ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
well i've got 5 of the little critters in the works this week. I'll have pictures sometime this weekend . And on a side note, Luke, come to the dark side!!! LOL
no no no...I was implying ....back to the regularly scheduled programing...didnt wanna hi-jack this thread....It belongs to Mr. Switcheroo...noting but his switchers and man they are awesome!
I know It's jerome room but the evil HO empire threatened and I had to defend the good that is the N scale republic from the likes.........Sorry Jerome but,Psssst.......I still win
Now jerome when are you going to the "N"ice scale! and learn to be a N scale jedi knight like me and build N scale stuff!
Jerome, that MRS unit is a beauty. At least you never have to worry about putting dullcote on or weathering it. MRS is the only railroad I know that regularly washes and waxes their locomotives. I fear that will all change now that InBev has bought out Anheuser-Busch though.
MRS is a wholly-owned subsidiary, but is autonomous. I chatted with the general manager several years ago, and he told me they sank or swam depending on business, with no help or hindrance from the Home Office. So, unless or until their common-carrier status changes, they will probably continue as they are.
Larry, that is a nice paint scheme It's diffrent and pretty! On the note of washing and waxing equipment........I can't understand why All Railroads don't take better care of at least the locomotives! I've seen 15 year old County school buses that were better taken care of (washing and waxing) than the railroads High $$ locomotives! Heck I have to wash and wax my county mowers, tractors, and assorted equipment on rainy days.
Terry, as for the wild paint jobs. If and when I finish my Current 1940's Trinity Railway Company layout.....My next one (Present time T Ry.) will feature wild paint jobs I'm thinking one locomotive to have racing strips ala nascar or NHRA and may be a animal print theme's on a few loco's Hmmmmm
Larry, that's one of the nicer looking Bicentennial schemes I've seen. You and Jerome did good.
Chris, there's no profit to made in washing and waxing engines. They run just as well dirty as they do clean. The only time they get any attention is if there a rust or corrosion problem starting. At one time, railroads had this crazy idea that clean trains gave the company a good image and favorably influenced shippers. The Super Chief got a complete wash job on both ends of the run. If the weather was unusually bad and there was time in the schedule, they'd even run the train through the wash racks at Barstow so the train looked good coming into LA. Shippers used to ride these trains so railroads wanted to show them how well they got treated, just like their merchandise. Now, there are no more shippers and they certainly don't ride Amtrak. All the traffic is either double stacks from China or coal. Those shippers could care less about how the train looks as long as it gets there on time and doesn't derail. Railroads won't even spend the money on security to make sure their cars aren't covered with grafitti. Cleanliness of the equipment is about last on the list.
Chris, Years ago when I had a large crew at the City of Miami Parks & Recreation dept. we would wash & wax all of the yard equipment every friday. This was about 15 lawnmowers, tractors, batwing mowers & hammerknife mowers. Even the edgers & weed whackers. Then I would give the guys the rest of the day off, but they had to stay close by to get a ride back to the City Garage. LOL
When I drove a School Bus here in Desoto County we had to wash & wax our own bus every month. I would find high school volunteers to help & then buy their lunch at the local pizza buffet.
It's still a shame that the locomotives here have to rusting to death before any attention would be done? You got to admit a freshly painted and shoped out locomotive looks out standing and sharp! Well thankfully my Railway spends the little extra to clean the locomotives every two weeks!
Now the reason we wash our Landscape equipment after every use is cause it forces you to put your hands on every part of the unit forcing you to have a hands on inspection for undue damage and wear. 98% of the time we find little errors that can quickly be fixed which prevents costly down time down the road. a Dirty mower mows as well as a clean one.....But a clean one see the inside of a repair shop less often! you would think the same would apply to larger capital equipment like locomotives? O'well life goes on!
If you are refering to the MP15DC's then they run great. One of the quitest locomotives I have. They dont weigh much so dont expect to pull 40 cars with it but the slow speed range is very good for them.