Good Morning All. 26° and mostly cloudy today. Forecast to be into the low 40's later today. Won't be back into the 60's until Monday.
Well, I made it. Today is my big 65th birthday. Amazing that I made it this far considering some of the antics from my youth! Still have some domestic projects to start/complete in the house this week...cuts into train time!!!
Trainwise, I just fiddled around with various things yesterday. Finished the first low-relief structure of the three that I started, but left the camera in the train shed so I'll post a picture later. Dismantled another loco that has been in storage since 2009, so I can start cleaning and lubing it today. Stared at a pile of Accurail kits trying to decide which one I want to do next...20+ kits of three different freight cars, all of which need re-numbering with their re-numbering sets. Contemplated painting some more backdrop, but deferred until another day. And of course ran some trains.
Louis - Not the best way to start the new year. Get well soon.
Everybody have a great day.
Willie
Happy Birthday Willie!
your train work sounds like so much fun! When I do really retire I will have stolen so many of your ideas. Not the least of which is the separate train building, I really hope I can make that work.
As for my not so great start, yeah, could have been better, but it could have been much worse. If I had been under the grass my start would look like a great one!
GOUT? What the... Thought that only hit rich guys that lived in the 1800's! Seriously I heard that can get bad, take it easy!
I think gout maybe genetic too, but God knows I have eaten more than my fair share of meat, nuts, beer and shellfish.
My pharmacist told me "gout is the disease of kings" I said I could not be further from a king. He said "only a king can eat that much meat"
Good morning, all. 13 degrees and clear here in Springfield. Supposed to get down to 7 tomorrow night, lows in the teens through the weekend. Still, Chet's got us beat, not that I'm wanting to enter a competition with him

Need more coffee right now!! Haven't even fired up our woodburning fireplace yet, but probably will Friday night.
Bruette - Sorry to hear about the gout. I tend to have flareups about twice a year. I have meds for it, but I hate taking prescription meds if I can help it. My wife and I are into naturopathic approaches to health. My personal opinion is that some of the naturopathic stuff works for some people but not all. In my case, I've found that eating cherries (fresh, in a jar, dried, almost any form) helps. Some years ago I realized that when I get a flareup, if I chow down on cherries, maybe 30-40 of 'em, within 1-3 hours the flareup is gone. So for the past few years I eat some cherries every day, usually the dried unsweetened kind, and keep a jar of cherries handy just in case. Last year (2016) I had only one flareup rather than the usual two, and a quick dose of 40 cherries took care of it. Again, some things work for some people, some not.
Johnny I have heard that about Cherries, I have not tried it yet. Fruit makes me a bit nervous, one; I don't like most fruit, no joke and two; I am diabetic and it is hard to tell how much sugar is in any fruit and fructose is one of the worst sugars for a diabetic.
I use to take medication to prevent and dispel flare ups, but kidney disease put an end to that option. Now I just don't eat anything to make it worse when it comes. This flare up has improved drastically in the last 2 days. I even managed to work 1 1/2 hours and get paid for 4 today.
I have not had a bad flare up like this one in several years. I think because I drank 2 ales had new York strip cooked on the weber and a crab cake, in one day. I earned the flare up.
Feel free to call me Louis, we are all friends here. My buddy Bruce and the rest of us will back me up on that.
Louis - Sorry to hear about the gout flaring up. I have a good friend who has is and at times it can be quite a problem for him. Hope you get over it soon.
Chet I am already doing better, thank you!
Louis- That does look like a good deal.
I hope everybody has a good night.
Curt I want to call Phil, but I am unsure of a good time for him. If you talk to him ask him when is best to call for me please, thank you.
Those Pullman cars are a great deal I think, they list for $159.99 in the Lionel catalog.
I got my Pennsylvania Flyer LionChief Remote Set today
and my Pennsylvania LionChief Remote Keystone Deluxe GP38 Freight Set will be here tomorrow.