Boilerbuster
Member
BB's work good as weights as well.
Thank you, do you have any digital photos of this setup?Your turnout control can be done with double pole double throw slide switches. The little black plastic nub that you slide the switch with can be drilled to accept hard wire that attaches to the turnout throw tie. the slide switch is installed in the surface of your layout right next to or close to the turn out. This provides you with power routing for the frog and signal control, plus its easy to move the turnout with just a stab of your finger instead of trying get your finger nail under the turnout throw. If you have DCC, you are following your train around the layout anyways and work the turnouts.
Your stating I can use any SPST switch, to control the Atlas 150-66 switch?SPST push buttons to operate the turnouts, Atlas snap relays which can be mounted under the table to power the frogs and indicators.
Not a SPST switch. A SPST push-button. All you need is a momentary contact. When it's all wired correctly a push of the button will snap the switch machine to the desired track and at the same time snap the snap relay to power the frog + or - as needed.Your stating I can use any SPST switch, to control the Atlas 150-66 switch?
Not a SPST switch. A SPST push-button. All you need is a momentary contact. When it's all wired correctly a push of the button will snap the switch machine to the desired track and at the same time snap the snap relay to power the frog + or - as needed.
Without the scale, this test was just to prove that weight would help stop the derailments; which it did. What I never planned on, was needing a helper engine to get the test car UP the "Torsney-Pass" GRADE!!Wow, six ounces is a little much. The steel weights are a good idea and having a scale will let you get to just about the right car weights. I guess I should look into one of those since I'm sure my cars range from way too heavy to way too light.
Sounds like you have your wiring planned out pretty good. I didn't even think about what type I would use until after the track was set in.A sp/"S"t switch is a basic on/off switch. For a turnout you need A sp/"D"t configuration. The "D" in place of the "S" stands for DOUBLE throw (two choices). Because it's a solenoid were are switching, between two (double throw) choices, we only need "momentary" contact. In addition, we need an "off" position. The technical phrase for this combination, is SP/DT MOMENTARY w/ CENTER OFF switch.
I found these switches Online for a very good price. The web-site's minimum order is $15.00, so I had to order 30; for $.51 each, who's complaining?
Because the "center-off" position of the switch is the "default" position. You will need means, other that the switch's physical position, to know which track is selected; I will accomplish this with a red AND green LED. I found a new style LED, one that changes color between red and green. At each turn-out location on my control board, I will position one switch and one LED. The single LED will show red for branch or spur tracks and green for the main line.
http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=5009+SW
I built this layout 8 years ago. Today, at age 60, I have more patience than I ever had at age 52. Now the REAL fun starts, "tweaking" all the little things that I couldn't see years ago. After three week of working on it again, I corrected ALL the derailments associated with trackage and BASIC construction. Thanks to the valuable information obtained at this forum, I now have corrected ALL the derailments associated with "rolling-stock."Sounds like you have your wiring planned out pretty good. I didn't even think about what type I would use until after the track was set in.
Quality pays. When derailments, not associated with the mind, started showing again, it was ALWAYS the older Athearn box cars that I added the weight to. The factory trucks apparently didn't like the extra weight. The mount on the plastic frame for these trucks has a lip. When the mounting screw hits this lip it stops, creating A LOT of play. With the extra NMRA weight, at higher speeds on corners, the cars would derail.............ALL the derailments associated with "rolling-stock."
I bend a lot of the nails with my hammer and punch. Does anyone use a "self-centering" nail set? If so could you supply the make and model number of it?
I had a similar tool, this plywood is too hard, I could never push the nail in. I was thinking of drilling a hole as Duke 94 suggested, but my pin vice will not hold a drill that small.This is what you need: http://www.micromark.com/3-PIECE-TRACKLAYING-TOOL-SET-WITH-CANVAS-POUCH,9200.html. Good election of top quality tools for track layoing or just get the spike insertion pliers if you already have a good rail nipper and spike remover. Great pliers and makes driving a spike home straight dead easy every time.
Thank you for the price spread on the engine, that's the kind of information I was hoping to get. If I can ever get past Ebay's, error FP001, I might find out what I can get for it.BN, why are you putting spikes into plywood? They should be going into some kind of roadbed material, like cork or foam. Those spike were not engineered to stand up to being driven into plywood. If you have to drive nails into plywood. the Stanly nail set and some small finishing brads should work. If you're laying track right on plywood, I'd use latex caulk rather than try to nail it.
The undecorated SW-1500 is worth somewhere between $25 to $40, depending on how bad someone wants the undecorated version. The model itself is very common and Athearn produced tons of them so they will never have any collectors value, if that's what you're asking.
