Joe : "Bad management" is a nebulous phrase and does not say what poor choices were made. Passenger trains were money losers by the late 1960's but were money makers in 1950. Government policies caused most of the change. Cooked books did not cause that. Financial statements are audited. .... I recall the NYC was innovative with freight business and Flexivan was an example. ... I recall PC had some good marketing guys but things were tough before Staggers. ...
Brett, the guy who shot that vid (one of the clubs I go to) did say that 1 BB would have handled the load, but they put on 2 to make sure the train would get up the spiral just after the start. Considering that by the time the cabeese had started their climb, the locos would have already gone around the loop at the high point of the layout, and all the way to the lowest loop just behind the scene block at the spiral and would be on the upgrade from there, it's quite an amazing feat that it all stayed together.
Anyway, I thought it was better than seeing you expose yourself.
Have to agree, we've had enough exposing for one day! lol
True, I was waiting for.something to happen to the train, especially up that loop! Impressed that it all stayed on the track!
Talking about loops, what size would the Tehachapi loop have in HO, is it still as busy today?
Tehachapi Loop.
According to a Don Gibson on here http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/65426.aspx it scales out in HO to 14' diameter, so I guess you could fit it into a large bedroom, but you might not get the approach tracks in there as well. Certainly a modelling prospect for long train lovers. Don't think it's been bypassed or fallen into dis-use yet.