Running Bear's Coffee Shop LX

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Louis, do you mean leaned inward, with a huge negative camber? Supposedly, the car will corner better that way, as the outer tire will "roll" outward to make all the tread contact the road in corners. Also, many of the cars have been lowered, and that angle is what happens when the suspension is pushed below its lower limit.
 
Just for "fun", here's a picture of the rear tire on the truck. The differential is plainly visible, and the tire has never been off the rear axle:
I don't think I have ever seen a tire wear like that on a solid rear axle. Even on my Bronco the rear tire wears evenly.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk
 
That is it Terry, It's been so long I could not remember if it was camber or caster.

When I worked at a tire shops my standard reply to customers wanting to customize "I will not under any circumstances change the geometry of your vehicle, I have mechanics not engineers working here. I won't except the risk of liability."
 


Just for "fun", here's a picture of the rear tire on the truck. The differential is plainly visible, and the tire has never been off the rear axle:

Didn't you say something about the chassis having damage. Have someone drive it away from you (yeah, I know, I know) while you observe from behind. If it looks like a dog when it runs i.e. at an angle instead of straight, the chassis has probably been pushed out of square by a blow to one corner. If it is negative camber, there's nothing wrong with a bit of "Stance"
 
Hey Beady, I can't help you with the Star Wars question, I have not seen the movie and your question seems to be wrong on many levels.
Umm... It's all in the difference between Rogue 1 and Rouge 1. I am mildly dismayed that I'm apparently the only one to catch it.

As for the power of prayer, Hopkins ran a study that proved prayer helps those who have faith in it. Call it the power of positive thinking or the mind's power for healing. I personally believe God has given all of us the power of healing if we have faith we can tap into it. However you believe it can work. We only have to eliminate the negative waves baby.
There have been several such studies, and I'm afraid you've fallen victim to how their conclusions have been misrepresented.[p]

This is the last half of the Abstract to "Science, Medicine, and Intercessory Prayer," Richard P. Sloan, Rajasekhar Ramakrishnan, Johns Hopkins University Press ( https://muse.jhu.edu/article/204474): [p]

"As we demonstrate, however, studies of intercessory prayer (IP) fail to meet the standards of RCTs in several critical respects. They fail to adequately measure and control exposure to prayer from others, which is likely to exceed IP and to vary widely from subject to subject, and whose magnitude is unknown. This supplemental prayer so greatly attenuates the differences between the treatment and control groups that sample sizes are too large to justify studies of IP. Further, IP studies generally do not specify the outcome variables, raising problems of multiple comparisons and Type 1 errors. Finally, these studies claim findings incompatible with current views of the physical universe and consciousness. Unless these problems are solved, studies of IP should not be conducted" (my bolding). [p]

This is from a critique of another such study: [p]

"Results showed no statistically significant differences between the prayed-for and non-prayed-for groups. Although the following findings were not statistically significant, 59% of patients who knew that they were being prayed for suffered complications, compared with 51% of those who were uncertain whether they were being prayed for or not; and 18% in the uninformed prayer group suffered major complications such as heart attack or stroke, compared with 13% in the group that received no prayers." http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/06-04-05/ [p]

Depending on how you and the other members feel about it, we can continue, drop it or take it to PM. Personally, I'd be interested to see documentation of any historical instance where prayer has been more effective than contemporary medical science.







Oh crap!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mornin all! I had frost on my truck windows this morning, can you believe it? The agony of living in South Carolina. Only getting into the 50's today. Last night my step son and I cleaned out some more in the "designated train area", making progress. Still tweeking my layout ideas.
I'm not complaining but just so you know on Monday I was super happy when it got in to the low teens! Mostly I'm healing of you!

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
 
Umm... It's all in the difference between Rogue 1 and Rouge 1. I am mildly dismayed that I'm apparently the only one to catch it.

There have been several such studies, and I'm afraid you've fallen victim to how their conclusions have been misrepresented.[p]

This is the last half of the Abstract to "Science, Medicine, and Intercessory Prayer," Richard P. Sloan, Rajasekhar Ramakrishnan, Johns Hopkins University Press ( https://muse.jhu.edu/article/204474): [p]

"As we demonstrate, however, studies of intercessory prayer (IP) fail to meet the standards of RCTs in several critical respects. They fail to adequately measure and control exposure to prayer from others, which is likely to exceed IP and to vary widely from subject to subject, and whose magnitude is unknown. This supplemental prayer so greatly attenuates the differences between the treatment and control groups that sample sizes are too large to justify studies of IP. Further, IP studies generally do not specify the outcome variables, raising problems of multiple comparisons and Type 1 errors. Finally, these studies claim findings incompatible with current views of the physical universe and consciousness. Unless these problems are solved, studies of IP should not be conducted" (my bolding). [p]

This is from a critique of another such study: [p]

"Results showed no statistically significant differences between the prayed-for and non-prayed-for groups. Although the following findings were not statistically significant, 59% of patients who knew that they were being prayed for suffered complications, compared with 51% of those who were uncertain whether they were being prayed for or not; and 18% in the uninformed prayer group suffered major complications such as heart attack or stroke, compared with 13% in the group that received no prayers." http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/06-04-05/ [p]

Depending on how you and the other members feel about it, we can continue, drop it or take it to PM. Personally, I'd be interested to see documentation of any historical instance where prayer has been more effective than contemporary medical science.







Oh crap!

Statistics are great! 3 out of 5 prefer em 2 to 1! LOL!

I'm very sorry you have not seen the Positive Power of Prayer for yourself, I'm not particularly religious in any way and "poo-pooed" that kind of thing for years.

Then I saw it and it is as real as the parachutes that saved my life!
 
Statistics are great! 3 out of 5 prefer em 2 to 1! LOL!

I'm very sorry you have not seen the Positive Power of Prayer for yourself, I'm not particularly religious in any way and "poo-pooed" that kind of thing for years.

Then I saw it and it is as real as the parachutes that saved my life!
Then why did you need the parachute?



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
 


Happy Holidays fellow Rail Placers & Spike Drivers,
Hi Flo & Francine, Happy Holidays to both of you. Your getting Jeffreys' Dinner decorated up very nice. How about some coffee and a Apple Fritter? Ya, that seems to be my standard order as of late.

It's been fairly cool here especially once the sun sets as the cold moisture moves in, burr.
It's now 10:10 Pm and here are the stats:
Clear at 37.2 °F, Feels Like 32 °F;
Winds are from East at 6.0 mph;
Pressure 30.07 in
Visibility 2.5 miles
Clouds Clear
Windchill 32 °F
Dew Point 36 °F
Humidity 96%
Rainfall 0.00 in
Snow Depth Not available.


Morning Railroad Lovers!
It's a spanking 59 degrees at 7:20 this morning! Looks as if there is a "chance" of rain for the next three days .. hmmm?
Ok .. yesterday turned out to be 79 for a high -- beautiful, bright, and sunny! Today is only forecast for 69.

CA David - No cell phones back in those days, and the bus only ran on a half hour schedule. I stood there freezing and walking around for 10-12 minutes and lucked out with someone coming in to work - got to sit in the car with them while waiting on the bus to return. Back at the terminal and called the B-Unit for a ride. Just left the car in the lot until the temp warmed up a couple days later.
Your driving experience in the fog must have been nerve racking. As the saying goes - Been there done that! Not a pleasant feeling. I can see how some of the multi car pile ups happen.

Back atcha later ..


Serrel: I bet that was trying for you too to find your car door was frozen shut and nowhere to go till someone else came along. It's no fun being stuck out in the cold and you may not have been dressed all that warm either, especially having just finished flying in a nice warm jet?

As for my situation in the fog that was really like a Twilight-Zone experiences as your just feeling your way along and not knowing where your really at? In the beginning when I turned Left onto road 600 from the Raymond Rd./Rd. 415, that I live on, there were no signs for me to go by, it just that at that intersection to stay on Rd. 415 you have to make a bit of a Right hand jog and in the fog I missed it but should have kept following the white line. After going about a mile of more down 600 I began to see some home lights and then dropped down and crossed a bridge that I knew wasn't correct so I turned around and slowly went back to the intersection and there I had a Stop sign to denote the intersection and made a Left to get headed back the right way but none the less I was just going along through the dark back country feeling my way along and hardly another sole on the road. I was very releaved that I made it back. I was driving my Eclipse which has a great heater in it so I wasn't cold at all, but lost, yeah, I guess I'd have to say I was. It's an eerie feeling alright.
I guess it would be very similar to you flying blind, no instruments or raydar to know what's coming up, through a fairly dense cloud.


A quick update on my crises:
The pooch is back to almost normal.
The package arrived from its grand tour, with no problems other than a few more miles on the clock.
The stealership has acknowledged the issue, and promised to find a suitable replacement. The biggest problem is, I traded in a vehicle along with my truck to get it, and there was a huge amount of negative equity involved. Second biggest problem, it needs to be capable of towing our travel trailer, 7700 pounds' worth. It almost requires a full size pickup or SUV, and they ain't cheap, with all the demand for those.



Terry: Glad to hear your pooch now seems to be doing better. Lets hope in continues


I'm not complaining but just so you know on Monday I was super happy when it got in to the low teens! Mostly I'm healing of you!

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk


Say Matt: Good to see you posting again, I hope everything is going along well for you and your wife?



Statistics are great! 3 out of 5 prefer em 2 to 1! LOL!

I'm very sorry you have not seen the Positive Power of Prayer for yourself, I'm not particularly religious in any way and "poo-pooed" that kind of thing for years.

Then I saw it and it is as real as the parachutes that saved my life!


Bruce: I'll have to agree, it certainly does seem to work.
 
Beady;439794 There have been several such studies said:
This is the last half of the Abstract to "Science, Medicine, and Intercessory Prayer," Richard P. Sloan, Rajasekhar Ramakrishnan, Johns Hopkins University Press ( https://muse.jhu.edu/article/204474): [p]

"As we demonstrate, however, studies of intercessory prayer (IP) fail to meet the standards of RCTs in several critical respects. They fail to adequately measure and control exposure to prayer from others, which is likely to exceed IP and to vary widely from subject to subject, and whose magnitude is unknown. This supplemental prayer so greatly attenuates the differences between the treatment and control groups that sample sizes are too large to justify studies of IP. Further, IP studies generally do not specify the outcome variables, raising problems of multiple comparisons and Type 1 errors. Finally, these studies claim findings incompatible with current views of the physical universe and consciousness. Unless these problems are solved, studies of IP should not be conducted" (my bolding). [p]

This is from a critique of another such study: [p]

"Results showed no statistically significant differences between the prayed-for and non-prayed-for groups. Although the following findings were not statistically significant, 59% of patients who knew that they were being prayed for suffered complications, compared with 51% of those who were uncertain whether they were being prayed for or not; and 18% in the uninformed prayer group suffered major complications such as heart attack or stroke, compared with 13% in the group that received no prayers." http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/06-04-05/ [p]

Depending on how you and the other members feel about it, we can continue, drop it or take it to PM. Personally, I'd be interested to see documentation of any historical instance where prayer has been more effective than contemporary medical science.

It was a story I heard on the radio (NPR) or read in the newspaper (Baltimore Sun, New York Times etc.), not fake news I should say. I did not bother to dig deeper. Like many people, I am not very skeptical of stories that tell me what I want to hear.

No need to go further, I'm not an evangelist. Faith should be left to the individual. Faith should be spread by example, not words. On this subject we can agree to disagree.

I am of unshakable faith, the mystery of faith is more than enough proof for me. You are far more knowledgeable on this subject than I am. I could never convince you through debate. nor would I want to.

I can tell you my faith has provided me with great comfort and inspired inner strength in my darkest hours. I can't speak for others or offer any proof.

I try my level best to judge people by my dealings with them, not by what others say, their faith, appearance, class or any other superficial thing.

All I know of you is that you are learned man and appear to be a good and just man. You faith or lack of it makes no difference to me. I'm glad I know you. :)
 
Good morning Everybody

busy day, lots to do, thank God!

Enjoy the holidays and have a great day Everybody!
 
I love it when all the ducks lineup in a row!

My little man was a big help this morning, getting himself ready for school, well mostly himself. I know I have spoiled him, everybody tells me so. It won't be much longer he will want me to help him get ready. That allowed me to get my sh.. stuff together, now I'm mostly all set! That enabled me to spend a few minutes more with my train buddies. Aren't you glad, too bad if you're not! :)

I joined this forum in 2013, but only recently has my health improved allowing me to return to the realm of finical productivity. The down side is I don't have my Christmas trains set up on my layout, but that wont dampen Christmas. I'll play with my trains my son set up under the Christmas tree.

Rather than digging into reserves or using credit to pay for Christmas I have been able to cover Christmas, household expenses and put a few dollars back in reserve!

My free time is non-existent and I only put in 8 hours a day or so. I'd do more, but they won't let me. It's nice to work with people who have a heart.

Did I mention who my primary customer has become? I don't know if I did, Amazon! I picked up a contract to make deliveries for them. I only called on them as a whim and low and behold they are great people to deal with. Honest, forthright and believe it or not, caring. They are balls to the walls with Christmas, but they refuse to work me into the ground. They say "we will need you to be long term".

They want me to hire a few employees to increase my work load, but that won't happen any time soon. The $20000 for each Chevy City Express cargo van, no problem, $20 per hour for each driver, no problem, the cost of health care, THE PROBLEM!!! I won't go into another rant about that, I ruffled some feathers with that one. Let's see what the other side can do about that one. House, Senate, Executive branch and the Supreme court, no excuses bubba.

So I'm a one man show, perking, working and having a ball! I won't get rich, but now I see why UPS can pay union wages and benefits! At my age and health I won't put that much money on the line, too much risk for me. I refuse to use bankruptcy as standard business practice to back up my screw ups. I'll keep it as a one man show.

The best part is it's fun! I get to be Santa delivering presents!!! They send me into the high class neighborhoods in the mid mornings-afternoons and into the inner city in the afternoons-evenings. I get to see first hand everybody is the same.

I can still be here for my little man in the morning and pick him up from school in the afternoon. The job is so easy I can do it with one hand and one semi-useless hand. It's the easiest job I have ever had, but I LOVE IT!!!! After sitting on the bench for over 10 years I can't tell you how good it feels to be productive.

I could tolerate the sitting when I was in much worse health, but now I seem to be getting better everyday. I dropped 2 pants sizes, but only lost 5lbs. I am regaining some muscle, in my legs for sure!

It's a gift from God, thank you God!

Have Faith; do your best and let God take care of the rest.

God Bless us Everyone!
 
Over 30 degrees and if there was no snow I'd be on the scooter!

Not quite but WOW! Nice change from the last few days.
 
Good Morning All. 42° and partly cloudy this morning. Daylight hours are getting longer starting today...5 seconds longer than yesterday! Yesterday was a beautiful day to go grocery/beer shopping, temperature in the 60's and the young housewives looked great! Finished all of my Christmas shopping as well. Wife made some more cookies for me to bring by, cranberry-pecan shortbread ones today. Enjoy and get them before Garry gets here.

Several Coffee Shop visitors asked for progress photos on my expansion, not really much to show. I've been fooling around with turnouts and flex-track on the 16' x 18" section. My intent was to have primarily a staging yard with some scenery on this end...the other end has no scenery. So the tracks are a little further apart, and I intend to have a wall full of low-relief industries in the back. Here's a tentative incomplete view.
12-22-16 001.JPG12-22-16 004.jpg
After looking at it for two days, I am entertaining thoughts of replacing the series of #6 turnouts at the top with #4's, and gaining 6"-15" on each of the staging tracks. All of my equipment will negotiate #4's, as that is what I mainly used on the other end of the layout. The track on the left will have industry spurs on it, and will eventually extend over the back of my yet to be built workbench on the bottom of the picture, a "drive-in" RIP track so to speak.
Things are going to slow down for a few days until after the holidays.

Chet - Obviously partly cloudy means something different up there in Montana than it does here!!!
Sauced07 - Athearn diesels are still really easy to work on. The RTR still have the "over-lubrication" syndrome that has always been an Athearn feature since the 60's. Easy to remedy though, as Justin just found out.
Terry - Things appear to be looking up! Good luck with the truck.

Just a thought...Prayer is just another term for positive-thinking.
Everybody have a great day. Merry Christmas to all.

Willie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I love it when all the ducks lineup in a row!

My little man was a big help this morning, getting himself ready for school, well mostly himself. I know I have spoiled him, everybody tells me so. It won't be much longer he will want me to help him get ready. That allowed me to get my sh.. stuff together, now I'm mostly all set! That enabled me to spend a few minutes more with my train buddies. Aren't you glad, too bad if you're not! :)

I joined this forum in 2013, but only recently has my health improved allowing me to return to the realm of finical productivity. The down side is I don't have my Christmas trains set up on my layout, but that wont dampen Christmas. I'll play with my trains my son set up under the Christmas tree.

Rather than digging into reserves or using credit to pay for Christmas I have been able to cover Christmas, household expenses and put a few dollars back in reserve!

My free time is non-existent and I only put in 8 hours a day or so. I'd do more, but they won't let me. It's nice to work with people who have a heart.

Did I mention who my primary customer has become? I don't know if I did, Amazon! I picked up a contract to make deliveries for them. I only called on them as a whim and low and behold they are great people to deal with. Honest, forthright and believe it or not, caring. They are balls to the walls with Christmas, but they refuse to work me into the ground. They say "we will need you to be long term".

They want me to hire a few employees to increase my work load, but that won't happen any time soon. The $20000 for each Chevy City Express cargo van, no problem, $20 per hour for each driver, no problem, the cost of health care, THE PROBLEM!!! I won't go into another rant about that, I ruffled some feathers with that one. Let's see what the other side can do about that one. House, Senate, Executive branch and the Supreme court, no excuses bubba.

So I'm a one man show, perking, working and having a ball! I won't get rich, but now I see why UPS can pay union wages and benefits! At my age and health I won't put that much money on the line, too much risk for me. I refuse to use bankruptcy as standard business practice to back up my screw ups. I'll keep it as a one man show.

The best part is it's fun! I get to be Santa delivering presents!!! They send me into the high class neighborhoods in the mid mornings-afternoons and into the inner city in the afternoons-evenings. I get to see first hand everybody is the same.

I can still be here for my little man in the morning and pick him up from school in the afternoon. The job is so easy I can do it with one hand and one semi-useless hand. It's the easiest job I have ever had, but I LOVE IT!!!! After sitting on the bench for over 10 years I can't tell you how good it feels to be productive.

I could tolerate the sitting when I was in much worse health, but now I seem to be getting better everyday. I dropped 2 pants sizes, but only lost 5lbs. I am regaining some muscle, in my legs for sure!

It's a gift from God, thank you God!

Have Faith; do your best and let God take care of the rest.

God Bless us Everyone!

Hire Veterans, we already have health care!
 
I hope that it's going to be a nice day for everyone. It's 52 and very cloudy (I think-still dark). Going to be 62 they say for a high with scattered showers all day.
We received 5% of our yearly rainfall yesterday and it took me an hour and 45 minutes to drive the 46.7 miles to visit with the anesthesiologist - which I really did not want to do - but it was insisted that I do so. I'm off to the hospital in about an hour and PRAY that I will be back home in better, but sore, shape this afternoon.
Sorry for the short consisted writings this morning. Trying to type this in the dark with only the light of the screen as the Spousal Unit is still asleep next to me on the couch here. ( the dogs have already voiced their dis-approval of the arrangement)

In the words of someone who was very dear to me: I had rather believe in, die, and find out that there is no God than to not believe in, die, and find out that there is! In the words of LOUIS: No need to go further, I'm not an evangelist. Faith should be left to the individual. Faith should be spread by example, not words.

Jesus is the reason for the season, period.
 


I hope that it's going to be a nice day for everyone. It's 52 and very cloudy (I think-still dark). Going to be 62 they say for a high with scattered showers all day.
We received 5% of our yearly rainfall yesterday and it took me an hour and 45 minutes to drive the 46.7 miles to visit with the anesthesiologist - which I really did not want to do - but it was insisted that I do so. I'm off to the hospital in about an hour and PRAY that I will be back home in better, but sore, shape this afternoon.
Sorry for the short consisted writings this morning. Trying to type this in the dark with only the light of the screen as the Spousal Unit is still asleep next to me on the couch here. ( the dogs have already voiced their dis-approval of the arrangement)

In the words of someone who was very dear to me: I had rather believe in, die, and find out that there is no God than to not believe in, die, and find out that there is! In the words of LOUIS: No need to go further, I'm not an evangelist. Faith should be left to the individual. Faith should be spread by example, not words.

Jesus is the reason for the season, period.

Great day for an operation! LOL! Good luck and have a safe drive there and back, that is the most dangerous part!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top