Running Bear's Coffee Shop LX

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. Minus 18 with clear skies to start off the day.

Willie - sorry I missed it. 548.gif The problem with people that don't know how to drive on ice or in snow is that you can't drive their vehicles. The best you can do is to try to keep your distance so you can get a better view of them going off the road.

Tom - Beautiful job of the weathering. Looks outstanding.

Louis - Great photos of the old PC equipment. Looks like they were scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Terry - Quite the coal drag.

Think I'm going to set something on fire and warm up. Later.
 
Good morning ....

Willie ..... Happy birthday !

Chet ..... -18 F ....... !!!

Tom ..... Great weathering of the SD40.

Curt ..... Nice looking old steam passenger train.

Louis .... Photos of the PC electrics (former NYC) are interesting.

It took a while, but I finally located a water heater to replace the one that failed. It is a 50 gallon, propane, power vent water heater. Both of our water heaters are that type. They are expensive and scarce. Late yesterday,, my friends and I took out the old one. This morning we will install the new one.

Cheers, everybody.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Hello guys, its pretty warm here in the Nm, Az areas. Railroad has finally slowed down from the hillidays. I just woke up about an hour ago, had to go eat breakfast at Alejandros. Best Mexican food around here in Belen Nm.
Willie- Happy belated birthday, sorry i missed it.

Tom- nice job on the weathering, looks great!

Terry- loved the video, thats one heck of a long black train!

Ken- still cant get over your layout! I was going to build a second story in my garage, it would be 20x60 but after seeing your layout i want to put up another building 40x50 or 50x50. THANKS PAL! LOL

Chet- glad you're feeling better!

Has anyone heard from Eric?

Eric- you have another building coming that i purchased from Greg Asher. He is taking care of the shipping. This should keep you busy for some time. Please post pics of the building from him so i can see what i bought. LOL Get well soon!!

Sorry if i missed anyone, you guys have a great day. I'm off to work!
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_2017-01-05-12-00-43.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-01-05-12-00-43.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 299
Last edited by a moderator:
Was wondering what happened to you Ron. Passed by Belen, MN last year on out way to a national bowling tournament in El Paso. Sure is a lot of nothin' there.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, only thing here is good Mexican food! This is my away from home terminal. Winslow is my home terminal, and not much there either! But its home! LOL
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I forget what town we stopped in on the way to El Paso, but we found a little mom and pop Mexican restaurant that had the best Mexican food I ever had. Mom, pop and the rest of the family were running the restaurant and the parking lot was packed. I can see why. We stopped in again on our way to Las Vegas. The place was packed again.
 
Ouch! Sun came up and the temp went DOWN! 12 degrees now. This is the part of the program where we EARN our summers!
 
Afternoon All,

Did some house cleaning this morning. The darn soldering iron tips finally made it in today, so I soldered the wires to the SPST switches, then mounted the switches on the fascia. I always put a little dab of caulk on the flat part that rests against the back side of the fascia to help prevent rotation when being operated. I did not hook them up with the signals yet. While I was doing this I ran a updated (from yesterday) branch line passenger train. I haven't run passenger trains in so long that it feels great. The station gives me a reason to run them now.

Speaking of signals, I was going through my leftover parts from the signal project and score! I have a completed, painted housing ready to add lights. I will start that after hookup with signals already mounted and building the Tichy flat car kit for MOW service.

Tomorrow I'm getting a haircut and will try to get started hooking up the switches. Saturday I plan to start back with the train club. I have been inactive since last summer.

Chet- I believe they are MDC cars. They really don't fit my modeling era, but I really like them behind the 4-4-0. In response to your statement last night, you definitely do not want to wipe out a herd of 1:87 cattle.:rolleyes: There was a hole in the wall Italian restaurant in Ewa Beach (HI) that only had 4 tables but their food made the angels sing!

Louis- I always call him between 1-5 PM and have never had a issue. I try calling every week and get together every 3-4 weeks. Do you have any pics of your new Pennsy equipment? In particular I am interested in the cabin cars. I normally could care less about the PCRR but that is a great photo.

Terry- Thanks for the video. My longest coal train is 11 H21's, 1 H22 and 3 GLc's. It doesn't sound like much but it seems large on my layout.

Karl- Happy Birthday to your son. He is now of legal age!

Tom- Welcome to the forum. That weathering is outstanding. I use AIM powders but like you the light color shades disappear when sprayed.

Ken- Congrats on the finish of your E8 project. I don't really understand where you put the nail at. I'm glad you're feeling better.

Sherrel- Awesome video, thanks for sharing.

Ron- Good to see you in the coffee shop again.

20170105_135729_zpsv68ucnds.jpg


I hope everybody has a good night.
 


Good evening. It's cloudy and 34. Supposed to be a big Winter Storm on the way. All the stores are sold out of bread, milk, and booze. The total accumulation is supposed to be less than 8", but in an area that usually gets that much per season, it's panic time.
Oh, and I'm supposed to be towing travel trailers back from an RV show Sunday night, after the snow, and a full day of 9 degree weather. I've strongly suggested to the sales manager that he explores alternatives to towing 18 trailers back home in what will end up the middle of the night, on what will almost certainly be icy roads. We'll see how it plays out, and if common sense prevails.
 
Good evening. It's cloudy and 34. Supposed to be a big Winter Storm on the way. All the stores are sold out of bread, milk, and booze. The total accumulation is supposed to be less than 8", but in an area that usually gets that much per season, it's panic time.
Oh, and I'm supposed to be towing travel trailers back from an RV show Sunday night, after the snow, and a full day of 9 degree weather. I've strongly suggested to the sales manager that he explores alternatives to towing 18 trailers back home in what will end up the middle of the night, on what will almost certainly be icy roads. We'll see how it plays out, and if common sense prevails.

It is one of those years when everyone gets more snow than us, and we live "up north"

I think it would be smart to go with the common sense. Even a couple inches can be tough trailer towing, especially if it doesn't get plowed off promptly.
 
Thanks Sherrel,
I appreciate to comments and kind words.

Ken in Maryland,
Thanks, I have a bunch of thin acrylic washes for air brushing too, I just like the chalk effects, I think I will waste some more $$ and try Doc O'Brien's powders
too LOL Dry brushing works good too.

Thanks Willie,
I grew up close to the Frisco (QA&P) Main line from Quanah TX to Floydada TX, I remember seeing Frisco power Covered wagons and all, I missed steam by about 10 years.

Thanks Johnny,
I appreciate you comments.

Thanks again Chet!,

Thank you GaryCB&Q,

Thanks 2869ral,

And thank you Curt I hope to try some Doc O'Briens powders. You have any experience with them?

Hope I didnt leave anyone out if I did please forgive
Not used to so much traffic on a thread LOL
Thanks Guys
Tom Holley
 
I came home early so I wouldn't have to try to commute in the forecasted snow. No snow this evening but there may be a dusting by morning. If there is snow on the road I'll just work from home for a few hours then go into the office.
 
Good evening Shop dwellers -

... Speaking of signals, I was going through my leftover parts from the signal project and score! I have a completed, painted housing ready to add lights. I will start that after hookup with signals already mounted and building the Tichy flat car kit for MOW service. ...
Curt, that's great that you were able to find that extra signal head! Hopefully this time you can apply some of the lessons learned from building the first batch.
Ken- Congrats on the finish of your E8 project. I don't really understand where you put the nail at. ...
It's easier for me to explain with a diagram:

A) Image 'A' shows what a cast delrin worm gear is supposed to look like, with two short 1.5mm-diameter pivot nubs sticking out on either side, measuring 5.4mm from end-to-end;

B) Image 'B' is how I found the gear, with one of the nubs totally sheared-off;

C) Image 'C' shows where I drilled a 1.5mm-diameter hole thru the center of the gear, then cut a 5.4mm long segment from an aluminum finishing nail [which also happened to be 1.5mm diameter] and inserted it thru the hole. This gave me a worm gear with two aluminum nubs to pivot on.

E8_GearRepairDiagram.gif


Terry - I see the weather guessers are predicting that your state will be getting hit with the most snow from this winter storm...watch out!:eek:
 
Good evening. It's cloudy and 34. Supposed to be a big Winter Storm on the way. All the stores are sold out of bread, milk, and booze. The total accumulation is supposed to be less than 8", but in an area that usually gets that much per season, it's panic time.
Oh, and I'm supposed to be towing travel trailers back from an RV show Sunday night, after the snow, and a full day of 9 degree weather. I've strongly suggested to the sales manager that he explores alternatives to towing 18 trailers back home in what will end up the middle of the night, on what will almost certainly be icy roads. We'll see how it plays out, and if common sense prevails.

Suggest to your sales manager that the sight of 18 trailers in various positions of distress and disarray on the late or morning news will not be good promotion.
 


Good Morning;

Still pitch black out here, -23°C / -9°F.

While watching the World Junior Hockey final last night I could only think that this is what sports should be about. A bunch of kids playing their guts out for their countries. I thought Canada was going to pull it off but it was not meant to be.

Congratulations to team USA on their comeback win.


I've started putting down concrete for my auto unloading facility. First layer of first section done - many more to go!

Yard.jpg


Have a great day everyone!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top