Come on in to Coffee Shop 21

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoops i missed your post Jim, You pretty much qouted what my parents said, "the smithsonian will keep you busy for days" Im looking forward to DC, hopefully ill get to see it all lit up.
 
Wow, is this place jumping!:eek: Flo, ought to make out pretty good tip wise:D!

Jimbo this place isn't the same when your gone!;) Ducking when the crap starts to fly is very wise thing to do! the soft turd doesn't hurt as bad as those hard dried out ones!;)

Matt, Look in to a 2500HD....Mine has done very well for me, I lug around lawn equipment all day!

Rybcon, I too forgot to ask where in socal you are. I was born/hatched in san dimas. Lived in California til i was ten then we escaped California and Ran to Floriduh! I'm a Hippy Redneck!

Bob, heck I could have used the work;) you lucky SOG!
 
Chris- I found an add for a 1989 GMC Sierra 2500 that needed a new motor, for $500!! Im still kicking myself for not jumping on it, but it was only 2X4.. Still with the money i wouldve saved i couldve upgraded it even after purchasing the new engine. :rolleyes:, oh well. Whats the mpg and pulling capabilities of the 2500? Yours is probably alittle to new for my budget judging from those pics of your sign if i remember right. Like i said id like at minimum 6500lbs and preferably closer to 7000lbs. Mpgs, anything over about 15-19 id consider. 4X4 a must... God im picky :rolleyes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Chris- I found an add for a 1989 GMC Sierra 2500 that needed a new motor, for $500!! Im still kicking myself for not jumping on it, but it was only 2X4.. Still with the money i wouldve saved i couldve upgraded it even after purchasing the new engine. :rolleyes:, oh well. Whats the mpg and pulling capabilities of the 2500? Yours is probably alittle to new for my budget judging from those pics of your sign if i remember right. Like i said id like at minimum 6500lbs and preferably closer to 7000lbs. Mpgs, anything over about 15-19 id consider. 4X4 a must... God im picky :rolleyes:

15-19mpg, 4x4, v8, and pulling 6500lbs.....not likely on this planet!:rolleyes: I see 2001 trucks like mine but 4x4 for around $6k-$7k. My truck running light gets 18mpg in the city and 24mpg on the hyway. Pulling my large trailer loaded:eek::eek: Oh God, you don't want to know the MPG is!:eek::eek: So a 4x4 mpg will be worst than my truck! My truck suprises me with it's pulling power! I lugged the 16' trailer loaded with 2 tons of tree trimmings through the local dump offroad over hill and dale! I love my War Wagon, BNSF971(aka. Terry) has the same type of truck not sure what luck he's had?
 
My dad drives a 4.7liter tundra (soon to upgrade to the 5.7) and it tows something like 7800, 18mpg, its towed our 30ft travel trailer to dover and hershey park and park without any problems. A guy in our camp has almost the exact same truck as you Chris, except a different trim level i beleive. I saw him just this evening actually. Chris- Ive driven my dads truck a few times, and even towed a snowmobile trailer with it at his shop, it drives like my moms Pilot, does the chevy drive like a car or does it feel more like a truck? Im hoping by the time i get ready to drive, prices will drop alittle more, and i wont be completely broke :rolleyes::D
 
Wow, is this place jumping!:eek: Flo, ought to make out pretty good tip wise:D!

Jimbo this place isn't the same when your gone!;) Ducking when the crap starts to fly is very wise thing to do! the soft turd doesn't hurt as bad as those hard dried out ones!;)

Matt, Look in to a 2500HD....Mine has done very well for me, I lug around lawn equipment all day!

Rybcon, I too forgot to ask where in socal you are. I was born/hatched in san dimas. Lived in California til i was ten then we escaped California and Ran to Floriduh! I'm a Hippy Redneck!

Bob, heck I could have used the work;) you lucky SOG!

The world keeps getting smaller. My office is in San Dimas. My LHS is The Train Stop on Bonita.
 
The world keeps getting smaller. My office is in San Dimas. My LHS is The Train Stop on Bonita.
It does keep getting smaller. Chris is from San Dimas, and the camper shell for my truck is stored at a friend's house on Baseline Road.
 
Chris- I found an add for a 1989 GMC Sierra 2500 that needed a new motor, for $500!! Im still kicking myself for not jumping on it, but it was only 2X4.. Still with the money i wouldve saved i couldve upgraded it even after purchasing the new engine. :rolleyes:, oh well. Whats the mpg and pulling capabilities of the 2500? Yours is probably alittle to new for my budget judging from those pics of your sign if i remember right. Like i said id like at minimum 6500lbs and preferably closer to 7000lbs. Mpgs, anything over about 15-19 id consider. 4X4 a must... God im picky :rolleyes:
MPG of a 2500 with a 6.0 liter is about 14 highway, 10 city, deduct for 4x4.
I have the evil twin of Chris' truck, I paid $2500 for it, as well as an older Suburban with a 7.4 that I paid $1500 for. Oh, the 7.4 is not only the displacement of the engine, it is also the gas mileage.:rolleyes:
The Silverado will tow 7600 pounds, the 'Burb will tow 10,000.
 
The world keeps getting smaller. My office is in San Dimas. My LHS is The Train Stop on Bonita.

I live in San Dimas for 5 years then moved to Upland for the last 4! My dad got tired of getting taxed to death.......that's why we're here.:rolleyes: Now that I been here for 31 years I don't want to leave!:D
 


Good morning. It's 38 here. A bit cooler than the weather guesser said it would be. The high will be in the mid 60's and it will be partly cloudy.

Not much going on here today. The Home Health nurse will be around about noon to check my feet. I got the wound vac all boxed up yesterday and called the provider. UPS will come Monday and take it away. I will be so happy to see that thing gone. I received a bunch of freight cars in the mail yesterday so I'll likely be working on them today. Many will work as is and require only a little updating. Some of the others require more work, such as a Bachmann Bicentennial caboose. It needs trucks and body mount couplers. A Mehano caboose requires shims in the coupler pockets to cure a severe case of coupler droop. A brown box Tyco caboose simply needs a change of couplers. An AHM covered coil car will need body mounted coupler boxes added.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/P2200525.jpg
 
Ken I'd sooner face the axeman than the tax man at the present time, good luck to ya.

Just ordered Chicket tikka jalfrezi, lamb tikka massala, peshwari nan, stuffed mushrooms, popadums and chutney for my tea :)

You just ordered what? Are you eating it or getting vaccinated from it? Haggis mon, haggis! (Adjusts kilt)

I've also figured out the answers to some of those nagging questions wives ask when you fart:

1. Did you fart? Of course I did, you didn't think I always smell like this did ya?

2. Did you sh*t yourself? OF course not, I'm a professional.

and finally, the most aggravating one of all:

3. What crawled up your butt and died? I don't know, but I aim to find out so I can eat another one just to keep you out of my damn train room!
 
Afternoon

LMAO i did one once which was really loud in a superstore crammed full of people, so i looked at the wife shaking my head, she never spoke for a week, dunno why ???

Jim am still in the cold damp part of the world, been on my hols/vacation to lanzarote though.

lovurly sunny day here, better than this morning which was foggy and frozen solid. Been doing some training at the fire service training centre today, managed to get a bit wet when someone din't tie off a main jet to a fence tight enough, result was 950 gallons per min of ice cold water right at us, glad i wasnt facing the onslaught but i still got a good cold water back massage and the guy who's fault it was hid in front of me to keep dry, lmao

payback will come when he least expects it
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello--

It is all SUNNY out here!! Heeheehee:D:D

Around here any sun we get is cause for celebration---hence I'm having a cold one so there HAAARRRRUUUUUMMMPH!!:D:D:D

I'm having another batch of those gotta buys that come along when one has a few extra sheckels in their pockets. Some dang thing happened in our bathroom which needs replacing---dang shower head and pipe sprung a leak----GRRRR:mad: So whatever $$$$ I had for MRR is now gone to something else.:(:mad:

I forgot Albert's Axiom--to wit--that any available $$$ at hand will be needed for other than what it was intended for---:(:(

Don't you just love it?:confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Have a good one!:cool::cool:
 
Morning all. Surprisingly sunny this morning. Today's rain got in about 9:00p last night, but the forecast is still for rain so we'll be expecting the clouds back soon.

Had to have the oil pan gasket replaced on the car ($350). Easy come. Easy go. I'm going to try and do some work on converting a GP-9 to the C&EI line.
 
Afternoon 'yall,

WVM - Thanks for posting the scato humor, it got me laughing for the first time since I got up at 6:00am this morning!:D

Why the otherwise sour disposition, you ask? I completed my tax returns this morning and learned [once again] that income bracket shifts don't occur gradually, but rather very abruptly. Since my wife increased her work hours to fund our kids' school tuitions, we crossed an income threshold where we lost many of the deductions we were able to claim the year before. So now instead of a $2000 refund like we had for 2008, we owe the guv'mint $2300. Oh well at least we got a $1600 refund from the State to offset that so we only have to scrape up another $700. Not a catastrophe, but certainly a major disappointment! Needless to say this kills any plans I originally had of upgrading my layout this year.:(

Barry - there's a name for that phenomenon you described [surprise expenses always come along to devour any extra money you've saved up], but I can't remember it...
 
managed to get a train round in a circle today, well a sort of bent dogbone shape anyway. first train to run in well over a year so the boys are happy as pigs in manure. i have no plans to do any kind of scenicing at all, it's plywoodsville for ever, as it'll be torn out soon as we get a house buyer :D
 
Barry - there's a name for that phenomenon you described [surprise expenses always come along to devour any extra money you've saved up], but I can't remember it...

It's called marraige Ken funny, when I was single the household funds were lower, but the choo choos florished! Go figgure!!:confused:
 
Did a little work on a couple of freight cars this morning then went down to my parent's place to wash some clothes and wait on the Home Health nurse to come as I was she would could come out today after last Wednesdays visit. Well, the clothes were done and I had had watched a couple of TV programs and still no nurse. So I called the phone # I had for them and they said they'd check and call me back. Over an hour later no one had called back so I called again. It was then they gave me a message stating that since I was no longer on the vac therapy they were no longer coming out. I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is they had Wednesday, Thursday and Friday to get this message to me. Instead, I have to waste several hours of my time while they take their time getting back to me. At least the whole day wasn't wasted. My sister and I went out to dinner at Las Margaritas tonight. That was a nice diversion. I don't like being stuck at home all the time. My parent's place is OK but there's not much I can do there.
 


Evening, everyone.

It was a nice sunny day here for once, with a high of 73. That's warmest it's been in two months. Going to get rain and thunderstorms tomorrow night and Monday then another chance at snow Tuesday night and Wednesday. Maybe it will start to warm up in March...or April. :)

Ken, it always hurts to have to cough up those taxes but at least they can't (yet) take more than what you made, so you're still ahead. Does cut into the old train budget though.

Matt, why do you need such a huge truck? You'll have to work full time just to pay for the gas. Get your dad to haul around the big things and get a smaller truck.

Barry, my tax return is the closest thing I have to paperwork now. Being retired is wonderful. Of course, plumbing problems have to get fixed no matter what.

Rick, I forgot all about the Train Shop on Bonita until you mentioned it. I'm glad it's still in business. That and Crane's Trains and Hobbies were my two favorite San Gabriel Valley stores, outside of the Original Whistle Stop. Spent tons of money at those three places. I hope they've taken down all my bad checks from the wall behind the register by now. :D

Jeffrey, sounds like the home health agency got their wires crossed. At least that's one less appointment you have to hang around and wait for. sounds like a nice little haul of freight cars.

Steve, having to fool with hose full of cold water in the winter is another reason I never became a firefighter. I'm glad you were at least able to take your holidays in a nice place. Glad to hear you got a train running too, even if it is on the Plywood Central.

Karl, seems to me I did have more pocket money when I was single. Now that I'm married again with two girls to get through college and at least one who's going to get married after graduation and wants a big wedding, it's back to budgeting again. I already offered her five grand to elope but she's not taking the deal. ;)

Got nothing done but pay the bills that piled up in my absence and get about ten minutes in the sun trimming a few crepe myrtles. The city takes over our garbage collection on March 1st. We still have to put our household trash in a can but I can take all my bush and tree trimmings and just throw them out in the street and the city will come along with a truck with a big crane and pick them up. It's the only place I've ever lived in that has this kind of service. Kind of weird but I have a ton of stuff that needs to pruned and cut, so I should keep the city crane busy for a few months.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top