Running Bear's Coffee Shop LX

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning from the ICE BOX. Minus 5 to start off the day. Colder weather is expected for the rest of the week with lows in the minus teens or even colder.

Sort have been MIA for the last few days, but I have been watching on the phone. Friday night was a comedy driving to town. We got about six or so inches of new snow and we passed over a dozen cars in the ditch and at least a half dozen accidents. The newbies just can't figure it out. Maybe they'll get a handle on it by spring.

Saturday we went to town to get the makin's for out New Years Eve get together. When we got back I had to plow the driveway again so our guest would have a place to park and then spent the rest of the day in the kitchen with the wife getting things ready We had 16 people show up despite the weather and had a nice quite evening.

Sunday I had planned on doing some work on the layout but one of our doxies decided that there would be no sleeping in because she was hungry. No time in the train room as I spent the majority of the day in the recliner napping. Taking the day off today and I hope to get a few things done for the layout.

Professor Ken in VA. Saw you post for Dave about handling he estate. you pretty well echoed what I was going to post (but not on a phone). You pretty well covered everything. Well done. Hope your grandson enjoys the trains.

Garry - Hope you post some photos of the Empire Builder.

Willie - 100 miles is also "local" for us. There is a hobby shop in Billings about 150 miles from us but every time I do stop by, they never have what I really need. We do usually stop by Caboose Hobbies when we are passing through the area. Glad that they will be back in business. I usually keep a list in my wallet of what I need for the layout when we take a road trip just in case we find a decent hobby shop in our travels.

Toot - Enjoyed your videos, especially the ferry crossing. After spending six years in the Navy on destroyers, I would consider that light seas.

Johnny - I built my layout in sections also. My bench work is 1x4's with the longest section being 8 feet long. A little at a time.

Eric - Hope you get feeling better soon. Sure is a drag.

Sherrel - Nice photo of the grand kids. We're lucky that out kids live locally and get to spend a lot of time with them.

Catch you later, headed to the train room
 
New Guy - Nice photos. Nice to see how your layout works. Do you run your track pretty much right up against that back wall? I'm debating whether to leave a few inches between the track and wall to put in a low hill, some trees, etc., and then the instant horizon scenery attached to the wall.
Johnny

Thanks, it's a "train-centric" layout and to maximize road length I went to one inch from the wall, this may change as I would also like to see items in front of whatever ends up being backdrop, painting or poster. I've moved it back just a smidge from the outside edge for the same reason. Trees will be sprouting up and buildings too in the very near future. I have some running tests I want to do and then it's getting half torn up for another track plan.
 
My grandson enjoyed the trains. A bit overwhelmed though. As we got one train running his attention went to another train he wanted to see running, so I had to put the first train back in a siding before bringing another one out. He followed that part way around the layout then he wanted to see another train run. The full duplex throttle got a work out today. Of all the kids that have been over here to see the empire, his attention on the trains went the entire 2 hours he was here, while other kids would gravitate to playing bumper chairs with my rolling chairs within 10 minutes.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


KEN -- That's great that you took the time to entertain him in that way. Maybe, despite his troubles, you may have just found the ticket to make a breakthrough. My hat's off to you!

I have two G-sons in Manassas. The older one who is almost 8 has some ADHD along with Asperger's and Autism. He is going to have a rough time.
His mother (my daughter) did not want to believe what the rest of us could see. He is almost two years behind on getting the treatment which he should have had to help him along.
 
CHET - Just to let you know .. it's just a little cool and damp around here this morning at 47 degrees. Just to help remember how it is where you are ... I am placing another log on the fire here while the misses and I are watching the Rose Parade!
 
Is that the Hobby Lobby on US 60?


Terry.... No, it is Classic Trains & Ferraris..... Bill, the owner, has a Facebook page with that name, and he owns a Ferrari

--------

Chet ... I could post more photos of the EB in addition to the ones I did a couple of days ago. Heck; I suppose I could do the NP NCL too. .... Next time I get a chance, I will.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Afternoon All,

It's good to see everybody back in the coffee shop. I'm multi-tasking. The FL/IA game is on, I'm typing this and wait for it... I'm drinking coffee. ;). Did some chores earlier. I am still impatiently waiting on the soldering iron tips. I ordered them late on the 26th and they're still not shipped. I rechecked the seller and he did not have anything about be out of town. I'll give it till mid day tomorrow then I will report it.

Karl- Congrats to your wife.

Toot- Beautiful country and great videos. I bet there was some sick people on the ferry.

Louis- Nice photo.

Sherrel- Nice looking family. My youngest grandson (adopted) has physical and mental issues from Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.:mad:

Ken- I hope you feel better soon. You were sick before Christmas weren't you?

NG- Looks like you are doing great on your layout.

VA Ken- That's great about your grandson.

Chet- As a submariner we were usually below all that, but the time I will always remember is when we had to do a emergency personnel transfer in the Halifax NS harbor. We were on the surface for about 12 hours through a North Atlantic gale (remember round hull). It was truly wretched. We knew how bad it was going to be when we were several hundred feet deep and taking major rolls. The funny part of the story is that the captain was on the bridge to bridge RT with a Russian freighter we were passing and they asked "how long have you been out?". Our captain responded " It seems like forever!". I've wondered if that message was sent back to their homeland.

I hope everyone has a good night.
 
New Guy - Nice photos. Nice to see how your layout works. Do you run your track pretty much right up against that back wall? I'm debating whether to leave a few inches between the track and wall to put in a low hill, some trees, etc., and then the instant horizon scenery attached to the wall.
Johnny
I can only speak for myself, but I like to leave room for scenery between the track and the wall. Other than the staging yard or industry sidings against low-relief structures, I think that the closest any of my track comes to any wall is 3"-4". My preference is to run "through the layout". Some scenery such as trees and bushes helps the transformation between track and backdrop. But, there is no right or wrong way to approach it.

Willie
 
Willie, Chet, Others - - Yeah, that makes sense. I think Chet mentioned in another post some time ago that he likes to see trains run through the layout and not in front of it or behind it (unless you can't help it). So I think I'll leave a few inches between the roadbed and the wall to put a low rise, ground cover, trees, something like that, and then have the instant horizon stuff on the wall.
Thanks.
Johnny
 


I did finally get some layout projects worked on and finally put together a Milwaukee Road box car that Greg sent months ago.

Johnny - just a few inches from the rear of the layout can leave you with plenty of room for scenery.

IMAG0862.jpg

CURT - Glad that you got a taste of what we had to put up with on the surface. I can remember NATO ops off the northern coast of Norway in seas that were exceeding 35 feet. They knocked off all ships work and we only left out berth to go eat or take a shower. We were among the larger ships and did see one British destroyer have its bow almost at a 45 degree angle and you could see daylight under the keel at the front of the bridge.

Guess I'll get out of here and get dinner started.

Later.
 
Mid day here and it has cooled down today from the high 90's we've been having since before Christmas. Overcast and light rain showers. Currently 82f, but 85% humidity, actually higher than when it was hot. Instead of hot and clammy, cooler and more clammy. Daren't rest my arms on a table or desk, will never get unstuck.
 
Garry/Willie/Johnny/Joe/Sherrell/Curt - thanks for the well-wishes! I'm doing much better today, fever's gone down. Haven't quite decided yet whether or not I'll go back to work tomorrow though.

... You were sick before Christmas weren't you? ...
Curt, that was a 36-hour GI infection. I got a 3-day reprieve from Christmas Day thru Dec 28, then this more virulent bug got me. Hopefully there won't be any more ugly surprises like this!:eek:
 
Good morning. 43 degrees in King George, VA
Back to work today. It's been a great two weeks of basically slow work over the Christmas and New Years period. Now, it's back to full pace work.
Ken in MD - usually the first day back after the holiday is kinda slow, so maybe that will be some help to ya.
 
37 degrees and the sump is running constantly. I have a water feature eight feet from the layout! It's the main reason I want to move out of this house, it WILL flood one day and I'd rather not be here when it does.
 


Good Morning Gang. 50° and mostly cloudy skies this morning in North Central Texas. Cold spell approaching; this is forecast to be the warmest temperature we'll see until next Monday. Winter blues sets in. I'm looking at the school bus out on the road, and my wife is getting ready for work, so I guess that things are getting back to normal after the holidays, at least around here. My dental visit yesterday took longer than expected because they messed up one of the impressions and had to redo, but ultimately was successful. He claims that these implants (and the ones that he previously did) will last longer than me. Sobering thought!
Did a bit of painting on one of the structures that I am building yesterday, but not much else in the train shed. I did make the trek to the LHS (or DHS), and picked up everything that was on my wish list. Not sure which direction I will be going today as I have a couple of domestic projects to undertake.

Johnny - Good to see you back.
Also working on three model structures at the same time (hope I don't glue something from one to the wrong building :) )
We call that "kitbashing", whether intentional or not!
Garry -
Yesterday, I saw the bald eagles perched high in a tree next to our house.
That's always a neat thing. Is that a sign of winter or a sign of spring in your neck of the woods?
Ken (D&J) - The time with your grandson sounded really enjoyable, even if hectic. Two hours! I know what you mean there as 15 minutes is about the attention span of my grandsons.
Bruce - Nice photos of the layout. That "S"-curve doesn't really look that extreme...can't think of any reason that you are experiencing the uncoupling unless the couplers are at fault. "Water feature eight feet from the layout" - that would scare me as well.
Joe - The Taylor Ham enchiladas were very good.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top