NCE Power Pro or Digitrax Super Chief??

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


One thing I see from several Digitrax users is the recommendation to use Decoder Pro. Seems to me that Decoder Pro is a workaround used to overcome the Digitrax documentation shortcomings, for as an NCE user I've never seen a reason to set up Decoder Pro. The Pro Cab uses plain English menus to walk me through CV29's set up. I don't use speed tables. I don't modify but a handful of CVs, for which I find a good old notebook with paper to be plenty of record keeping. And if a decoder goes seriously flaky, there's the decoder recovery mode which force-overwrites all CVs with NMRA standard values. No need for Decoder Pro and a computer by my railroad.

OK. What happens when a loco loses its programming, or the decoder burns out and needs replacing? I have used and still use every brand of non-sound decoder on the market and these things do happen. BTW, all decoders come with a reset, no matter who made them. With DP and having access to a saved file of each loco's programming, its simply a matter of downloading the file back to the loco. Took me longer to type the last 3 sentences than it does to reprogram a loco with DP in either case. Unless you're never going to have more than 2-3 locos, with no special lighting like ditch lights, etc, in my mind, you really need to have DP. No CV's to memorize or new ones to look up either. Its all plain english.

If its such a "workaround to DT's documentation shortcomings", why are all the manufacturers now including ports on their systems to be able to connect to DP?

Now pardon me while I vent!

Fellows, please do stop comparing equipment from 8-15 yrs ago with the latest releases of your favorite DCC vendor. I'm sure that if I compared the latest and greatest DT system to any other system from that time period, all the other systems would come up just as "short". If you must compare, compare the equipment from the same time period.

Each current system now does what every other system does, and they are all just as easy to use! I've operated on layouts, all over the SE, and have used all brands of systems. The "geekiness" factor is dead as an arguing point.

Yes, I have and I occasionaly still use my old DT-100 and I haven't even looked at the manual in over 10 yrs. And another BTW, in case no one has noticed, the DT300, UT1, and the UT2 have been discontinued since July 2005!

Thanks for listening!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That is a valid point about comparing systems of the same time period, CJ.

As for which system to choose, I'd suggest that you look around you and see what your friends run. Most major systems on the market now are top drawer. The important issue will be if the brand you buy will be compatible with your friends on their layouts and their equipment on yours. Its very handy to have throttle compatibility! Also, if trouble shooting is ever needed, friends with like equipment can be a huge timesaver.

In our area, everyone runs (and loves) Digitrax. We have a local Digitrax dealer who is a friend and attends many of the local operating sessions. Life is good. :)
 
SNIP
Now pardon me while I vent!

Fellows, please do stop comparing equipment from 8-15 yrs ago with the latest releases of your favorite DCC vendor. I'm sure that if I compared the latest and greatest DT system to any other system from that time period, all the other systems would come up just as "short". If you must compare, compare the equipment from the same time period.

Each current system now does what every other system does, and they are all just as easy to use! I've operated on layouts, all over the SE, and have used all brands of systems. The "geekiness" factor is dead as an arguing point.

Thanks for listening!

No sir, they are not all just as easy to use! And DT continues to rein supreme in "geekiness".

PS,
Try facts instead of rants, they are more effective. :)

Joe
 


No sir, they are not all just as easy to use! And DT continues to rein supreme in "geekiness".

PS,
Try facts instead of rants, they are more effective. :)

Joe


[mod] mod hat on [/mod]

This might be a good time to remember that we are one of the friendliest forums on the web and would like to stay that way... :) Friendly disagreements during a discussion will naturally occur. Name calling (geekiness, implied that that is what a certain brand's users are) is pushing the envelope of friendly discussion. :)
 
Thank you CSX Robert and CjCrescent for saving me a lot of writing.

There have been many opinions written that are valid and some that compare apples to oranges, but when we examine all the present day's top-of-the-line manufacturers, all offer systems with different levels of operations and programming capabilities. How far you want to go with controlling your layout operations will determine which manufacturer's system matches that need the best.

If you only want to toot the whistle, turn on a light, or you are technically challenged, then go with a simple, easy to use, set. However, if you desire more complex programming of the loco's decoder and your layout will feature signals, traffic control and other advanced operations, then you will need to study the higher level systems that offer these capabilities.

Before we slam a manufacturer's product line, we need to use fair and accurate facts for comparisons; we shouldn't set judgement based on our lack of understanding or abilities nor should we use isolated problems of one, that occur with all.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
No sir, they are not all just as easy to use! And DT continues to rein supreme in "geekiness".

PS,
Try facts instead of rants, they are more effective. :)

Joe

First off I didn't rant. Read what I said. The entire post please.

Fact. If you had read the first sentence as it was meant, all I was asking for is that you compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges. What is really any easier than to hit the button marked "loco", type in your 4-digit address, and push "loco" again? Wanna blow the whistle? push the button marked "whistle". Turn the headlight on? push the button marked "light". The bells, couplers noise, etc, the same way. There are no function numbers to remember, no menus, just push the button. What's "geeky" about that?

Fact. I've seen that every argument here against DT talk about the older DT equipment versus newer NCE/Lenz/ etc. If you're gonna compare, again make it fair. At least compare what can be bought at this time.

Fact None of the DT throttles that has been mentioned in the earlier posts, has even been available in years!

Fact. I've operated on more than 50 layouts from North Carolina/Virginia to Texas the past 6 years. I've had extensive use with all of the systems, including a couple no longer made. My experiences are just as valid as yours. I'm not picking an argument but frankly the "difficulty" of using one system over another is no longer a valid argument. I believe that even the magazines stated that when they reviewed the DT400 in 2003-2004.

Again, all I'm asking is that you do a fair comparasion. I know that I'll never change your mind, I'm not trying to. Just be fair. Compare like to like.

Eric, actually, there is one gentleman here who tried NCE. His name is L.Deagon MMR. He has had his system for over 7 yrs, and last I heard, it still doesn't work. He used to use the old PSI command control, (Dynatrol), but he even had major problems with it. He parked a P2K GP-18 across a gap once and the PSI reciever melted the shell!
 
Can we do a friendly poll and list All the major DCC systems and see who uses what? Just a thought....
 
I'll tell you what, I had never used a Digitrax throttle before I went to Rex's yesterday and I had it down in about 10 minutes, including throwing DCC switches. I'm sure sold on Digitrax after that experience.
 
No sir, they are not all just as easy to use! And DT continues to rein supreme in "geekiness".

PS,
Try facts instead of rants, they are more effective. :)

Joe

"Try facts instead of rants" - I'd like to see one fact that makes the DT400 "rein supreme in 'geekiness.'"
 
Any Suggestions?

Can we do a friendly poll and list All the major DCC systems and see who uses what? Just a thought....
Now there's an idea, why not start a thread. If you want send me a PM listing the types of DDC units you want on the poll and I'll start it.

OK a question the knowledgeable now.:D For quite awhile I've put the thoughts of DCC to bed after deciding I didn't really need it. However this thread has got me going again. Since I'm generally a lonesome polecat in the train room and $$ is an object of concern, I've decided on a starter set.
The ones available to me at a decent price are MRC's Prodigy Express and NCE's Power Cab Entry Level DCC Set. The DT Zephyr is 50 to 60 $$ more and that's enough for a couple decoders

MRC Prod Exp has a 1.6 amp output and the command station is a separate unit. I'm not sure if the throttle unit has to remain plugged in while trains are running, but due to the size of the layout changing operating stations while trains were moving would be a desirable function.
NCE Pwr Cab has a 2.0 amp output but the command stn is incorporated in the hand held throttle and has to remain connected when in use, so changing operating locations is not an option without adding more throttles.
The Prodigy is $10 less than the NCE not that it is of any great concern.

The chosen unit will have to run Blue box Athearns (I'll have to check the current draw on those) and in order to run more than 2 of these clunkers I'll have to upgrade power to whatever type I'll buy and that cost would be in the same general area.
Advice Please

Cheers
Willis
 


Personally Willis, I'd have to ask you what system your buds use. That should be the number 1 consideration. As was stated earlier, use what the most people in your area uses, as you'll have a built in troubleshooting base if needed. That's why my first purchase was DT. However, I've never needed it.:D And neither has anyone else I know of around here either.

The only recommendation I will make, is to be sure to test all locos, especically if you own some early P2K passenger units. Many came with motors that draw even more current than older BB's. If the stall current is more than 1amp, the motor needs replacing. I also want to add that not all BB motors are "amp hogs". I used to own an Athearn, GP-30. That loco was so broke in it drew less amps than a can motor!
 
Now there's an idea, why not start a thread. If you want send me a PM listing the types of DDC units you want on the poll and I'll start it.

The chosen unit will have to run Blue box Athearns (I'll have to check the current draw on those) and in order to run more than 2 of these clunkers I'll have to upgrade power to whatever type I'll buy and that cost would be in the same general area.
Advice Please

Cheers
Willis

I thought it would be good idea to have such a poll...I will try to come up with a list that will show all availble sets etc...give me a day or 2 and I will send it your way. You are more than welcome to add or change it etc...


As for your BB Athearns there is really no need to upgrade the power. I run a lot of BB Athearns with DCC with no problems. Granted some of them have been through the re-build for de-burring the gears, lubrication and hardwiring.
Other than that you shouldnt feel like you have to change out the power (motors).

A side note I use the Zephyr, DT400IR, UR91 and PR3 with Decoder Pro(JMRI).
 
Considering that the DT100 has not been made in over eight years, I hardly find it to be an example of how Digitrax IS "fiddly and geeky," maybe WAS but not IS. That's like saying computers are "fiddly and geeky" and giving DOS examples to back up the argument.

They still make the DT300, which doesn't have numeric keypad digits. I think I pretty much explained myself - the philosophy that brought about the DT100 still is evident in Digitrax. The DT400 really came a long way forward. When they do a complete and succinct rewrite of all their docs, maybe I'll say "was" not "is".

In the early days of DCC 2 digit systems were common as a way of keeping system costs down, but that was before the days of the DT100 throttle. You can select a 4 digit address with the knobs on a DT100 using the left knob for the 1000's and 100's and the right knob for the 10's and 1's.

Actually, only when it's in the right mode. And when you are building a consist, you need one loco on the left knob and one on the right. If both are 4-digit addresses, the simplicity vanishes. Like I said, I worked out the exact step by step for building a consist of 4 digit addresses on a DT100, from scratch. I did it and documented it because after a year(?) or more on line, no one had responded to my challenge to document it with more than a fraction of the information - often parroted from the manual.

Andy
 
Considering that the DT100 has not been made Actually, the step-by-step guide does exist, it's on page 72 of the Chief Manual.

Thanks for the illustration of my point.

The document you reference describes the steps for linking the locomotives in consist. "select the first loco on the right throttle knob". If it's a 4-digit address, this in and of itself is multiple steps!!

The consisting procedure for the DT400 is almost exactly the same; the difference is with the 400 you can fairly easily select a 4-digit loco on either side, and see what you're doing.

The actual procedure for building a 3-unit consist from scratch on a DT100 is something like 24 steps, counting each button press or knob move. It is documented *nowhere* except in some ancient post I made on rec.models.railroad probably around 2001 or 2002.

What's revealed is that it's not consisting that's difficult on the DT100. It's selecting a 4 digit address, especially selecting two different ones on each ot the two knobs.

Andy
 
OK. What happens when a loco loses its
Fellows, please do stop comparing equipment from 8-15 yrs ago with the latest releases of your favorite DCC vendor. I'm sure that if I compared the latest and greatest DT system to any other system from that time period, all the other systems would come up just as "short". If you must compare, compare the equipment from the same time period.

Comparing Digitrax of 1997 to the Wangrow Sys-1 (NCE) of 1997 is fair. The Wangrow you can pick up and use almost on the first try. It has buttons on it like "select loco", and other 21st century inovations like the digits 0-9.

The present NCE system is largely unchanged in terms of the user interface. The key layout has changed some, the display improved a bit.

The DT400 is light years better than the DT100.

Wangrows documentation was light years better than Digitrax in 1997.

NCE's documentation is light years better than Digitrax in 2008, in large part because the Digitrax 2008 book looks like the Digitrax 1997 book with table addendums for all of the new features and new gen decoders that make them further unreadable.

Each current system now does what every other system does, and they are all just as easy to use! I've operated on layouts, all over the SE, and have used all brands of systems. The "geekiness" factor is dead as an arguing point.

Geek to me means that a system or device is difficult on purpose. I don't believe that everything has to be Fisher-Price.

The DT100 may be dead, but the guy who thought it up is still running the show. How long did it take him to provide 10 numeric digit keys? Quite a bit longer than it took Steve Jobs to provide something approaching a full keyboard.

Andy
 
In our area, everyone runs (and loves) Digitrax. We have a local Digitrax dealer who is a friend and attends many of the local operating sessions. Life is good. :)

Availability of local support and knowledge may be the most important thing of all. Cincinnati has largely been a Digitrax town, but this is changing now especially since NCE introduced an entry level system.

Andy
 
One thing I see from several Digitrax users is the recommendation to use Decoder Pro. Seems to me that Decoder Pro is a workaround used to overcome the Digitrax documentation shortcomings, for as an NCE user I've never seen a reason to set up Decoder Pro. The Pro Cab uses plain English menus to walk me through CV29's set up. I don't use speed tables. I don't modify but a handful of CVs, for which I find a good old notebook with paper to be plenty of record keeping. And if a decoder goes seriously flaky, there's the decoder recovery mode which force-overwrites all CVs with NMRA standard values. No need for Decoder Pro and a computer by my railroad.

I haven't used DecoderPro yet, but the reason I want it isn't so much to guide me through programming but to have a way to retain all my locos' decoder settings on the computer. Right now most of my decoders have pretty straight up settings and programming is very quick. But on units where I've set up speed tables, it's a slow process. I haven't spent much time on it the last couple years - when I have stuff that's mismatched I just let it grind but I did set up speed tables for some of my Mashima remotored P2K locos. The Mashima motors are pretty consistent, and I plan to keep using them (or Kato motors) to repower P2K geeps. Essentially a speed table that works for one should work for all with the same motor/gearing/decoder combo, as long as the motor is one that is consistent. So I can build a new geep, and using DecoderPro, give it the exact same settings as my last geep, including the 28 speed step settings.

Anyway, I think I could use it - I just haven't yet. My bench system is a PowerCab, and until fairly recently the USB interface was not available. I now have it (in its baggie in the drawer) and one of these late winter nights when I feel like it I'll hook it up, download DecoderPro and see what's the scoop.

Andy
 
Eric, actually, there is one gentleman here who tried NCE. His name is L.Deagon MMR. He has had his system for over 7 yrs, and last I heard, it still doesn't work. He used to use the old PSI command control, (Dynatrol), but he even had major problems with it. He parked a P2K GP-18 across a gap once and the PSI reciever melted the shell!

I'm sure there's a story there, I'd like to hear it some day from the source.

I want to mention again, I used to own a Digitrax radio Chief and had both a DT400R and DT100R throttle. I taught myself to do the basic things with it, even though I really didn't think I'd keep it for the long haul. I never did some of the more exotic things with it, but then again I haven't done anything too exotic with my NCE system. I use it to run trains. I select locomotives, build consists, run trains, and throw switches. I turn headlights off and on. And on my bench system (a separate PowerCab), I set up and program decoders. These days my new decoder installs are all NCE and TCS.

Since I may have been the first to use the word "geeky", I should clarify what I meant. To me it means needlessly or deliberately complex or obtuse. Those who can master a system in spite of these issues think of themselves as "smarter than the average bear", and they probably are. I don't know how smart I am... I haven't had an IQ test in close to 40 years. My guess is I've gotten dumber over the years, if you're talking raw processing power. But I'm quite sure I could master Digitrax. Doesn't matter if anybody believes me or not. It's just that the only reason for me to master it would be to prove something that I don't need to prove, because I have an NCE system I'm perfectly satisfied with, which I chose after more than a decade playing with both Digitrax and Wangrow (basically just an older version of the current NCE).

I'm into my second half century... life isn't forever, and I no longer believe - as I did when I was 25 - that I have unlimted brainpower, that I can learn and absorb everything just so nobody says I'm stupid. I can do anything I want, but I can't do everything I want. I decided 11 years ago I wanted DCC, that the technology had matured enough. This was after three years of watching AJ give Digitrax demos and give vague answers to specific questions. Don Wangrow handed me a paddle at the 1997 Rosemont show, and I looked at the buttons, and proceeded to build a consist on his demo layout using almost the exact same steps I had envisioned 15 years earlier, when I was told I was an idiot because 16 channel analog CC was good enough and nobody needs more than 16. It was that NCE/Wangrow system that pushed me over the hump.

I didn't want a new career or a new degree, or a new merit badge... I just wanted something I could use and go with it. I probably ended up learning more geeky stuff about DCC than I planned for, but oh well. A large number of things that you could write a 20-page article explaining can be quantified in a 1/4 page table. Good example: lights. I read all kinds of articles about how to measure current draws, voltage drops, build constant voltage power supplies.... nowhere was there a table that said just use this bulb and this resistor.

Ok here's one: for HO DCC voltage, and normal function outputs from normal decoders: Miniatronics 1.5 volt, 15ma bulbs. For one bulb, use a single 680-ohm resistor on the function side (not the common). For two bulbs in parallel, use a single 330-ohm resistor on the function side.

No 250-page book from Radio Shack on how to build power supplies, no renting an oscilloscope, you don't even need an ammeter or voltmeter. Just those bulbs and those resistors. Oh yeah, it works on Digitrax, NCE, and Lenz systems as long as you use the "HO" voltage setting. It works on NCE, TCS, Atlas, and Digitrax decoders. Probably Lenz too.

I may need to know more than that little paragraph someday in the future, but right now it's all I need. This is after decades spending money on elaborate, *geeky* lighting kits and frying light bulbs, and being talked down to by electronics wizards who can't stand the fact that *for my application* their 250-page book can be reduced to a couple sentences.

The current Digitrax decoder manual is 78 pages (PDF).

The two yellow sheets of paper that come with every NCE decoder are equivalent to about 8 of the Digitrax pages in terms of volume/size. They tell you everything you need to know about programming NCE decoders and give actual examples of setups you might actually want to create.

There is no substantial difference in terms of the feature level of these decoders. The Digitrax decoders do not have 10x more features requiring nearly 10x pages of documentation.

The Digitrax manual DOES cover every decoder they ever made, which is the crux of the problem. Rather than pages 1-10 being for decoder type 1, and 11 to 20 being decoder 2, etc, each and every table and paragraph is loaded with ifs-ands-elses. By the time the third gen was added to the tables, it became unreadable.

Nothing has ever been done to correct this. Apparently the culture of smart people who have mastered Digitrax in spite of this convoluted mess of documentation have vindicated its author(s). One only need be smart enough, and it's not a problem.

That's what I mean by "geeky".

Andy
 


The DT400 was first available in 2001 and quickly became the standard Digitrax throttle. After that time, you would not get a DT300 unless you specifically wanted it(and the DT300 is vastly superior to the DT100). They only kept it available as long as they did for people who wanted a smaller form factor full function throttle(I don't think any other manufacturer has made a full function throttle that was as compact as the DT300). It was finally discontinued as of 10-07-05.

Yes, the DT100 has to be in the right mode to select 4 digit addresses, but you made it sound like it coudn't select 4 digit addresses at all(you refered to one of the DT100's three main flaws as "lack of 4-digit selection by knob") and I was pointing out that you can.

I never said there was anything simple about building a consist of 4 digit addresses on the DT100, I simply pointed out that the step-by-step is there in the manual and it is(no, they didn't repeat the steps of selecting a 4 digit, but that would have been a little redundant since it is in the same manual just a few pages before).

The "philosophy" that brought about the DT100 had less to do with being "fiddly and geeky," but more with trying to keep costs down, as an example - using a readily available LCD that only had 2 numeric digits, a colon, and 2 more numeric digits instead of a custom one like they used in the DT300 and DT400(this is part of what makes building a consist of 4 digit addresses so difficult on a DT100). The manual for the DT400 is alot easier to follow than the one for the DT100, because the DT400 is alot easier to use the DT100.

If Digitrax did not have anything better than the DT100 available today, I probably would not have chosen Digitrax(I can say for certain, because Loconet does add a lot of functionality that I plan on using), but Digitrax is way beyond that now.

Comparing the 78 page Digitrax decoder manual with the 8 pages of information that comes with an NCE decoder is a little misleading. The Digitrax decoder manual includes additional information on the LT1 decoder tester, the PR1 programmer, selecting a decoder, information on the different programming modes, a trouble shooting section, and setting up a layout for transponding. Digitrax does give you actual examples of setups you might actually want to create, but they also give you a lot of additional information. As an example, the information included with an NCE decoder has a chart of the 8 most common values for CV29 and says add one to reverse the direction of travel. The Digitrax decoder manual explains CV29(what are the different addressing modes, what are speed steps, what is analog conversion) and gives a chart listing all 32 allowed values for CV29 and what each one means. The Digitrax manual also covers Bemf compensation and driving an AC motor, two things not available on NCE decoders.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top