ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I built my layout with blocks and once everything ran smoothly with no track problems I converted it to DCC.
The block switches are great to isolate shorts when they crop up. Also, CAB-B is still a DC supply so I can run friends locos.
silly-sidebar: This is a little like the sound in model locos... Back in the early Surf music days I put a Motorola (spring) Reverb in my car hooked up to the AM radio.
after a while, all the music, heavily loaded with echo effects, got to be really fatiguing.
But when I turned the Reverb off, all the music then sounded flat and dull! I ruined rock and surf music forever!! That's when I switched to Jazz. Jazz didn't need Reverb to spice it up. Neither does hillbilly music (current favorite).
I still run my HO Layout on DC. The Transformer I use is a MRC Trainpower 6200. My Layout is a custom 5X11. The reason I still run my layout on DC is because its easier to run and I don't have to worry about decoders, and other DCC issues I would face because Most of my locomotives are DC.
I tend to be a railroad modeler. Not a model railroader. I want my little world to move and entertain me. I'm not into it to build electronics any more than I have to. I also can't bring myself to pay more than I paid for my loco's to put DCC into them. I only started useing a computer a couple of years ago.
I have long used DCC, but am building my current layout using DC. I have two Stapleton Electronics walk-around throttles with memory that I plan to use. I just got burned out on the whole DCC thing...plus I enjoy building control panels and using toggles.
This is one thing that turns me off about DCC. If I were to change over, I would not start with a "basic" DCC controller. I have found out that you get wha you pay for. I would definitely have to get an upgraded unit, and then with 30 plus locomotives, the cost would fry my hobby budget.
A "basic" DCC decoder just controls the motor and the headlights (on, off, dim, etc.). The "upscale" decoders offer special lighting effects (MARS, strobes, ditch lights, etc.) or Back EMF (for better motor control) for example or a combination of these or others, including sound. Often times all that is needed is a simple two-function decoder that will allow you to control a loco far easier than plain DC.
Basic and upgraded are a bit of a misnomer in this situation.
Basic decoders can be had for less than $20.00. More lighting effects can be had for less than $30.00. You won't hit $80.00 and above unless you want sound. I still have quite a few locos with basic features only, and they won't be getting any upgrades. All you really need are motor control and directional headlights. If you stay with DC you won't have all those extra features anyway unless you buy aftermarket non DCC lighting effect modules (if there are any left on the market) You can get a capable DCC rig and a fist full of decoders for less than the cost of one of the dual mode locos, like the Walthers Proto, the Genesis, MTH, and so forth. Many guys who say their hobby budget couldn't take DCC still manage to keep dragging these expensive locos home It isn't really a question of expense, it's a question of allocation of funds.
Thanks for the info guys. I don't think I want to go DCC on my layout. (never say never) If I wanted to run on someones layout who is useing DCC then it would be nice to have something that would run on it. Will the decoders work from system to system?
The thought of having to wire blocks for a sizable layout and wire them all and build a control panel to control all the blocks was enough to make me want to go to basic DCC. I don't plan on all those extra things to drive up the cost however.
If I were building a large layout I can see where the DCC would make sense. If I were into operation I can see where it might make sense. If I were just starting out I might get my loco's already set up. For me------ I don't think so.
On a large layout it would be very limiting not to step up to the complexity of controlled DC blocks.
But on a large layout wouldn't you want the similar number of power districts too? Just to help troubleshoot the inevitable shorts that need narrowing down to a fraction of the total trackage.
On a large layout it would be very limiting not to step up to the complexity of controlled DC blocks.
But on a large layout wouldn't you want the similar number of power districts too? Just to help troubleshoot the inevitable shorts that need narrowing down to a fraction of the total trackage.
Power districts in DCC are much simpler than multi-cab DC blocks since they operate automatically and with no operator action required. Simple DCC circuit breakers work great and are trouble-free. I've worked on large multi-train DC layouts and large multi-train DCC layouts, and there's no comparison -- DCC is much simpler.
DC is fine, DCC is fine. But to control multiple trains simultaneously and independently, DCC is just plain easier
I buy them in bulk so get a volume discount for $9-$12 each for generic ones. I usually convert the headlights to LEDs at the same time which adds some cost. Some locomotives have space constraint issues and need special shaped or sized decoders. Those will be $24-$40 depending on the exact situation.
Will the same $20 DCC decoders I hear of work on most popular systems like an MRC prodigy express, digitrax, and NCE?
Also (this might be a dumb question **ALERT!**) if you have a big complex layout with miles of wiring and hundreds of switches.....if there's going to be occasional shorts you'll need to track down....couldn't you just have an indicator light that comes on right where the short is?.....so you don't have to look for it for days to find it? I'm lazy when it comes to shorts......that's just me.....ok sorry....I'll just invent that and get back to you guys. I know when I'm stupid at least.