Easy now
"Try facts instead of rants" - I'd like to see one fact that makes the DT400 "rein supreme in 'geekiness.'"
You said DT400, I said DT (Digitrax). Actually, when I made the
"GEEKINESS" comment, it was intended as a compliment. From what I can see and read, DT has the most sophisticated set of 'neat toys' like signaling, transponding and it is (or was the last time I looked) the only DCC system that supports the RPS (model railroad GPS) systems. Nor, did I intend to infer 'geekiness' to any one person, but about the technology. If someone has their personal identity wrapped around a product, well, that is unfortunate. Although, it has been my experience that many DT owners are a mite passionate. (But then, hey, I'm still a Chevy guy even with the sorry state of affairs in Detroit.)
And no one can just assert to me that all systems are equally easy to use. That is just not true. Ease of use is a personal thing, something I guess I supposed everyone agreed to.
Personally I find my NCE PROCAB R harder to use than my Lenz Set 100. How can that be, you say, well the Function keys are easier to use on the Set 100, just try to figure out if function 8 or 12 is set on or off in Radio mode. I like to never have figured out how power sequencing worked. (I learned these things in lone wolf mode, not in a club somewhere. It was hard for me to figure out some of these things from the manual.) And there is no provision for EPO like the Lenz. EPO = Emergency Power Off.
And I find the NCE PROCAB to be much easier to use than the full functioned DT400R radio, the one you have to plug in to recapture your loco when it runs away from you, which has happened to me 5 of the 6 times I've run with DT on different layouts. Then there are the ergonomics. I personally don't like knobs for throttles, it has two dinky ones and the small buttons are a pain to use. Just my opinion, mind you.
So, why did I keep my ProCab Radio? Three reasons:
1 - The computer interface is more compatible with my CTI system than the latest version of the Lenz code. To keep the Lenz, I would have had to down grade my system which did not make any sense to me.
2 - I like a radio throttle, with the Lenz, I had 5 tethered ones on my layout, with the NCE, I only use one. (I have a second when a friend comes over to run, otherwise I don't need the second one.)
3 - With the Lenz if you want Radio, it means either cordless phones, not my up of java, or CVP.
I found the latest and greatest CVP, the T9000E, to be the most contrary and difficult throttle I've ever used. Here are the reasons (facts):
1 - While range was fine, I could never remember all key sequences to do things with out carrying around the book.
2 - The insta reverse button on the rotary knob was a pain in the neck.
3 - As I mentioned before, I did not like knobs anyway and that one was simply awful, it also had this free wheeling (no pot limits) 'feature' that bugged the dickens out of me whenever I changed locos.
If you have red this far, you might have noticed that I have non-trivial issues with all of them, for one reason or another. None of them is perfect, each their own idiosyncrasies. Of the three systems I've used, I rate them this way on a 1 is awful and 10 is perfect scale:
Lenz 8
NCE 8
Digitrax 6
CVP 5
If or when Lenz offers a fully integrated Radio throttle, simplex or duplex, I'll probably revert back. Lenz service and German quality is awesome.
I think I'll run some trains before trundling off to bed!