Will the same $20 DCC decoders I hear of work on most popular systems like an MRC prodigy express, digitrax, and NCE?
Also (this might be a dumb question **ALERT!**) if you have a big complex layout with miles of wiring and hundreds of switches.....if there's going to be occasional shorts you'll need to track down....couldn't you just have an indicator light that comes on right where the short is?.....so you don't have to look for it for days to find it? I'm lazy when it comes to shorts......that's just me.....ok sorry....I'll just invent that and get back to you guys. I know when I'm stupid at least.![]()
As worded, the answer to detecting shorts will be, No, at least not without some sort of very sophisticated monitoring system. On a larger DCC layout one first needs to break the layout down into Power Districts. This, just like the old DC block system, isolates portions of the layout to better localize powering and problems. Even so, it will not pinpoint the electrical problem's exact location...and DCC shorts can often prove a real bugger to locate, far more so than with DC as I've learned the hard way from operating on a friend's DCC basement-filling empire.
Plus, if you indeed have "hundreds of switches" on the layout they had better all be DCC friendly, or you may have an awful lot of modification work to do to make them so before the layout can be converted from DC to DCC.
NYW&B
Last edited by a moderator:
