New Indoor N Scale

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I also use 1/2" plywood with 1" x 4"s every 24 ". I have used 5/8" in the past but it is overkill. You're only supporting model trains, not body weight.
Willie
 
I also use 1/2" plywood with 1" x 4"s every 24 ". I have used 5/8" in the past but it is overkill. You're only supporting model trains, not body weight.
Willie

Ya never know, I made sure I could crawl up ON the thing! Even though I can REACH all of it, WORKING on it is another story, give yourself some leeway to really LEAN on it if you HAVE to! Ya never know!
 


That's also my plan, except that since the size of my layout is a little bigger and since I want to see trains running ASAP, I'm going to mix it up a little bit on one section of the layout, but it's a very narrow section with not much happening.

That is my plan; however, you know how "plans" normally go ... I'm sure I will get antsy and want to see how "some" scenery is going to look :D

Tony , do you think the 1/2 inch ply will work? I used 5/8 on mine and questioned on spot enough that I put extra support on it . My girders were on 16 inch centers .

1/2" should be fine, especially for the grades where it needs to be a little pliable. I used 1/2" on the HO layout with 16" centers on the joists/bearers and haven't had any problems with it.
 
Evening all,

This is how the new layout will most likely look, courtesy of Bill "The Track Planner":

Cannon%20Track%20Plan%20V1R0_zps7lxop40y.jpg


This is the first draft but I cannot see anything that needs or could be changed.
 
That will make for a nice layout Tony , it appears to have everything you wanted . Nice long runs to watch the trains cruise around and plenty of switching/operations . Only thing I can see that you may want to add is a place for a passenger station . If I recall passenger service was one of your must haves?
 
Jim,

Thank you and yes it does cover everything I wanted and more. While I love the plan, I would prefer it to be Mirrored with the Main Town on the Left and the Lake on the right, larger with station and small town and with industry.

All in all though, it is looking very good for the first draft and I am impressed with Bill's work.
 
Are you limited by space? If not, couldn't you make some small alterations or have them incorporated into the plan? I agree about the need for more industry.
 
Looks like an interesting plan with a lot of operating in it. Like it Tony. We'll be watching the build. Good luck.

Hope you had a good Christmas with your family.
 


Looks awesome! I've got one started too that looks similar to yours. Post lots of pics please!! ;-)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thought I would start the "New Indoor Layout" with what I have in mind for the track plan.
Wow, how did I miss this thread until now. Must have been too busy with the Christmas Forest. Guess I missed my shot at doing a design.:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Are you limited by space? If not, couldn't you make some small alterations or have them incorporated into the plan? I agree about the need for more industry.

Bob,

Yes I am limited by space. The dimensions of what is shown is the maximum I can go unfortunately. In so far as Industry is concerned, I think there is too much on this design. The primary function of the layout is passenger trains with limited industry for interests sake only. I actually want less industry or for it to be more centralized.

Looks like an interesting plan with a lot of operating in it. Like it Tony. We'll be watching the build. Good luck.

Hope you had a good Christmas with your family.

Chet,

First off thank you and yeah, it wasn't bad - hopes yours was a good one too. I like a lot of the design but not all of it. I have asked or some things to be changed, in fact, for it to be mirrored and with less industry and industrial spurs for the reasons mentioned above. I really like the double main and the yard area as well as the cross over and positioning of tunnels - just not the amount of spurs and "scattered around industry. With that being said, I am looking forward to building the end design.

Looks like fun to build/operate!! I am sure you will do the deluxe job on scenery and buildings!

David,

Thank you and yes, this design does look fun to run, that's for sure. I don't know if it is just the schematic or just me but there doesn't seem to be all that much room for scenery as such so that should be pretty easy to put in. In one way, I think that may be a good thing and when it comes down to it, how compex the "scenery side" will be will be more or less up to me. I am hoping that I can do a good job with it and not fail the track plan.

Looks awesome! I've got one started too that looks similar to yours. Post lots of pics please!! ;-)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dudepants,

Once I get the final design settled upon and it started there will be regular updates with pictures, videos, lots of "how in hell do I do such and such, complaints and everythig else that goes with a build :)

Wow, how did I miss this thread until now. Must have been too busy with the Christmas Forest. Guess I missed my shot at doing a design.:)

Horseman,

To be honest you haven't missed much as this is in it's infancy and very much still in the planning stage. As for "missing your shot at a design" ... not at all!!! I would be very interested in what you had to suggest.
 
Tony, I know that this is intended to replace the HO layout in the house, but in reading all of your various threads I don't recall reading anything regarding the "shed N layout". Has it been abandoned or is just on hiatus due to weather?
Willie
 
Hi Tony,

Happy New Year to you and your family.
I like the layout design, just my type, full and lots of potential operations.
I also can't wait and see you get started.
GL
 
YA Tony! Number them so we can keep track, you do some of the best scenery work I've seen on here! Them 'scenes' you film are neato!
 
I see the sawmill will be a main industry, will the other industries utilize the wood products?
 
Tony, I know that this is intended to replace the HO layout in the house, but in reading all of your various threads I don't recall reading anything regarding the "shed N layout". Has it been abandoned or is just on hiatus due to weather?
Willie

Willie,

The Shed layout has been abandoned in favor of having one GOOD layout indoors. I can say that what was done (the shed layout) was not a waste of time though - it certainly showed me what was able to be done and was the inspiration for this new and only layout.

Hi Tony,

Happy New Year to you and your family.
I like the layout design, just my type, full and lots of potential operations.
I also can't wait and see you get started.
GL

Hawke,

Thank you and a Happy New Year to you and your family as well. I am looking forward to getting this under way as well, the only stumbling block at the moment is the removal of the HO layout. Once I have that out the fun will begin.

YA Tony! Number them so we can keep track, you do some of the best scenery work I've seen on here! Them 'scenes' you film are neato!

New Guy,

Thank you for the compliment re the scenery - I appreciate that a great deal. As for numbering my layouts, that is going to be easy from here on in - one.

I see the sawmill will be a main industry, will the other industries utilize the wood products?

Lynn,

There have been some changes to the design, see below, so the sawmill has gone and I now only have 2 industries of any note which, in my opinion, is enough for my purposes. With that being said, there has been nothing set in concrete for what industries I will have - only suggested ones and the proposed locations for them so a sawmill is still a good possibility.

Okay so here is the revised design, one I think offers up everything that I am looking for plus some:

Cannon%20Track%20Plan%20Final_zps9kyx2zqt.jpg


This gives me my passenger operations along with some industry and switching/operations for when I get bored just watching trains run. I like this design and while not as complex as the first, provides everything that I am after.
 
I always think it's not a bad idea with industries to have a "giver" and a "receiver", even if they are only separated by a scene block, gives the rest of the layout to run the train around (several times if wished), between them.
 


This gives me my passenger operations along with some industry and switching/operations for when I get bored just watching trains run. I like this design and while not as complex as the first, provides everything that I am after.
I like it better. The previous version seemed to be almost solid track.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top