Flo's Place (a.k.a. Coffee Shop #19)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning!

It's another cool day in Colorado. We actually had snow yesterday in Denver. 2 flakes....but still snow!

Jim...I kind of liked the 49ers. Many years ago, Montana threw an incredible pass into the end zone to...someone. I cannot remember his name, but the catch made the front cover of several magazine and front page of all the papers. Do you know which catch I am talking about? I think it was during the playoffs. Do you remember the receiver's name. If it helps, he was a HOTTIE! Drats! I just can't remember! (I realize Montana threw about a zillion of those passes, but this one was huge!)

Ken...The altitude does play a part in sports here. I remember seeing one of the Cincinnati Reds, I believe it was John Kruk, during a game I went to, hitting a home run and barely making it home. He sat in the dugout with oxygen for some time. Of course, Kruk was not a stunning example of athletic prowess :rolleyes:
I went to a Michael Baryshnikov (sp) performance in Denver several years ago and I was sitting kind of to the side which gave me a good view of off stage. Each time he would exit, he would do a hit of O2. Ahhhh....Colorado air!

When the Rockies first started in Denver, so many folks would whine about the ball carrying farther at Mile Hi Stadium and then Coors Field. They said it gave an unfair advantage to the Rockies. I suppose they never realized that THEIR team was playing with the same advantage at Coors. Oh bother.


Darn it! Still cannot think of that 49er! He was truly lovely, too. Shoot!


Have a great day!
Sandy :)
 
I cheated....

"In a game where the lead shifted back and forth repeatedly, the 49ers took over the ball at their own 11-yard line trailing 27-21. San Francisco marched down to the Dallas 6-yard line, where they faced third down and three with 58 seconds left on the clock. When Joe Montana took the snap, the play, known as Sprint Right Option, was intended to be a pass to wide receiver Freddie Solomon; earlier in the game, Solomon scored a touchdown on that exact play.[1] However, the Cowboys covered Solomon perfectly. Making matters worse, the pass rush of the Cowboys collapsed the 49ers offensive line. Two of the Cowboys defensive ends Ed "Too Tall" Jones and Larry Bethea, plus linebacker D. D. Lewis chased a backpedaling Montana toward the sideline, and seemed certain to either send him out of bounds or sack him. But at the last moment, and after pump-faking to get 6-foot 9-inch "Too Tall" Jones to jump up prematurely, Montana threw a high pass to the back of the end zone which seemed destined to sail out of bounds until 49ers receiver Dwight Clark made a leaping grab with his fingertips for the winning touchdown with 51 seconds left in the game. Clark finished the game with 8 catches for 120 yards and 2 touchdowns"
 
Boy Tom, that brings back memories. I remember scouts. I was only one or two merit badges away from Eagle scout (and the eagle project of course) when I lost interest. I'd held every office, I was Brownsea trained and Order Of The Arrow. Wish I'd have finished it now........
 


Good mid morning:)

had a busy one in the last little bit--I have work and evening classes this year so here I be mornings--and be dang lucky to get on in the evening:eek::)

Boy, the discussion about scouting brings back memories--got to go to 3 big jambories and camping all over the place---one troop I was in even did the winter camping thing:eek: I've still managed to keep most of the pix from then for pete sake!:eek:;)

I get to go out of town to check on a couple of clients---and in the meantime get to check if a certain LHS still exists--and potentially buy stuff like railings for my trestle/bridge----heeheehee:D:D:eek:

So, have a good one people---:):):)
 
My internet connection is pulling it's tricks again. The service in this area went out for a few hours the other night and since then the speeds have been fluctuating wildly. Download speed is pretty much OK but the upload speed and the speed at which pages are displayed is inordinately slow at times. This is a problem that goes back several years and they haven't fixed it yet! When a problem is called in a tech comes out, locates a problem and does a quick patch job on it and calls it in as fixed. After this has occurred several dozen times they come out and replace the faulty component. Then the cycle repeats with the next component in line. This cable system out here has more bugs than a bait store! And it's little wonder. When SuddenLink (then Cebridge Connections) came in they took over an already antiquated cable system that was doing good to carry the load it had which was just cable TV. Instead of replacing the cable which was already experiencing problems due to it's age they simply upgraded it to digital (that's almost a whole year I'd rather not remember). When they connected in their booster boxes they did it with fiber optics. Now that's copper to fiber optic back to copper until the next box. Where's the sense in that? Either the entire system is fiber optic or none of it is. Transmitting through a copper cable the signal is limited in speed to that allowed by the copper, which is far slower than that of fiber optics. Then they stacked on internet and things got worse and now they've added phone service. All this being carried by a cable that was put up in the mid 80's to carry nothing more than cable TV.

On the layout front there's not been much progress.
 
Well, it's lunch time and I've made my way back into the house from one of my hiding places. Looks like I will get hooked into painting one of the rooms for the better half this afternoon. Lord, I hate interior painting. Trim this out, paint around that, slow down or you'll spray paint from the roller all over the place...... Work around furniture that has no where else to go but the middle of the room or is so large that you just move it away from the wall. I can tell already that the back is gonna be talkin' to me for the couple of days. I cans see Lortab, Vicodin, and Flexeril in my diet for the next few days. I have a degenerative back disease that makes everyday a challenge. All days are painful, but occasionally, I do get one or two that are better than others. I guess I'm paying the debt of the the total lack of taking care of my body in my youth. Golden years they call them? Well, let me tell you, that there is a lot of rust involved too.

I didn't get the decal work done. I worked on building another router table. I've been meaning to get that project done for about 6-months now. The router is a brand new Sears and I would leave the other table set up for a permanent operation. It's a old one and very hard to change set ups. The one I am reworking is a really nice one. The table is cast and the plan I got online seems much more suited to changing setups. And the height is a bit lower, too low in fact. So, the need for me to build a new cabinet for the table.

I'm hoping to get started on the low-dough layout today, though the painting chore may limit what I get done. I need to build (8)modules/tables. But, I have given though to building just (2)4x8 tables and just laying the (8)modules into the frame. I'll probably build a couple of prototypes and decide which I like best. I've got plenty of wood to work with.

I got to thinking, while laying in bed last night. I think I'll winterize Tom's plumbing at his house. I may need to do a bit of plumbing, one to install a low point for a drain, and the other thing would be to add a fixture to be able to connect an air compressor at a high point. That way I can "blow" all of the water out of the lines. Even just adding a system drain would be a positive thing to do. Who knows when it will sell. And if it has to sit through the winter, I'd have to replace busted plumbing lines. I don't think that the kids will want a gas bill to deal with to keep things warm. There is a whole house shutoff in the basement, so I won't have to call the city to shut off the water. Though I have a street key and can do that myself. The city frowns on that unless you are a certified plumbing contractor. Adding a house drain should take all of an hour. One of the benefits of PVC. Measure, cut, glue.

Well, lunch is served. Later.

Bob
 
Sandy, you've got it right. To us 49'ers faithful, it has always been known as simply "The Catch". It was a thing of beauty back when the Niners were the unbeatable team of the NFL. That was a long time ago. Not that I would know, but both Joe and Dwight Clark were considered HOTTIES in their day. As I recall, my late wife used to watch the Niners games specifically to keep an eye on their butts. ;) Joe Montana, Steve Young, and Bret Farve are and were the last of their breed - guys who just loved to play football. The downside is they never knew when their time was over. Joe Montana's last season at KC was a disaster. Steve Young spent most of his last season unconscious from concusions and now is developing epilepsy from all the head injuries. Farve, who seems to have a cast iron head, is still at it after 17 years, and I think will play forever if someone will hire him. Elway was smart enough to get his one Super Bowl and then go back to selling cars.

Phillip, I was a Life Scout and three merit badges away from Eagle when I discovered...GIRLS. That was the end of my scouting days. :(

Jeffrey, we are much more high-tech than you. All our cable is fiber optic. It is literally strung through the woods, stapled to trees, all the way from here to Atlanta. :eek: Apparently no one told Charter that part of the reason for fiber optic is to bury it. Now, we can have a tree go down five counties away and lose service for hours and even days. I wonder if business practices like this have anything to do with the fact the Charter is bankrupt...ya think? :D

Nice and quiet and dry so far today. No rain anywhere in Alabama, and we have a thick deck of low clouds that's keeping it cool and inhibiting thunderstorms development. If these clouds break up in the next hour or so, all that will change but, so far, so good.
 
Just stopped by for a quick cup of joe while taking a break from the chores today.

Got my basement as far as I can get it until I unload some old junk. But I do have a nice area to do my layout. Here's a couple of pics of my free plywood and how I might do the bench work...

Well, back to work for me, got to try and finish closing my pool now...:D
 
Bob I feel fer ya but can't quite reach ya. Glendia has me painting a bedroom today and one wall will be sage green with the other three tan/beige/light brown or whatever it is called. Of course I cannot blame her for the two tone for I love to mix colors like this. Our bedroom is Mauve one wall with three walls a very light tan, Living room one wall medium dark blue with three walls tan to almost a light yellow. The blue matches our vertical blind I installed when I had my blind business(Larry's Blinds, for blinds of all kinds). We have blinds in our whole house from said business and so do both of our daughters. The girls because the price was right as ole dad took good care of them. Well better get back to the bedroom as the sage wall needs a second coat.
 


Wow, all this talk of painting and I'm part of it too. I got the ball rolling on painting & caulking all the exterior windows and trim (the house is brick and aluminiumiumiumium siding.) and boy, I've got pain too! Right in my rear quarter! See, I called my favorite contractor today! :eek::D
See,,,I don't do ladders. no ladders over 4 ft. No not me. Not any more.
Falling off a roof will cure you of ever going up a ladder again.:eek:
 
Jeffrey, we are much more high-tech than you. All our cable is fiber optic. It is literally strung through the woods, stapled to trees, all the way from here to Atlanta. :eek: Apparently no one told Charter that part of the reason for fiber optic is to bury it. Now, we can have a tree go down five counties away and lose service for hours and even days. I wonder if business practices like this have anything to do with the fact the Charter is bankrupt...ya think? :D
Probably from keeping up with all those repairs to the shoddy cable stringing job.
 
:D
See,,,I don't do ladders. no ladders over 4 ft. No not me. Not any more.
Falling off a roof will cure you of ever going up a ladder again.:eek:
AMEN BROTHER! You'll get no argument from me. Been there and done that. Only mine was from a second floor outdoor stair landing in 1970. I landed on my feet on a grassy slope of 35 degrees. That's all that kept me from breaking my legs. It did compact the cartilage in my ankles though and I sprained one of my Achilles tendons. I've had a very healthy respect (and very real fear) of heights since that time.
 
Well I gotsed the second coat of sage done and then went ahead and painted the tan. I is done painting until Glendia decides to strip the wall paper in the one room we still have wallpapered. The only problem with the last room is it is a bathroom. I hates painting bathrooms wid a passion. The only thing worse than painting a bath is wallpapering a bathroom. It is a wonder we is still married after we got finished wallpapering every room in this house when we owned a wallpaper store. We closed the store in May of 2000 and I do not miss it one iota. I enjoyed it but it was not a money making proposition. The only part that made any money was the window blind part of the business and I kept that until 2007. The only advertising we did was word of mouth and some business cards. I stopped doing blinds when I was not making enough money to cover my liability insurance. I really enjoyed the blind business and went to several installation seminars in West Lafayette, IN. at Lafayette Venetian Blind Co. They were a great company to work with and provided the best service I could have asked for. My delivery day was Thurs. afternoon and if I place my order by noon Tuesday I had the blinds on Wednesday if they had the material to make them. In 12 years they only ran of of material once for any of my orders and they called and apologized for that one.
 
Last edited:
"Elway was smart enough to get his one Super Bowl and then go back to selling cars."

Jim....before other folks here in Colorado find out about this...Elway won TWO Super Bowls :) Back to back, THEN he retired. Just want to keep you safe in case you pass through Denver :p Met Elway his rookie year. Nice guy. Had him sign a couple of Sports Illustrated mags with his photo on the cover. Haven't checked the value since he made the HOF. Guess I should check.
And thanks for mentioning Steve Young. Oh man! I had almost forgotten about him. He was stunning! ;) In the 80's one of the Broncos was my insurance agent. He got into it during a strike. He was a hoot and just the nicest guy. We kept in touch over the years. Ron Egloff....was a tight end #85. He was lovely, too :D All time hottie...Bob Swenson, inside linebacker during the Orange Crush years. Yowsah!

Anyhoo...Why DID I stop watching football???
 
My son’s troop camps every month from September to June. This weekend we are heading to Camp Conewago which is in New Oxford, PA near Gettysburg. They will be working on the Gettysburg Heritage Trail program. The program is divided into five hikes. They get a piece of the patch for each hike. When they complete all five they get a medal.

Next month they are going to Camp Citta in Barnegat, NJ. November is Camp Delmont which is the Musser Scout Reservation in Pennsburg. December is French Creek State Park, January is Winter Survival. February is Camp Rodney in Maryland. March will be Antietam. April is Hawk Mountain; May is a canoeing trip with the location to be announced. They end the year with a trip to Battleship Cove near Boston. We are going to be quite busy.
 
Hello

Got home just a few minutes ago from university---:eek: Thank goodness that it is only for a certain period of time! The opportunity to upgrade my own education came forwards and I took it---someone else is paying for it---heeheehee:D

Jim You mention in the photo thread the Green and White cars--does anyone still use that odd duck colour combo? I know that up here the OPP are going back/have gone back to Black/White and apparently our London ON police are going to do the same eventually----I do not recall anyone using green/White up here--:confused:

Jeff London ON is mostly done up with fibre optic and they STILL managed to snafu the dang thing--last year a crater, caused by a broken ancient watermain, formed in the middle of the busiest intersection in the downtown core and it ended up taking out the entire network--it ended up taking about 2 weeks before they could use that network again! Meanwhile we ended up using the ancient DSL that we still had--with all ITS issues:mad: Technology is so wonderful-----NOT:mad:

Have a good one--:D
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sandy, I forgot about that second Super Bowl because I was so shocked by the first one. :) At least he got out at the top and I'm sure is selling at least a few cars nowadays.

Barry, the green/white color combination is kind of a western thing. It's common the west coast and over to Nevada and Arizona but peters out after that. The strangest ones are up in the Northeast, where some police departments use red or maroon. Looks really weird to see a red police car. Many departments are switching to black and white because of a study done several years ago by the International Association of Police Chiefs. They used four different cities in different parts of the country that didn't use black and white and surveyed citizens on how often they saw a police car, which meant, how good was the police service. They then had all the cars repainted black and white and waited six months. There were no more cars on the streets and no new officers were hired. They surveyed the citizens again and, in every city, the respondants report seeing between 25% and 40% more cars on the street. I think we are conditioned that black and white means police car and the first thing we do is check our speedometers. All the other color schemes, including the ones with fancy graphics, could be a cab to many people. The low profile, clear light bars have made this even worse since you don't see it until you are right on top of it. I suspect that a large percentage of agencies will go to black and white over the next several years because the citizens think there are more cars on the streets at no cost to the department but a paint job.

No rain here today and it looks like some drier air for the next few days so Alabama should get a chance to dry out some before we get another storm system this weekend.
 
Does the Jawja State Police still drive those butt-ugly blue and orange things? The prettiest police cars I can remember seeing is Indiana's old white SP cars. These new black things just don't cut it.

Well, the painting project grew, an grew, and grew.. and..... I guess I did such a good job on the first room that now she wants to paint EVERY room. Mebbe if I dump a gallon of paint she'll fire me.

Ladders don't bother me....as long sas I have my feet on on. It's when I'm SUPPOSED to be on the rungs and I'm not that bothers me. Something about gravity and weighing 200#...... And it's not the fall that hurts. It's that sudden stop when you run out of air.

I fell off of our roof earlier this year. Fractured a couple of vertebrae, dislocated my shoulder(for like the 100th time), and gave myself a concussion. Other than that I was fine. Took me a minute to catch my breath. By that time the whole neighborhood was gathered around. Went to the hospital and was admitted for two days. I'm in so much pain with my other back problems, I didn't know that I broke my back. I did know the shoulder was separated, been there before.

Well, bedtime(again). Had to get a drink of juice,. I woke up with a Sahara Mouth.

Bob
 


Good morning folks

It was 69 F and humid this morning. High will be 82 F. A little blast of summer to start the Fall. We had to put the a/c on last night to get the humidity out of the house.

Not much happened last night. Flute lesson for my daughter. With the way my foot is hurting I am not able or feel like doing much. I am waiting for the medication to kick-in. Last time it took about two or three days to knock the pain down. Of course the foot starts acting up right before my son’s first camping trip with his Boy Scout Troop. They are going to Gettysburg to work on the Gettysburg Historic Trails patch which means hiking. I don’t think I’ll be doing much. I guess I drive the rolling relief station.

Tonight is one of those need to be in three places at once nights. We just found out that my kids have Back to School Night. We also have Cub Scouts den meetings and we expect several new scouts to be signing up so I need to be there.

It looks like trains are out for the next few days.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top