Running Bear's Coffee Shop LX

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, thanks guys, I'll be looking to get some items in Feb after I get the taxes out of the way and figure out this next track plan. See how much track I need first and if I'm going to use some of the stuff I have here. Two reversing units will be first on the block if I don't have a use for them. I'm not sure yet.
 
Bruce doesn't know it yet, but his Allegheny will be returning to him equipped with Kadee couplers...
 
It can be a slow process, but equipping your locomotives and rolling stock with Kadee couplers will make a difference especially when you are pulling long trains and adding metal wheels will be icing on the cake.
 


Back when plastic knuckle couplers first made an appearance, I think it was Model Railroader that did a strength comparison between the brands. Kadee couplers strength exceeded the capacity of the testing equipment, with the others coming in at much lower strengths, down to the early EZ Mate couplers failing if you gave them a hard look.
 
That "split apart" coupler of NG's looks like an Atlas Accumate. They're made in 2 pieces that fit one on top of the other, each with one side of the jaw, a pivot hole and centering spring. They have that habit of locking in the fully open position when subjected to a heavier than normal compression load. Otherwise they only open as much as any other knuckle coupler.
 
Good evening gents.

Well, Professor Ken was right - the office was indeed quiet today. But I still had to go home after 3 hours, since apparently I need to lie down frequently and I don't have access to any couches in that environment. Fever is gone, but it's taking longer than I expected for this ol' bod to rebuild itself! I dropped by the LHS on the way home and got some brass rod to repair my broken E8 gear, but I wound up napping all afternoon so I haven't made any more progress on that project yet...

Johnny, I guess you only have one work area for assembling your different structures? If I find myself doing that, I clear out separate areas under the layout for each kit and work on them far enough away from each other to eliminate the risk of mismatching parts.

Curt - that pole-mounted horn is certainly an interesting detail! Was the Pennsy the only rr that ever used those? Sorry to hear about the signal malfunction, hopefully you'll be able track down and fix the problem once you've had more rest...

Bruce - I see that Garry, Chet and Karl have given you some some good tips on dealing with the coupler problem, should be doable without breaking the bank.

Guess I'll try to get enough sleep tonight and hopefully be able to return to work tomorrow; otherwise, back to the doc's...
 
New couplers AND it runs? BONUS! I'ma chompin at the bit and the check is in the mail! LOL!

Well spotted Toot, it is exactly as you describe, I had an "EEK" moment the first time it happened but ya pinch em back and they work just fine.

I'm slowly but surely going to metal wheels and my next small goal is a truck tuner tool for the ones that are still plastic, no point in messing with the couplers if it won't roll. No emergency rush, it's part of the bit-by-bit I knew was coming after the initial outlay. I'm SUCH a newb and KNEW/KNOW it! I knew/know there were maintenance and replacement bits/tips/tricks I did not know about that I would need to know/obtain in the long term but my only option was to wait for the problem and then learn the fix. Buying most of it new I was counting on most of it running until I knew what was going to be needed and it is working out that way.
 
Here's another NZR steam vid to keep you blokes entertained. Once again in the south island. The Weka Pass Railway. Beautifully restored equipment, just a tad over 8 miles of track, but has 'far as I can glean, the only one left of the original "Pacific" 4-6-2's in existence. The type came into being in NZ when greater horsepower than a 4-6-0 could deliver, but a heavier, bigger locomotive couldn't be used because of track limitations of the time, so the answer was to stretch the firebox and support it with an extra trailing truck. Class A#428 was built in 1909. Some great shots of running the loco around at the destination, turning on the turntable, recoupling for the return journey and at the return, servicing it before storing it away. Oh, and Chet, you might like to get a model of one of these, seems to do a better job of grades than your Bachmann.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LosUom6NxrE
 
Good late evening Rail Layers & Spike Driver's,
Hi Flo & Francine, Happy New Year to you both! How about some coffee and a nice piece of Mince meat Pie with some added Cinnamon. Thanks.

It started out as a fairly nice day but around 4:30 Pm it started to rain and I had light rain all evening along with some wind. Let me check WW to see what they say? Their site doesn't want to load-up?
Earlier at about 4:30 Pm it was about 38* outside and a bit windy coming from East.


Good afternoon.

Sherrel. .. thanks for the very kind remark you made to Chet and me. I'll let Chet have it go to his head.

Bruce.. I suggest replacing cheapie plastic couplers with Kadee metal ones.

speaking of couplers. In addition to using Kadee couplers, it is good to have the Kadee couplers height gauge and the Kadee trip pin pliers to make adjustments as needed.

Curt.. looks like part of a signal. Say hi to Phil. We may be in Orlando in April.


Garry: That's good advise your giving Bruce. the trip pin pliers are a big help.



Chet - put another log on the fire!!! Or maybe a whole tree :)
Johnny


Johnny: That's for sure, I'm nowhere that cold and still have to keep adding wood to the fire to keep the place warm!



Rain and high 30's this evening.

I will look into metal couplers as soon as metal wheels are more prevalent in the fleet. Property Taxes are coming up fast so it may be a while.


Bruce: The Kadee couplers are a really good choice. The ones Karl mentioned with the wiskers, which are a tough plastic that extend from the base of the shank, are the simplest to work with.


Glad that I was able to help you out there, CURT! I talked to Phil this morning. I want to make a conscious effort to try and communicate with him on a more regular basis, and I hope that more of the members will try to do the same. I'm not all that far behind him in age - and I know too that sometimes one (I know that I did) just gets to feeling that they have become useless to everything around them. I just wish that Phil had a computer that he could enjoy the forum with. I don't know if it's his computer, or that he is trying to do something that the computer won't let him. I would gethim a computer to use, but I am just a little far away to hook it up for his provider.



Sherrel: I think that's a good idea that we should contact Phil.



Mid day here and it has cooled down today from the high 90's we've been having since before Christmas. Overcast and light rain showers. Currently 82f, but 85% humidity, actually higher than when it was hot. Instead of hot and clammy, cooler and more clammy. Daren't rest my arms on a table or desk, will never get unstuck.


Toot: That's what you call a, 'Sticky Wicket'! I can remember one day when I was in Massachusetts not too far from the coast and it was 85* and 100% humitity. I was actually walking through a mist.


Garry/Willie/Johnny/Joe/Sherrell/Curt - thanks for the well-wishes! I'm doing much better today, fever's gone down. Haven't quite decided yet whether or not I'll go back to work tomorrow though.

Curt, that was a 36-hour GI infection. I got a 3-day reprieve from Christmas Day thru Dec 28, then this more virulent bug got me. Hopefully there won't be any more ugly surprises like this!:eek:


Say Ken: If your taking any kind of Anti-Biotic it's very important for you to also take a good grade of Acidophilus spaced as far inbetween the time you take your Anti-Biotic so you don't tend to kill off it total effect.



I can only speak for myself, but I like to leave room for scenery between the track and the wall. Other than the staging yard or industry sidings against low-relief structures, I think that the closest any of my track comes to any wall is 3"-4". My preference is to run "through the layout". Some scenery such as trees and bushes helps the transformation between track and backdrop. But, there is no right or wrong way to approach it.

Willie


Say Willie: Leaving space around the edges was one of the objectives I had when I was planning my layout too. That, along with not having things to crowded if at all possible?


Willie, Chet, Others - - Yeah, that makes sense. I think Chet mentioned in another post some time ago that he likes to see trains run through the layout and not in front of it or behind it (unless you can't help it). So I think I'll leave a few inches between the roadbed and the wall to put a low rise, ground cover, trees, something like that, and then have the instant horizon stuff on the wall.
Thanks.
Johnny


Johnny: Leaving at least 3" if possible is best and between 3" to 6" is even, but even with only 3" a lot can be done. I think that all the pace Garry had in one of his scenes and did quite a lot with it!



It can be a slow process, but equipping your locomotives and rolling stock with Kadee couplers will make a difference especially when you are pulling long trains and adding metal wheels will be icing on the cake.


Chet: That's very good advice to Bruce.


Ssssssssshhhhhhhh. It was supposed to be a surprise! !!


Say Karl: Terry did kind of let the cat out of the bag didn't he?



Good evening gents.

Well, Professor Ken was right - the office was indeed quiet today. But I still had to go home after 3 hours, since apparently I need to lie down frequently and I don't have access to any couches in that environment. Fever is gone, but it's taking longer than I expected for this ol' bod to rebuild itself! I dropped by the LHS on the way home and got some brass rod to repair my broken E8 gear, but I wound up napping all afternoon so I haven't made any more progress on that project yet...


Say Ken: Some of these bugs can be fairly nasty for sure. Glad your feeling better. Be cautious though as some of these darn cold strains can mutate and reappear, I hope that doesn't happen to you!

Take care and I hope everyone has a good day today!
 


Good morning Everybody!

Ken get yourself some Gatorade it can do wonders to speed recovery and they make a low calorie version for me :)

I have not been around much lately. Since my flight and rough landing I have not slept much, 45 minutes at a time or so. I did manage to bill 42 hours in the days leading up to Christmas. Fortunately my deal is flat rate and even one armed it don't take all day to do a days work. It's not superhuman effort, just keep moving.

I'm too stubborn to let injuries slow me down. The internal problems have been in check so I kept rolling.

God put an end to that! My gout flared up big time and now I am recovering from a virus. Since Christmas I only billed 4 hours New Years Eve because they were desperate, I could not let them down.

The good news is I have slept for the best part of the last 2 days! My gout is getting better, I can almost walk normal again!

I'm sorry I missed most everything these last few weeks.



I did mamange to find some deals!

Train World $99 total, shipping was $9.99 the sale price was $89.99

Pack Includes:
  • Combination car
  • Coach
  • Observation car
  • Four straight FasTrack track sections
  • Classic billboard set
  • Station platform
  • Six milk cans
    630111-1.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. It's foggy and 48.
"Foggy" is something of an understatement. I can't see my garage 100' away...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning All. 26° and mostly cloudy today. Forecast to be into the low 40's later today. Won't be back into the 60's until Monday.
Well, I made it. Today is my big 65th birthday. Amazing that I made it this far considering some of the antics from my youth! Still have some domestic projects to start/complete in the house this week...cuts into train time!!!
Trainwise, I just fiddled around with various things yesterday. Finished the first low-relief structure of the three that I started, but left the camera in the train shed so I'll post a picture later. Dismantled another loco that has been in storage since 2009, so I can start cleaning and lubing it today. Stared at a pile of Accurail kits trying to decide which one I want to do next...20+ kits of three different freight cars, all of which need re-numbering with their re-numbering sets. Contemplated painting some more backdrop, but deferred until another day. And of course ran some trains.

Chet - I didn't ask you to send this cold front, but you did anyway...not going to get as cold as three weeks ago when 10° was the low for a couple of days.
Bruce - That's a drag about the high water table in your area. I remember you posting about it back in late 2015. We don't even have those kinds of discussions around here as ours is easily 60' down.
my next small goal is a truck tuner tool for the ones that are still plastic
Regarding the truck tuner. Use it on all plastic trucks, metal wheels as well as plastic ones will benefit.
David -
The Kadee couplers are a really good choice. The ones Karl mentioned with the wiskers, which are a tough plastic that extend from the base of the shank, are the simplest to work with.
Are you sure that they are plastic? They sure look like metal to me. I'll have to go out to the train shed to check later.
Louis - Not the best way to start the new year. Get well soon.
Everybody have a great day.

Willie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
36 degrees and wet, snow is almost all gone. I don't usually mind living in a swamp but sometimes it gets tiresome. Lansing has been the worst for me flood wise, I can't find a house with a dry basement anywhere in this town, I know they must exist but I have not seen em.


GOUT? What the... Thought that only hit rich guys that lived in the 1800's! Seriously I heard that can get bad, take it easy!

I ordered the Kadee sample pak of couplers back when I started and it's awesome. It has a pair of all the variations High, mid, low, mount, and short, medium, long, shank, now I'll know what number to order.
 
Good morning, all. 13 degrees and clear here in Springfield. Supposed to get down to 7 tomorrow night, lows in the teens through the weekend. Still, Chet's got us beat, not that I'm wanting to enter a competition with him :) Need more coffee right now!! Haven't even fired up our woodburning fireplace yet, but probably will Friday night.

Ken in Maryland - I've been working on structures on a very tiny workbench, hence my comments about mixing parts. But I'm making a larger work area at least temporarily by spanning two sawhorses with apiece of plywood. So I'll be able to keep the various kits and structures separate. In fact, last night I did some gluing on each of three structures, and ended up turning the wrong one over to put some weight on it. Will build a more permanent workbench later on.

Trussrod, Chet, Willie. others - I'm planning on a 4" space between track and wall for most of the layout, and in a few places it will be more like 6-8".

Bruette - Sorry to hear about the gout. I tend to have flareups about twice a year. I have meds for it, but I hate taking prescription meds if I can help it. My wife and I are into naturopathic approaches to health. My personal opinion is that some of the naturopathic stuff works for some people but not all. In my case, I've found that eating cherries (fresh, in a jar, dried, almost any form) helps. Some years ago I realized that when I get a flareup, if I chow down on cherries, maybe 30-40 of 'em, within 1-3 hours the flareup is gone. So for the past few years I eat some cherries every day, usually the dried unsweetened kind, and keep a jar of cherries handy just in case. Last year (2016) I had only one flareup rather than the usual two, and a quick dose of 40 cherries took care of it. Again, some things work for some people, some not.

Talk more later.
Johnny
 
Good morning from the frozen north. It did get down to a minus 14 last night before warming (?) up to a minus 3 when I got up this morning. Clouds moved in over night helping with the temps not going lower.

Greg - Enjoyed the video of Howard's layout. I had seen that video before a few times, but it is always worth seeing again.

Karl - I am a bit jealous that you have been able to visit that layout.

Bruce - You will have a lot better reliability using Kadee couplers. Shortly after the plastic Kadee knock off couplers, such as the McHenry, EZ Mate and others started coming out, my model railroad friends unofficially banned them from their layouts as well as the model railroad club they belong to. They pull long trains during operating sessions and it didn't take long to discover that the Metal Kadee couplers was the only way to go. They had numerous incidents of long trains coming apart due to the plastic couplers. I do remember seeing the article that Terry mentioned. Most of the trains I run are short, but I also had coupling and uncoupling issues with the plastic couplers and I will usually change then out to Kadees before I put them on the rails. I do have a couple of small switchers that do have plastic couplers and that's mainly because I haven't taken the time to find a Kadee that would work for them, but they only have the capability to pull a couple of cars any way.

Toot - Enjoyed your steam video. You Kiwis sure like steam. Keep them coming.

Louis - Sorry to hear about the gout flaring up. I have a good friend who has is and at times it can be quite a problem for him. Hope you get over it soon.

Time to get something done, Later
 
It comes back to Kadee every time, they seem to have hit it with the design and material combination they use. I'm running strings of 15-20 usually, 30 max, right now but when all is metal, consists are on the road and couplers are similar enough I'd like to run "50's" and my fantasy goal of a "100 car train" may have to wait until I have that many SMALL ore hoppers. 100 cars take up a lot of track!
 
Bruce - I don't know if you ever say this video, but I am really amazed that three locomotives could pull this string of cars up a 2+% grade. trying to move them by hand on that grade sure gives you the feel of the weight of all of the cars. It is easy to see why plastic couplers would fail.

[video=youtube;wFIIWvaTiIk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFIIWvaTiIk[/video]

Kadee has been around for decades and the plastic couplers have not. Kadee also has couplers that can easily be installed in just about any locomotive. All you have to do is a bit of searching. Maybe I should get off my butt and find some for my small switchers. Kadee has pretty well been the standard for serious model railroaders for well over 40 years.
 
Afternoon All,

Ran trains for about 90 minutes today while I prepped the SPST's by stripping the wire ends and attaching them to the switches. Now waiting on the soldering iron tips which I believe will be in tomorrow. I also weathered the top of the Tichy flat car. Since I am not painting the car body (grey in color) because it is close enough to the Pennsy MOW grey color. I figured that I should do that first before assembly. I also trouble shot the signal and ruled out everything except a issue in the head itself. If I take the head apart it will destroy the signal, so that is a project in the future.

I talked with Phil today for about 30 minutes. He sounds like he is doing well and was upbeat.

Garry- If you do, I know Phil and I would like to meet with you.

Greg- Thanks for sharing the video.

NG- You will be surprised how well your cars work out with KD's and metal wheels.

Ken- I really don't know if any other RR's used them. They were used on the Pennsy "Slide" which is about a 4% grade.

Toot- Another great video.

Johnny- That's interesting about the cherries. I wonder what chemical or Enzyme is in them that helps.

Louis- That does look like a good deal.

Willie- Happy Birthday. I hope you have a great day.

Chet- Nice video. I believe you have several of the Atlas/Kato RS's. If they are anything like mine they could probably do it by itself, but the 3 locos looks impressive and give the impression of great weight.

20170104_131604_zpsstgtuah9.jpg


I hope everybody has a good night.
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top