New HO scale layout

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


So here is what my sidings will look like. I can hold 11 hoppers on it. Can push 12. Which will put 3 hoppers under each bay of my loadouts. I can then push them to the sidings where the main can drop empties and pick up loaded hoppers. I think 12 car trains is a decent number for an 8x4 layout.
2df627c7e0871875df93ea71bf238121.jpg
 
8e21d100fc03374f0d1dfd80018d56f1.jpg

Working the load out. I have a really good base of operations that looks like it will work for me. It'll be another week or so before I start landscaping. I need to add some more track and I need risers for the upper mine. I'm going to add some more switches on the mainline so I can expand down the road. But until then I'm going to run my trains and just enjoy working them through the loadouts and the mainline.
 


Working the load out. I have a really good base of operations that looks like it will work for me. It'll be another week or so before I start landscaping. I need to add some more track and I need risers for the upper mine. I'm going to add some more switches on the mainline so I can expand down the road. But until then I'm going to run my trains and just enjoy working them through the loadouts and the mainline.

Cool!!
Isn't that the Walther's New River Mining facility?
How about an overhead shot.
E.
 
Cool!!
Isn't that the Walther's New River Mining facility?
How about an overhead shot.
E.
Yup its the new river mine. I'll have to add another turnout for it but it works for now. I was surprised that I was able to rebuild it. It was in pieces from my last two moves. Here's an overhead shot for you:
c0bcd170c694982c29dfa1a2c8231e6a.jpg
 
One of my new additions. Walther's gravel company. Though I haven't decided how I'm going to use it as of yet. In my little world it can be what I choose it to be. I liked it because of the conveyer system it comes with. Also it doesn't look too far off from a coal load out so to me it can go either way. As of right now its going to be my upper load out. If I go actual gravel with it it'll be my lower load out and I'll move new river to be the upper load out or get the other mining kit that's smaller.
d4b0ab38481ee69d22665f343b248bb0.jpg
 
Started installing my ground throws today on my permanent turnouts. Mostly to size them up so they fit. My idea is to use manual throws for my in reach switches and using automatic switch machines for the ones I can't reach.
ac72593ccb435fa7307b64d70a40ceb0.jpg
 
I have been waiting on my payday to get here to add more track. Found I'm have connectivity issues with my sectional track to the point that my loco's headlights are either flashing or not on at all. Not to mention my straights are curved slightly which may remedy itself or it may not. At this point I'm contemplating maybe ditching my sectional track for flex track. I haven't used flex track ever and I'm able to buy individual pieces for $3.99 at my hobby shop. Anyone have recommendations on using flex track?
 
Atlas is the most common. It's also the most flexible. I used ME code 83 for my mainline and its hard to get smooth curves. You will want to start with your roadbed and then locate turnouts before laying the flex track. You do have to pay attention to avoid kinks in the trace. Mark a centerline before you lay the roadbed.
 


Its not as mindless as butting sections together. The thing is you have to think it through as your building it to keep the alignments correct. The good news is that usually you can tweak it if you really messed up. I used sectional track for my staging loop because its at an awkward spot, its easier to get a constant curve.
 
I got 6 sections of ME flex track last year when I was completing the last part of my addition because I liked the looks of their weathered rail. I ran into the same problem trying to get smooth curves. I gave up with it and ended up using in straight sections of my yard and completed any other track work with Shinohara flex track which a good portion of my layout was built with.

I prefer the Shinohara because one rail will smoothly slide through the ties allowing flowing track work. No more ME flex track for me.
 
ME flex is expensive! I'll stick with my atlas if I go flex.

If you go with current list prices for code 83, ME is nearly a buck a stick cheaper, $6.95 for Atlas, $6.04 for ME. Atlas is much easier to work with but I like the finer detail of the Micro Engineering as well as its narrower railhead. It is most evident in photos when you stop and study the details. For running, one is probably as good as the other.
 
I used ME for the visible portion of the mainline on my layout. I had an issue with the end of one of the pieces straightening out near the middle of a curve. I had to loosen the ballast to fix the kink. I am used to atlas so I used it for the staging yard and loop.
 
Good thing about my hobby shop is code 83 atlas flex is $4.99 a piece. $3.99 for code 100. They have been a great find for me. I doubt I'll go through eBay anymore. But I am considering flex even though it seems to be a little overwhelming to me for I have never used it.
 
Don't be intimidated by flextrack. Years back when I was into N scale due to space limitations, I was introduced to flex track and never looked back. there are so many advantages.

You'll have less joints to start off with. Also, you won't be limited to "pre set" radius curves that you would have to work with using sectional track. if you have the room, you can have broad sweeping curves. If you are planning to put in a yard or sidings, you won't have to hunt around trying to find a certain length of track to make things fit. Just cut a section of flex track that you need.

Having hand laid track and using flex track, I would never consider going back to sectional track.
 
The less joints idea I like and the idea of setting a radius that works for me. The load out I have is a pain as well. None of my sections are even. Yet another reason I am thinking flex track. I'm reusing the majority of my old track in my layout now with very few new pieces added. I know I won't lose sleep at night if I went over to flex track.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top