Running Bear's Coffee Shop LX

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Everyone. Happy New Year to all. It's 43° and foggy/rainy this morning. Got to sleep for about two hours before the neighbors about 1/4 mi up the hill set off a really impressive fireworks display last night. I watched from the bedroom window, and thankfully it only lasted about four minutes...probably $2,000 worth of fireworks. I should have known that it was coming, as they set off the first round around 7:30 pm earlier, then watched as they sped away and returned about 20 minutes later...enough time to go to the nearest fireworks stand and partake in the 3 for 1 sale going on!!!
Model Railroading took a back seat yesterday as there was a lot of other stuff happening in my world. I did get away to run trains for about 30 minutes.
I traditionally walk my property lines on New Years Day, but I did it yesterday due to the chance of rain today...much of it is recently plowed/planted grain so it could be quite muddy/slippery. It works out to about 3/4 mile and takes 30 minutes due to the terrain.
Sherrel - Glad that you could update us and report that things are progressing well.
Karl - Congratulations to your wife on the real estate license. Can't take you up on your offer, as central Maryland is too close for me to the land of loonies in DC.
Bruce - Much to the consternation of drivers behind me I also stop and wait at RR crossings when the lights are flashing but before the gates go down. I like to watch. At the place where I used to work, the BNSF had a grade crossing less than 50 yards from our front door. I regularly saw drivers go around the gates and get hit, even though the trains were rarely going over 10 mph. At that speed, no one ever got killed, but there were a few injuries. Must have seen 15 incidents in a 40 year span, and that didn't count the times that I wasn't there.
Eric - Wow! I didn't realize that you were in so much pain that they were giving you morphine. Be careful brother.
Terry - Good to hear from you again. We have missed you.
Toot - Do I qualify at 150 proof???
Everybody have a great day and a great year.

Willie


We have a REAL problem at this crossing, people "run" it all the time because they do switching there and they don't realize there are TWO lines and it is not unusual to have a through train come along while they are switching and folks get killed! I won't chance it even on foot as there is a curve RIGHT there (super elevated) and you just can't see em coming! Better to wait.
 
Good evening, everybody ..... I hope each of you had good New Years Day !

Louis ..... The Irish locomotive photo is very nice. .... I recall when I went to the British Railway Museum in York, England. I'll never forget my visit there.

New Guy .... That is good advice to be careful at grade crossings.

I'm running my Empire Builder along with my version of the Nebraska Zephyr and two freight trains simultaneously. It's fun being a model railroader.
 
Hey gang, just checking in. Been too sick to post lately, haven't been this crippled in decades! I got some unfamiliar strain of the flu that doesn't show up on tests, but the symptoms are real. My doctor said on Friday that it should resolve on its own, but I'm still waiting for that to happen.

Karl - congrats to YOH on her real estate license!
 


Ken in MD ..... Get well soon.

Karl ... Congrats to Mrs. Karl for the R E license.

Sherrel .... Nice looking family.
 
Good morning. Federal holiday today. I'm a defense contractor so I get the day off (paid) too.
Raining and 42 degrees in King George this morning.
My daughter will be bringing one of my grand sons over to run trains later this morning. He is a special needs child and needs a lot of 1 on 1 for just about anything. Highly emotional (bi-polar conduct disorder with major mood swings). He's going on 6 now and I bought him a cog wheel Thomas the Tank train set for Christmas. Just a little loop of track about 18" in diameter and the train bug has set its fangs in him. I'll have to simplify things on the empire so he doesn't become overwhelmed. Maybe just a short train with a small steam locomotive to start with.
Gotta fix some breakfast here. I'm starving. I tried a change in the basic Aunt Jemima receipt for pancakes. I add some yellow cake mix to the batter on a 2:1 ratio. Now the pancakes taste just like they serve at I-Hop. Add some good quality syrup, not that Log Cabin fake syrup brand but the real maple syruple.
 
Good Morning All. Thunderstorms and 57° here this morning. More severe south and east of here (moving away), but it looks like 1/2" of rain so far. Made the grocery/beer trek yesterday, a bit off schedule due to all of the holiday stuff...had to wait in the check-out line for a couple of minutes for 12:00 noon to roll around before they could ring up the beer/wine! Weekdays it's 7:00 am. Today, it's off to the dentist for implant impressions. Four titanium posts have been in for six months, now it's time for the real replacements. It's the last month of my COBRA dental insurance coverage so that worked out.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I ran trains while waiting for glue to dry on the low-relief background industries that I am constructing. Looks like I will finally make the ~110 mi round trip trek to Dallas today to the LHS to pick up some much needed supplies to continue trackwork and other construction needs. I know that there are discounters on the Internet that I could use but I like to "graze" the store and I also like to "hold" the product before I purchase. Besides that, they are located only a few miles from my grandsons who are on their last day of vacation today.

Louis - Your heritage mirrors mine almost exactly. My German grandfather was from the Hamburg area though, next to Lower Saxony, but all of my others were from around County Cork. All emigrated over with their parents in the early 1900's.
Sherrel - Nice looking family members.
Joe - Thought of you over the holiday's when I was indulging in the "Taylor Ham"! I'm using the leftovers to make Taylor Ham enchiladas.
Ken in Md - Get well soon.

All right, a slow weekend in the Coffee Shop. Looking for some of you regulars to return now that the holidays have passed. Otherwise, everyone have a great day.

Willie
 
25 degrees.

New years resolution, NO news is GOOD news, I'll be unplugged as much as possible this year, no "phone" and no internet "news" at ALL, the only site I will be going to is this one.

There is none of what we were raised to recognize as "news" on the endless page, it's become endless filler. Even a collection of words describing an actual event is skewed into an advertisement of some kind, I'm done wasting my time with it.
 
Good morning, everyone. I'm baaaack!! Just leave the coffee urn and give me a big straw - - and a couple of doughnuts, too.
It's 45 and cloudy here in Springfield. Cold front will hit us later this week, but no snow expected this week.
We had all of Christmas week off, plus my wife and I took Dec 22-23 off, too, and I haven't even been online in all that time. This morning I barely glanced at the last week and a half of posts, so sorry if I missed some major stuff - it would take me all day to catch up!

Ken in Maryland - Hope you get to feeling better soon.
Eric - Ugh! Sorry to hear about it - we're pulling for you!

Over the holidays, the boys were over several times, and we made some progress in the train room (now marked with the requisite "Grandpa's Train Room" sign that my granddaughter gave me for Christmas). The first three sections are leveled to one another (those adjustable feet are great!) and screwed to the walls - those things aren't going anywhere! Built a pull-out drawer for the control station, and started laying out roadbed. Also working on three model structures at the same time (hope I don't glue something from one to the wrong building :) )

Will try to post a couple of photos later. Got to run.
Johnny (Raincoat2)
 


Good morning...... Coffee and a donut, please. ........ Foggy and 50 here. .... Yesterday, I saw the bald eagles perched high in a tree next to our house. ........

Willie .... I know what you mean about grazing in the LHS. It is fun t see what they are selling.

Johnny .... Sound like you had a good holiday week.

Ken in VA.... Enjoy your day off. It's time for trains !
 
Good morning, 36 and rain this morning.

Joe - Thought of you over the holiday's when I was indulging in the "Taylor Ham"! I'm using the leftovers to make Taylor Ham enchiladas.

Willie: You're making me hungry for Taylor Ham. Goes great with everything.
Ken: Hope you're feeling better soon.
 
New PB for the DD40! 30 cars all the way around and up the 4% like a champ! It "digs" a little but hogs it up there anyhoo!

DSCF4464.jpgThe hill is tough but most of the problem was uncoupling on the "S" curve after coming downgrade, removing the problem children winnowed it down to 30, the first pull up the hill had 32, but it don't count unless it's an entire lap, up, down and through the curves, THEN it's a "full pull".
DSCF4466.jpgI know about "buffer" cars for tanker strings but what about the placement of a "firefighting" tanker? There has been some debate around here about if it should be in front or in back of the string of tanks, I'm thinking it should be in front of the "buffer" car.
How do they place em in the "real world"?

DSCF4469.jpg
Hope everyone is recovering from the holidays and lets all stand by for a SWEET year!
 
Happy New Year everybody. Start mine off with my B&O project. Already have a gripe. Not even with the unit itself but with the lighting. I had went away from the Athearn bulbs and instead picked up some miniatronics 2mm lamps. Here's my gripe. They only work at full throttle! I know the package read the same. 1.5V same as the Athearn bulbs. I know they are hooked up correctly. Blue Box locomotives as we all know have killer voltage pull yet I have to be wide open to get them to work. It's irritating to say the least. Anyone have any ideas what is going on here?

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk
 
Morning All: 47 and mostly cloudy with some scattered showers around, Hope that it does not screw up the Rose Parade - those folks really work hard and it wou;d be a shame to see their efforts "dampened".
Dumped the Gkids and parents at the curbside checkin for a 10:40 flight back to the other coast. Hellish time to fly - lord knows that I flew enough of those eye burners in my day. Going to have to re-arrange the house today - lol, but sure going to miss them. House was full yesterday all day with them plus the daughters from Newport and local here as well with kids and hubbys' and dogs too. I'd say the total came up to 13 plus 7 dogs and then a couple In-Laws and spouses too. Food is all gone this morning - KEN IN VA has been generous enough to provide an alternative with his flapjack receipt - will try it this morning. On top of all that .. PACKERS WON .. SO ALL IS GOOD IN MY LITTLE WORLD. i'VE even reached the stage that I do not have any pain from my latest surgery YAY, YAY!
KEN in MD - Take care, get well soon, nothing like a cold or flu to really ruin a persons holiday season. My best to you there.

Johnny goof to see you back!

Bruce = Don't give up on all the "choke" news - We are due for some better times ahead me thinks.

:ater, folks
 
New Guy - Nice photos. Nice to see how your layout works. Do you run your track pretty much right up against that back wall? I'm debating whether to leave a few inches between the track and wall to put in a low hill, some trees, etc., and then the instant horizon scenery attached to the wall.
Johnny
 


LOL, Same out here .. except the 100 miles is just one town butted up to another with solid houses in between!

My nearest LHS is in Paducah which is 60 miles one way. It has very little population along the way. Mostly lakes and forests with some farms too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top