Running Bear's Coffee Shop LX

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.


Good afternoon fellers. Two down and one to go. I shot a video of my C&O GP35. Talk about a difference. Thanks again Terry for the advice. The pickups were.....wow! They were bad.
https://vimeo.com/196634607
These Athearn RTR GP35s are a pain in the but however when it comes to reinstalling the shells. Held on with the couplers.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk
 
Those Athearn RTR locomotives, are they like what used to come from Athearn before all the DCC stuff? I've been out of the loop for about 10 years and for now would just like to get locos the way I used to since I won't have DCC for a while.
 
Those Athearn RTR locomotives, are they like what used to come from Athearn before all the DCC stuff? I've been out of the loop for about 10 years and for now would just like to get locos the way I used to since I won't have DCC for a while.
They are but they ain't. If you gather what I'm saying. The RTR units come with quick plug data boards. They did away with the pickup tab and isolated the motor from the frame. I have been retrofitting my blueboxes with the data boards and swapping out the in cab light with grain of wheat bulbs and getting them to have directional lighting. Athearn would be awesome if their quality control was on point. Their handrails will come off the shell if you just look at them the wrong way. Mechanical aspect though, they did do away with the old drive shaft system for a hex head shaft that from what I have researched is prone to breakage however I have yet to have one break. Can motors are basically the same. I'm sure they have made them better than the old ones. Aside from a pickup issue and a broken pickup on a used unit I have I love them and they are a staple on my layout. Oh and before I forget. I run DC on my layout as well.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk
 
It will just be me running the whole layout for the most part. It's gonna be double decked and my wife can't see over what the top deck height will be ( somewhat intentional)so as of now DCC isn't the priority. I about spit coffee everywhere when I decided to get back into it and looked at the price of railcars and locos now.
 
It will just be me running the whole layout for the most part. It's gonna be double decked and my wife can't see over what the top deck height will be ( somewhat intentional)so as of now DCC isn't the priority. I about spit coffee everywhere when I decided to get back into it and looked at the price of railcars and locos now.

Ebay, and Facebook sale groups are your friends.
There are several groups that buy and sell on facebook.
 
Afternoon All,

It's been cool and damp here today. It's currently 70 F and over the next several days warm up to the 80's again. Christmas is supposed to be 80 F. Did a couple of chores this morning and ran a couple of errands. I wanted to spray paint the warning towers today but with the dampness in the air I decided not to. What I did do was make 4 bases from wood, drilled them out and painted them (inside) with gray acrylic.

I don't know why everybody is making such a big deal about the cold, snow, and ice. Down here in Florida we have to deal with dead leaves in our yards and on our vehicles! OK, just joking. We pay our weather price during summer.

Eric- Absolutely fabulous news.

Johnny- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you also.

I hope everyone has a good night.
 


Afternoon All,

Went to see Rouge 1 with my son.
Is that where Han Solo puts on lipstick and mascara?

Eric, I don't know about prayer, but modern medicine keeps getting better and better. Congrats; tell your doctors to keep up the good work.



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mornin all! I had frost on my truck windows this morning, can you believe it?
That's what that setting is all the way to the right on your climate controller in your car. I used mine this morning. No muss, no fuss, the frost was all gone in about 5 minutes.
 
A quick update on my crises:
The pooch is back to almost normal.
The package arrived from its grand tour, with no problems other than a few more miles on the clock.
The stealership has acknowledged the issue, and promised to find a suitable replacement. The biggest problem is, I traded in a vehicle along with my truck to get it, and there was a huge amount of negative equity involved. Second biggest problem, it needs to be capable of towing our travel trailer, 7700 pounds' worth. It almost requires a full size pickup or SUV, and they ain't cheap, with all the demand for those.
 
I had to post this for Karl ;)
15578480_10153963860691891_6608690035993797875_n.jpg


Chet I know you are right about my arm, but I have a tendency to be a stubborn fool.

I was going to have the right shoulder repaired after baseball season in 2015 because I could not throw. Of course I procrastinated and when spring 2016 rolled around I started throwing left handed. Then out of the blue my right arm was good to go again. I think it got jealous.

I'll see how the left one feels in 6-8 weeks and then decide what to do next.

It's still fairly useless, but a little less useless with each passing day. I managed to put in another 8 hours today. :)
 
Eric-that news just made my day! Keep it up!

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas, sorry i havnt been around, i have been very busy for the last few days and probably will be until after Christmas.
 
Louis - I understand your mother's feelings. I never wanted to admit that I needed them (hearing aids), but I would go to daily morning meetings at work with 13 others, and I could only really understand 2-3 of them. After the meeting was over, I would go to a fellow manager's office and ask him what we discussed.

Willie, forgive me. I did not make myself clear, my Mom does have hearing aids. I would like her to switch to Costco. Her current supplier is not very good or my Mom is being cheap. She has had many problems with the ones she has.
 
Allow me to throw down some awesome news upon you good brethren.
...
...
Specifically in the jawbone/mandible area it went from appearing to be completely blacked out like someone blacking out something for a redaction and then making a copy of it. Compare that to a completely cancer free healthy jaw except for a 5 teeth missing, it's completely spotless.

Eric that's fantastic news! I'll keep on praying until you're completely out of this dark tunnel!
 
Is that where Han Solo puts on lipstick and mascara?

Eric, I don't know about prayer, but modern medicine keeps getting better and better. Congrats; tell your doctors to keep up the good work.



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Hey Beady, I can't help you with the Star Wars question, I have not seen the movie and your question seems to be wrong on many levels.

As for the power of prayer, Hopkins ran a study that proved prayer helps those who have faith in it. Call it the power of positive thinking or the mind's power for healing. I personally believe God has given all of us the power of healing if we have faith we can tap into it. However you believe it can work. We only have to eliminate the negative waves baby.
 
A quick update on my crises:
The pooch is back to almost normal.
The package arrived from its grand tour, with no problems other than a few more miles on the clock.
The stealership has acknowledged the issue, and promised to find a suitable replacement. The biggest problem is, I traded in a vehicle along with my truck to get it, and there was a huge amount of negative equity involved. Second biggest problem, it needs to be capable of towing our travel trailer, 7700 pounds' worth. It almost requires a full size pickup or SUV, and they ain't cheap, with all the demand for those.

That is great news about the dog, not good about the truck. Have the dealer flip the tire over on the wheel to wear out the other side when you get to about 50% tread left. Some crazy street rod guys do that.

Here is a rhetorical question; why do some modern street rod guys want their tires to be at such a crazy angle? I guess they think it looks cool? It just looks stupid to me! I told my youngest daughter's boyfriend that about his car, he seemed offended. He did later sell the car, what jack ass bought that? I don't want to know. It should have been sold for parts.
 


Just for "fun", here's a picture of the rear tire on the truck. The differential is plainly visible, and the tire has never been off the rear axle:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1588.jpg
    IMG_1588.jpg
    703.4 KB · Views: 279
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top