Flo's Place (a.k.a. Coffee Shop #19)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff London ON is mostly done up with fibre optic and they STILL managed to snafu the dang thing--last year a crater, caused by a broken ancient watermain, formed in the middle of the busiest intersection in the downtown core and it ended up taking out the entire network--it ended up taking about 2 weeks before they could use that network again! Meanwhile we ended up using the ancient DSL that we still had--with all ITS issues:mad: Technology is so wonderful-----NOT:mad:
Technology is great ... when it works. When it's not working ... well, better stock up on the bicarb.
 
Tom My brother Jim who lives in Yorksprings Pa gets to New Oxford quite often. His MIL lives outside of town on what used to be a self sustaining dairy farm. His FIL took the government buyout about the time he turned 65 so he basically retired then. Charlie was a good guy, his MIL is ok but she is like a drill sargent, she taught thrid grade for about 35 years.
 
Mornin' all!

9844510_400x400.png
 


Good morning

Got to do some running around for work this afternoon then it'll be going to university to do evening classes

My layout is getting another yard thrown together---need one at the Thompson Mill side for diesel service. Then I'll be able to use a couple of models I recently got for mobile diesel refueling:)

I'm also in the hunt for some more warehouse kits again----got this idea for a small industrial park reusing some old disused plants---:)

Jim I remember a very odd Red/Black combination that Woodstock ON police had way back when---it only lasted for a couple of years--:eek::eek:

Well---have a good day people---:D:D
 
Good morning folks.

Talking about Boy Scouts reminds me of my time as a scout. One year, we decided to go on our Polar Bear Rendezvous. We hiked into the woods in our snow gear and made camp. We had to make our own tents out of canvas tarps, rope, and straw. I recall sleeping in my ski clothes inside of a mummy sleeping bag, inside of another sleeping bag. The temperature dipped to minus 13 degrees Fahrenheit!:eek: There were twelve in our patrol that all slept in one quite large tent. I remember waking up perfectly comfortable and almost sweating from all of the layers. I only made it until age fourteen before I became interested in other things than scouts. The times I had were all fun and good learning experiences though.

Work continues on the kit building front. I decided to weather all of my built kits with a few acrylic washes to tone down the 'brand new paint' look. I think I went overboard, but that's okay. My wife said they look much better, so that counts for something. Most of the buildings were at least fifty years old by the time I'm modeling. Not to mention, it is the time of steam, so there would be a fair amount of grime to the backs of the buildings.

After I find a few more kits, I can start to cover the blue foam with some form of ground cover. Anything will be better than blue! I haven't finished laying my sidings or yard until I know exactly which buildings will be where. I also can't commit to backdrop or street placement until all of the buildings are at least bought and accounted for. Oh well, it's not a race.

My boss is in Europe right now, floating down the Rhine river on a boat. I'm kind of stuck wearing a few hats this week while he's gone. I don't miss having to do everything!

I hope everyone has a great day.
 
Good morning

I'd normally be at the office during this time, but I'm sitting at home waiting for the plumber to show up and repair that leaking water pipe. I'm always the one to stay home in situations like this because I can use vacation time, whereas my wife doesn't get any paid time off.

Been working on modernizing a set of four Athearn 62ft tank cars, replacing the full-length peripheral walkways with pipes. I'm not even sure of what those pipes are for, whether they actually carry something or are just part of the frame. All I know is, I've never seen an exact prototype of the 'vanilla' Athearn 62-footer. This project is moving at a snail's pace because I'm taking photos of each step of the process - somebody else may be interested in converting their own.

Barry/Jim - In my area, it seems like all the sheriffs' cars have gotten the B&W paint treatment. County police cars are white with blue trim, or solid black with bright reflective lettering in the neighboring county where I work. The State Police have theirs painted in olive green and black.

Jeff - in the 9 years I've lived at this address, we've gone from having only dial-up access to DSL, then Comcast cable service, and finally Verizon FiOS. Still haven't seen the ultra-high upload/download speeds that Verizon was bragging about though. I suspect that only holds true if the FiOS architecture runs the entire length of the connection between my PC and the remote server; any copper in between will surely slow things down.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Gang! I finally made it back on.
A couple of nights ago, we had one of those storms with the FlaBOOMsh type lightning. It got my modem, but for my cost was the control board on the central air conditioner ($339). Now, the most important thing to get zapped was my LocoBuffer II :D. Oh well, I wanted a new LocoBuffer USB (it is now in shipment :o). We got somewhere between 5-8 inches during that 24 hour period. Fortunately, things are more scattered now and I actually have seen the sun twice.

The diversity of this forum's members always amazes me: beautiful motorcycles, mouth watering hot rods, and a member that has his own navy. WOW!

This is one heck of a busy week for us. My Mom finally decided that Assisted Care was what she wanted and we are in the process of moving the stuff she wants over to that place and separating everything that will go into storage. Then there is the selling of her car and mobile home. The car is a 97 Dodge Intrepid with 40k miles. Excellent condition other than the paint: new tires and battery. Darn "Bluebook" value is terrible at $2800 for Dealer, excellent condition. I would keep it, but can't afford any more insurance.

Time to go an make some more moves. Fortunately, there aren't any pieces that are real heavy. CU later:)
 


I ain't climbin anything near like that contraption. NO NO not me, nada, no way jose, no way in h*77.
 
Phillip- Is this a drifter? I think this is the bike Rex was looking at.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Afternoon, everyone.

LOL, Mikey, if Rex ha a bike, that would be it.

Bob, the Georgia State Police have a color scheme that's almost the opposite of Alabama's. Ours has light gray sides and a dark blue trunk, roof, and, hood. Georgia has a light gray top and dark blue sides. I think it's a take off on the old blue and gray colors from the civil war.

Phillip, have youe ever been to Asia and seen the scaffolding there.? It's usually bamboo poles tied together with some kind of native grass. They use these to construct buildings up to 10 storys. :eek: No OSHA to worry about there. :)

Rex, I've had some things zapped by lighting near misses but it sounds like you really got a high voltage strike. We lose the A/C capacotprs at least one a year to near misses. I'm sure your mom will do better in assisted living but it's kind of sad too. The sun has been out here today too with a high of 90 so summer hs suddenly returned to Alabama.

Ken, I haven't figured out what all those pipes on the 62' tanks cars do either. I wonder how much money we could save nationwide if all police cars were bought on a federal contract and they were all painted the same? I'll bet it woud be a fair chunk of change.

Carey, before you start on ground cover, get some cheap Wallyworld acrylic paint that's about the color of your bare ground. Cover all the foam with that paint and then /B] start doing the ground foam. Any bare spots won't really be noticeable but the blue will still shine through like neon. :D

Well, it's down to the basement. My orders are to clean up all of my tools and paints and suck up all the spiders and bugs that have built nests there over the year. My brother and SIL are comng in about a week and it will probably take me just about that long to get everything done.
 
Phillip- Is this a drifter? I think this is the bike Rex was looking at.

That is a Drifter. It's a 2001-2005 Kawasaki Drifter 1500. You can tell it's a 1500 model because you can see the rear shocks (on each side). The 800cc model has a single hidden monoshock, so it looks more like a true hard tail. You can tell thats a 2001-2005 model because of all the chrome. The 1999-2000 models are what is commonly refered to as the "blackout bikes", because of their lack of chrome. They have a real vintage look to them. Here's a pictorial history that shows the differences (as well as some, but not all, of the paint schemes): http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/historyp3.html When I found my Ebony 2001 I was actually looking for either an Oxblood Red/Pearl Ivory 2001, or a Deep Turquoise Green 2000 model (it looks different then the one in the link.....brighter, like this: http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u200/lionardo_photos/New-2.jpg My friend Leonardo customized this one, and I think it's just beautiful). The Ebony was my third choice. I got a good deal though and I couldn't pass it up.

The one in the pic has had extensive custom work done on it. It's probably loaded with great aftermarket goodies, so even if you don't care for the paint, thats easy to change. It's the aftermarket goodies that are expensive and sometimes real hard to find for this bike. After all, it's an out of production, limited production bike. The aftermarket doesn't go all out with parts for that sort of thing, ya know?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Phillip, have youe ever been to Asia and seen the scaffolding there.? It's usually bamboo poles tied together with some kind of native grass. They use these to construct buildings up to 10 storys. :eek: No OSHA to worry about there. :)

Yeah, those guys are NUTS!
 
Phillip- Is this a drifter? I think this is the bike Rex was looking at.

Oh Yeah! ROLL TIDE!:D

I'm back in and ready to sit down at the feeding trough. The wife and her sister had everything ready for me when I arrived with the Uhaul trailer and the move didn't take long. Everything left will go into storage. The wife will arrange everything between now and Monday, when my Mom will check-in. At near 94 she has done good living by herself and as she wanted, but it has become increasingly hard for her to get around and her memory is very bad. Besides the medical issues, I'm always afraid someone will con her into buying or obligating herself into something she doesn't need or will regret.

Dang, that is nightmare scaffolding in the photo. Looks like something Jeff Foxworthy would get a redneck joke from.
 
Random Drive By Posting............

Hey, How it going Guys and Gals! Just pre occupied with Finding a replacement Job and what not! Got to get rolling/Surfing the web......................
 
I ain't climbin anything near like that contraption. NO NO not me, nada, no way jose, no way in h*77.

Stop Yer crying and get up those.....uh...er....well....Ladders! You know if your wife told you to do it........You'd be up there in a heart beat no and's If's or But's! And you'll more than likely end up on the ground in a pile just as fast!LOL's
 


No I would not Chris. If she told me to get up there I would tell as soon as your butt is up then I may follow. She knows I do not like ladders and such. I have a painting job I need to finish and it is requiring me to use my 24' extension ladder but only to 12'. I go up and paint a couple of 4' areas and then take a couple of days break. It has been six weeks since I last climbed that ladder and need to finish up that job. The owner of the building just gave a another job today to paint the trim on the lower level winds in his $500.000 house. No ladder on this job thank goodness and the railing for his sons 24X32 two level deck will be her any day now so I can also finish that job.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top