Running Bear's Coffee Shop LX

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
25 degrees in King George, VA this morning. To much chance for ice on the road, otherwise I would ride the Harley to work.

Been looking real hard at the Diablo Canyon Bridge project. I really don't think I would be able to create a scale replica of the bridge. I just wouldn't be satisfied with it knowing I don't have the detail in it. Instead, I will create my own version of a bridge, using I and H beams instead of the square tubing bridge components. I find it rather amazing that industry just can't produce brass in the dimensions that I would need. Must be some kind of physical limitations of the material.
 
Good morning Everybody!

Willie this song came up on my Amazon music player yesterday and I wondered what you thought of it. I love it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R13_UM_jwW0

Have a great day Everybody!

Happy Day before Christmas Eve, is that bells I hear?

No I think it's just the normal ringing I always hear ;) Heavy Metal shows, Industrial work, yeah I can't hear to good any more. I might be the next one to get hearing aids. It's all good, I'm still here, thank God!
 
25 degrees in King George, VA this morning. To much chance for ice on the road, otherwise I would ride the Harley to work.

Been looking real hard at the Diablo Canyon Bridge project. I really don't think I would be able to create a scale replica of the bridge. I just wouldn't be satisfied with it knowing I don't have the detail in it. Instead, I will create my own version of a bridge, using I and H beams instead of the square tubing bridge components. I find it rather amazing that industry just can't produce brass in the dimensions that I would need. Must be some kind of physical limitations of the material.

I don't think it's that they CAN'T make it, just that the demand wouldn't be there, may have been at some time, just no longer. Brass, or bronze, these days, far as I can see is mostly a plumbing or electrical applications metal. I was looking a while ago for some model sized I or H section to make Bulkhead flatcar logging bunks for these
1443987914sL4Qp0c1_zpsa20a0712.png

but the only thing I could find was a couple of sizes of square U channel, which would have needed 2 pieces to be soldered back to back to produce the H. At over $20 per 12" length, it was going to work out expensive to do 10 cars.
 


All I know of you is that you are learned man and appear to be a good and just man. You faith or lack of it makes no difference to me. I'm glad I know you. :)
Blush. Aw, shucks.

I was raised a fundamentalist Lutheran and began heading towards atheism and skepticism while in the seminary. Socially, I generally don't have a problem with religious folk and enjoy exchanging views, but I draw the line at government, health and education.

Interestingly, I have more of a social problem with the so-called New Atheists. They're too doctrinaire and confrontational for my taste, although I do like their activism.

That's it, in a nutshell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
 
Blush. Aw, shucks.

I was raised a fundamentalist Lutheran and began heading towards atheism and skepticism while in the seminary. Socially, I generally don't have a problem with religious folk and enjoy exchanging views, but I draw the line at government, health and education.

Interestingly, I have more of a social problem with the so-called New Atheists. They're too doctrinaire and confrontational for my taste, although I do like their activism.

That's it, in a nutshell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Lutheran, that make us cousins? I was raised Catholic, but like many Catholics I pick and choose, I guess that makes me a "buffet Catholic" I just am a man of simple faith, I believe in God, he or she, probably something other we can never understand who's wisdom is so great we could never understand.

I do love my traditions, my Advent candles bring me peace and joy, Lent helps to purify my body, believe me it needs it! I give thanks to God for everything and Everyone.

I'm not one for the "God thinks..." type. I tune them out.

As Pope Francis said "who am I to judge"

I am proud to be an American and our fundamental value of a separation of Church and state gives me hope for our future. After all who's religion do we choose? Better if the government has none. Only one core value "Do unto others as you would have done un to you"

Take this is a good way, God bless you my friend.

santa-claus-arrived.jpg


God bless us Everyone!!!

Now I got to get moving! Ho Ho Ho, it's off to work I go! There are presents to be delivered!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. There are some wispy clouds, and it's 33.

Nobody has gone there, yet, but remember the "no religion" rule here. I don't have a problem with discussing how religions differ from each other, but those discussions have a habit of devolving into "mine is better than yours", and then Administrative action is required. That never ends well...
 
27 degrees.

Sent the wifey off to work and have my feet by the heater, jug o Joe by my side and a couple of War Movies lined up.

"A walk in the Sun" followed by Kelly's Heroes, two of the very best movies with the absolutely WORST theme songs ever in the history of history. I know ALL the words to both and yousta drive my Dad NUTS when I would sing "A walk in the Sun" when we would be out hunting!

My Grandfather was in an I&R platoon MUCH like the one in Kelly's Heroes and they also hit a bank behind enemy lines but they kept the wrong money. I have a cigar box FULL of depression era Mark notes of LARGE denominations, 100,000 Mark notes that as far as I know are worthless! The cigar box is probably worth more than the old money.
 
Nobody has gone there, yet, but remember the "no religion" rule here. I don't have a problem with discussing how religions differ from each other, but those discussions have a habit of devolving into "mine is better than yours", and then Administrative action is required. That never ends well...

I thought it was who's is bigger? no wait, that is pick-up trucks... ah forget I'm confusing myself.

Point taken Terry, :) but tread lightly or NO PRESENTS FOR YOU! :)

Merry Christmas my good friend!
 
Morning everyone! First day of 11 days of vacation!!!!! Might get that basement space cleared out this next week. I will have to go slow with the benchwork because of funds but that's ok because my track plan is changing slightly.
 


Good morning. I'll take a sticky bun with my coffee today. Starting off at 7 above with clear skies. The forecast for the weedend is a winter weather advisory. Already have snow, but a white Christmas with snow falling will be nice.

Ken - Not a good idea to ride a Harley on icy roads. I think you are probably making the right decision in building a bridge that looks similar to the original. Most people really wouldn't know the difference anyway (except you and a few here on the forum). That will still be a good addition to your empire.

David - The Horseshoe Meadow Deport is really nice. Well done.

Got a few things to do and will probably get out of here early (I hope).

Later.
 
Good Morning again. Got home late last night and got up at the normal time of 4:30. After stoking the fire and taking BP meds, I laid back down and slept until 7:30...I don't usually do that. Had a most excellent time at my brother's surprise 60th birthday party last night. Lots of rush hour accidents and 26 miles of freeway construction on the major freeways in Dallas made the trip in take two hours (planned), while the trip home at 10:30 took only one hour. Quite the difference.
Earlier in the day in the train shed, I made the decision to go ahead and use #4 turnouts instead of #6 on the expansion that I pictured yesterday. With that plan, I did start to add roadbed and nail down a little track, but the plan is stalled because I don't have any #4 RH turnouts...won't be visiting the LHS until the week after Christmas. I knew this in advance, so it wasn't a disappointment; I have plenty of other projects to do anyway.

Bruce -
Hire Veterans, we already have health care!
Agreed on the hire veterans, health care in some areas appears to be dubious though.
Chet -
taking the time to get everything to fit and operate properly can save some big headaches down the road.
Fully agree with you on that. I can get benchwork done very quickly, but I purposely slow down after that. Laying track and wiring also goes fast once I determine the configuration. Then it is several months of running all kinds of consists and engines before painting the track and ballasting.
Curt - Adding a ladder to the other end would take too much real estate. I am primarily using this as a staging yard, not a switching or classification yard, so I really don't need an escape route.
David - Great little depot picture.
Karl - Been there, done that with the new computer system. My company spent over 2 million bucks on one in 2011-2012, took 2 years to develop and was junked by 2014. From the beginning, I told them to hire the programmer that developed the old one and have him work for us at a far lower cost. The company that did the original program went out of business and wasn't going to support the old program any more...the developer was out of a job anyway!
Eric - Continued best wishes on your medical adventures. It does seem that they have settled down a bit.
Sherrel - How did it go yesterday. I hope that you are resting comfortably.
Louis - I do remember that song from the early 2000's. Always liked Tommy Iommi...did you know that he played briefly with Jethro Tull in the 60's before forming Black Sabbath?

Everybody have a great pre-Christmas Eve.
Willie
 
Lutheran, that make us cousins?
Kissing? Well OK, but no tongue.

Take this is a good way, God bless you my friend.
Blessings and good wishes are accepted in the spirit in which they are given. Thanks, and the same to you.

One other thing: “There are many things from which I might have derived good, by which I have not profited, I dare say,” returned the nephew. “Christmas among the rest. But I am sure I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round—apart from the veneration due to its sacred name and origin, if anything belonging to it can be apart from that—as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow-passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys. And therefore, uncle, though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that it has done me good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless it!”



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. There are some wispy clouds, and it's 33.

Nobody has gone there, yet, but remember the "no religion" rule here. I don't have a problem with discussing how religions differ from each other, but those discussions have a habit of devolving into "mine is better than yours", and then Administrative action is required. That never ends well...
The no religion rule is honored more in the breach than in the observation. Strictly speaking, prayers and religious holidays should be banned but no one has ever accused me of strictly observing any rule or regulation. All I require is that my lack of belief be accorded the same respect that others require for their belief.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
 
Good afternoon. Still cold out here. Up to 18 degrees. Got everything done at work so I am out of here. We have bowling league tonight and tomorrow will be a busy day so I want to wish everyone a

MERRY CHRISTMAS in case I don't have a chance to get on tomorrow.

Christmas train.jpg
 
Hi guys,

Hard to catch up on all the discussion, putting a few pieces together.

We have light snow and about 7" on the ground accumulated from the winter. We had a few above freezing days so the snowpack is settled.
For my new schedule I have 8 hour days Wed and Thurs, 12 hour days Friday and Saturday, then 3 days off. The schedule is nice.

more later, LASM
 
Afternoon All,

Did some cleaning around the house today. I did some odds and ends on the layout for awhile also.

CA Dave- Nicely done on the depot. Cool little loco. I have a similar one that a friend passed on to me along with a Lionel pocket watch (that I put in a display case) that belonged to his father that had passed away. He said I would appreciate it, which meant a lot to me.

20161223_150850_zpss3wmivnq.jpg


VA Ken- After seeing your past modeling I have no doubt whatever you decide to do will be impressive.

Sauced- Enjoy your vacation.

Chet- You can keep the snow and ice, but I do like a cool Christmas day but that won't be happening here. Now they're saying it will be 83 F and humid.

Dave- Good to hear from you. I take it you're back in MN now?

I hope everyone has a good night.
 


Dave- Good to hear from you. I take it you're back in MN now?

I hope everyone has a good night.

Hi,

I have been working in MN the whole time. Texas and Nebraska were just places they sent me for training.

I like the little loco, I have one like it as well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top