Jerome's Switcher Roster

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris, It has a radiator in the rear of the cab, why would I need one on the roof also?

Most of the time the original Radiator was to small for proper cooling durring extended running & heavy use and the shops would replace the small radiaror for a larger one! which they put on the roof! Being yours has been around fer a while you will have to factor in you shops replacing the old four banger fer a six cylinder motor to replace the older one thus requiring a larger radiator;)! But mostly the radiator on the roof dresses up the roof detail!:D:D
 
Most of the time the original Radiator was to small for proper cooling durring extended running & heavy use and the shops would replace the small radiaror for a larger one! which they put on the roof! Being yours has been around fer a while you will have to factor in you shops replacing the old four banger fer a six cylinder motor to replace the older one thus requiring a larger radiator;)! But mostly the radiator on the roof dresses up the roof detail!:D:D

Chris, you'll have to send me a picture of one to see what you've got in mind. Also, a stock number of one would be good too.
 
Finished decaling another SW1500 tonight. This one is for the Genesee & Wyoming.

100_4509.jpg
 


Chris, you'll have to send me a picture of one to see what you've got in mind. Also, a stock number of one would be good too.

Long Island 403a and 403b had a box style radiator. http://home.att.net/~Berliner-Ultrasonics/boxcabs1.html


3/4th's of the way down this page is a great shot of a over sized Home made Radiator and roof details http://home.att.net/~Berliner-Ultrasonics/boxcab1a.html

The PRR 3906-8 http://home.att.net/~Berliner-Ultrasonics/boxcbprr.html has yet a nother type of roof detail! the air tanks were Straped to the sides and a huge radiator put in also It looks like in the back of the locomotive where your radiator is they used that area for the Transmissions radiator! The PRR units are one of the strangest I've seen!

Like I said box cabs were uninque from one to another and the longer they lived the stranger looking they got kinda like people!LOL's Your unit seemed to avoid the scrap heap so load the unit down with tons of mods! The way you got it is the way it would have came out the factory door in 1910 and the chance of it staying that way 0%! Like I said Make a large radiator slap it on the roof add a couple of windows where the old radiator would have been so the engineer can operate it from both ends and some more vents around the cab walls to help cool the inside of that oven down.......also add poling pockets to add some age to it! Sorry for taking over your project.....I need to get a job so I can start a new box cab!

As for where to get one pre-made? Your going to have do like the real RR shops did and make one! but you don't have to follow any set type as for thr RR's didn't either.

This sight has some great photos, you just have to sift through them page for page!:rolleyes::D
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jerome, a question fer ye: Where can I get truck sideframes like the ones on your B&P units, for a bluebox Athearn SW1500? I couldn't locate any on the Athearn online catalog...
 
Ken, I think you'll have to call and ask. I think one of the switcher sideframes they list is a flexicoil but they don't list as such. Maybe Jerome knows the right part already.
 


but Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke you are my son.................you must come to the darkside! You much to learn my Jedi Grasshopper!
 
Ahhhhhhh Yup! We clubed Jerome, Like a fur trader clubing a baby seal through him in a bag and hyjacked his thread! Muuuuuuuhahahahahaha!


It's Between you and Me Lord HO Vador, I will not fall like my father before me! I'm and N Scale Jedi Knight and will fight you until the end! Hehehehehehehehe...
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top