Sp 1920-30
I retired two years ago and got back into the hobby after a 35 year hiatus. Now I'm building an HO layout (14X16) with 11 steam engines with a large collection of rolling stock that are suited for the 1920's -30's. I have found DC to be cheaper to run and MRC power packs readily available at auction web sites.
I have found the PECO insulate turnouts work great because you can control current flow by the direction of the turnout. Since this is basically an oval shaped layout with a minimum 40" radius to handle my lengthy heavyweight passenger cars DC works great.
The old dog doesn't want to learn new tricks and prefers to stay on the porch.
Southern Pacific Los Angeles/Mojave Division
I retired two years ago and got back into the hobby after a 35 year hiatus. Now I'm building an HO layout (14X16) with 11 steam engines with a large collection of rolling stock that are suited for the 1920's -30's. I have found DC to be cheaper to run and MRC power packs readily available at auction web sites.
I have found the PECO insulate turnouts work great because you can control current flow by the direction of the turnout. Since this is basically an oval shaped layout with a minimum 40" radius to handle my lengthy heavyweight passenger cars DC works great.
The old dog doesn't want to learn new tricks and prefers to stay on the porch.
Southern Pacific Los Angeles/Mojave Division
