ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Northern Pacific history enthusiast
Can't believe I found this thread. My GP-18 was smooth on the test track when I got it from ebay and then when I got more more track done a few months later and put it on the track got this awful thumping sound like something binding in the gear box.
Took it apart and lubricated it , went on the level smooth but up the incline thumped a little again. Looks as easy as replacing the wheel sets. Some of the posts talk about taking the entire gear assembly with wheels off an old F-7 Athearn. I have one new old stock and wonder if anyone else has done this??
THanks, lasm
Yes. If nothing else Athearn geared axles will substitute for the P2K parts. I've done it with parts supplied by my large LHS. Not sure of another source...
Northern Pacific history enthusiast
Thanks, trailrider, will try that tonight. lasm
Klein's also carries them.
You can go with the Athearn 60024 gear package
OR
the Athearn 40029 wheel sets
Both available from Athearn, eBay and your local hobby shop !!
Northern Pacific history enthusiast
Thanks, Karl, for the p.n's. I tried replacing the Life Like (P2K) GP-18 with the wheelsets from a new old stock Athearn F-7 and they were a tad too tight in there to where it really struggled to turn them. They fit in the place but did seem a bit snug. I put the F-7 back together and ordered some other stuff (for the GP-18) from the dealer.
However, I do have some other "junk" stock I can tinker with with the information in this thread.
Thanks for your participation!! lasm
Northern Pacific history enthusiast
An update on this repair-- I ended up gettint the Walthers geared driver assembly, pn 920 584408, they went in real nice and the test run was smooth as silk.
It looks like this will be my favorite loco now, not only because it is Northern Pacific but also the loco has great detail and the GP-18 design is really cool, although it was not manufactured in great numbers.
I was able to install new headlights, too. One of the old ones was burned out, and the same ebay buy that I put in the buildings fit easily into the predesigned slot in the magnet.
lasm
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)