Jerome's Switcher Roster

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one of those 25 tonners. They're nice, but have a race car attitude. You really need a repower if you're going to use one actively.
 


Karl, Rather than just a cabless Hustler, why not make it a remote control unit? ;)

Remote control would take it to a newer era than I model. With its regular running mate, they will be just perfect for street running with the "traction" side of what I have planned. Together they can shuttle cars between the yard and city businesses, dodging trolley traffic as they go.
Both have been remotored with cans, and just creep along when needed.
 
Here's the boxcab with decals. It's labeled for the Omaha Western.

100_4507.jpg

Hey Wheeler, :)

Wow... what a neat job you did! :eek:

Walden Hobbies/Flying Scotsman had those little Grandt 23 ton boxcabs for $40 so I picked one up but haven't started it yet. Do you have any assembly tips or things to watch out for? Any help you could offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Wheeler, :)

Wow... what a neat job you did! :eek:

Walden Hobbies/Flying Scotsman had those little Grandt 23 ton boxcabs for $40 so I picked one up but haven't started it yet. Do you have any assembly tips or things to watch out for? Any help you could offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg, make sure you have a really flat surface when you put the 4 walls together, test fit everything twice!!! The roof takes a bit of tweaking to get it on right.
 
Thanks for the tips... especially the test fitting. :)

My work surface is a half inch thick piece of plate glass, so I'll make sure to true up the pieces real good. Can you recommend a good glue? On the old non precise plastic buildings I've just been using anything that hapens to be around, but on this high precision kit I want it to be just right. Oh, and how does it run? Looking at all those teeny tiny parts is quite intimidating. :eek:

Your beautifully built and painted boxcab is a real inspiration! :)


Greg
 
Thanks for the tips... especially the test fitting. :)

My work surface is a half inch thick piece of plate glass, so I'll make sure to true up the pieces real good. Can you recommend a good glue? On the old non precise plastic buildings I've just been using anything that hapens to be around, but on this high precision kit I want it to be just right. Oh, and how does it run? Looking at all those teeny tiny parts is quite intimidating. :eek:

Your beautifully built and painted boxcab is a real inspiration! :)


Greg

Greg, I use Gorilla Super Glue (Wal-Mart), I have a dummy unit, it's just for decoration, not a runner.
 


Jerome, here is a couple pics of the 1503 on a coal drag at CP Hays. The blue really stands out with all of the Reading Green & Yellow on my units. Had a blast building it and now even more so running it on the layout. I will keep my eyes open now for an SW1000 to make one of your brown and black units. Thanks again, Rich.
 
Jerome, here is a couple pics of the 1503 on a coal drag at CP Hays. The blue really stands out with all of the Reading Green & Yellow on my units. Had a blast building it and now even more so running it on the layout. I will keep my eyes open now for an SW1000 to make one of your brown and black units. Thanks again, Rich.

Rich, I don't have any brown and black units. Maroon and black maybe??

100_4513.jpg
 
Thanks Jerome, I have a couple of bottles of that around and hopefully will find a candidate for a paint job. Rich
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top