Come on in to Coffee Shop 21

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
well, hurray for catching the guy.

coulda been worse.

and now you'll have clean socks. which is always a good thing.

I have a huge drift of snow in the lane, I have to dig it out before I can get out and run errands.
Is it spring yet?
 


Mornin All,

Chris, your cold front is my heat wave.:p:D We're at 29 degrees this morning. Thank goodness it warmed up some, so it could snow AGAIN.

The "railroad" has annexed the property belonging to the race track through E/D thus doubling the size of the layout. Must have more track. What to build what to build?
 
A Happy Thursday morning to all. Nothing new in SoCal. Mid 60s and rain still scheduled for Friday (and Saturday).

I'm looking forward to the weekend as I'll be staking claim to a portion of the garage for the new train empire . . . okay diorama. The space I finally decide on will dictate what I actually end up doing.
 
What happend to everyone?

Flo, I'll have the 36oz T-bone Steak, Large Baked Potato and steamed mixed Vegies. then I'll have a Unsweet Iced tea. and Put this on Philips Tab!That ought to bring him out from hiding!;):p

Where the heck is everyone? I can't be the only one here with out a life here!:eek::confused:;):D:p
 
Flo, I'll have the 36oz T-bone Steak, Large Baked Potato and steamed mixed Vegies. then I'll have a Unsweet Iced tea. and Put this on Philips Tab!That ought to bring him out from hiding!;):p

Where the heck is everyone? I can't be the only one here with out a life here!:eek::confused:;):D:p

I's be here---as opposed to there:D:D
 


Well we gotta figure out how to re break in a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora. This car has less than 12,000 miles on it. The last time we got one of my FIL's cars it was 4 yrs old with 9,000 miles on it and we just started driving it like we did our old car and at 43,000 we had to replace the motor because it was going thru 3 qts of oil between 3,000 oil changes. This time we want to do it right. The mechanic who has done all of the oil changes and did all repairs recommended we take it to INDY and back at 55MPH. The next day or time we do 57 or 58MPH, Then 60MPH and so on till we get it up to speed. This sounds reasonable to me but wondering if any of you guys or gals has any other recommendations? The car is like brand new, no door dings, no dirt on the engine or the interior. He was very particular about his vehicles and I want to have no proble3ms with this one. It has every available toy on it so it is loaded to the gills with STUFF some of which I will neve fugure out what of how to use.
 
I had to go out to the Pickering flea market (biggest in this area) to find a good VCR. All the ones any of the pawn shops had were worthless junk that wasn't even worthy of target practice. My old Toshiba (10 years old) finally bit the dust this morning. It suddenly decided that instead of playing or recording tapes it would simply eject them and tangle the tape up in the spindles. I got it to work but it's iffy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I sorted through a bunch of old VCR's until I found several that met my criteria. It had to work well with no hesitation and require no fiddling with it to make it work. It had to be Hi-Fi with extra ports on the front. Two looked like they had belonged to kids and one acted like it. It just flat out refused to even power up. The other one worked great until it came time to eject the tape. Took several tries but it finally did it. The third one, a Sony unit, looks almost brand new an dthere's zero dust on it or on the control buttons. It relatively new as it's digital converter capable. It works perfectly! No hesitation, no drag, no tracking problems and it records very clear with no static. Price tag? $20. Now, I know there are many out there who have the obvious question on the tip of their tongue. What the heck do I need with a prehistoric device like a VCR? It's kinda hard to transfer VHS tapes to DVD's without one and I'm not spending $200 on a combo unit. I had one of those some years ago and was very unhappy with it. Using the VCR I can play the tape into the computer and burn it onto a DVD.
 
Barry- Sounds like an interesting evening for sure, but at least the guy is caught, when my moms car was broken into, i felt awkward riding in it, not sure why though.

Well not a whole lot going on here today, hope everyone has a nice evening.
 
Well we gotta figure out how to re break in a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora. This car has less than 12,000 miles on it. The last time we got one of my FIL's cars it was 4 yrs old with 9,000 miles on it and we just started driving it like we did our old car and at 43,000 we had to replace the motor because it was going thru 3 qts of oil between 3,000 oil changes. This time we want to do it right. The mechanic who has done all of the oil changes and did all repairs recommended we take it to INDY and back at 55MPH. The next day or time we do 57 or 58MPH, Then 60MPH and so on till we get it up to speed. This sounds reasonable to me but wondering if any of you guys or gals has any other recommendations? The car is like brand new, no door dings, no dirt on the engine or the interior. He was very particular about his vehicles and I want to have no proble3ms with this one. It has every available toy on it so it is loaded to the gills with STUFF some of which I will neve fugure out what of how to use.

Larry
As a 20+ year former GM tech/advisor/manager I'll tell you what I always did for every car I have ever owned, new or otherwise. This has worked for used as well as new cars, including my Olds Alero, which now has 178,000 plus miles on it.
Drive it like ya stole it :D

Well, maybe not that harsh, but drive it like you will normally drive it. Break-in on engines is a thing of the past. Harder piston rings & cylinder walls made to tighter tolerances are just one of the reasons. Unleaded fuels fetter fuel delivery and a quality oil also help. (Synthetic if at all possible) With 9,000 miles on it, it's well past "break in" anyway, even by old standards. I'd be more concerned with dried out hoses, seals, and suspension bushings than I would with the engine. Remember, the mileage may be low, but it's still a 10 year old car, and age can sometimes be harder on a car than mileage.
 
DIS AIN"T FUNNY!!:mad::eek::mad:

28-36 inches of snow predicted starting tomorrow and thru Saturday night! This should not only bring the entire state of Maryland to its knees, but also will force the cancellation of the Great Scale Train Show in Timonium!

Double bummer!!!:mad:

Me? I guess I'll be working on kits, even though somebody now has a twinkle in her eye and is all chatty about getting snowed in with her man...........good greif!:rolleyes:
 
DIS AIN"T FUNNY!!:mad::eek::mad:

28-36 inches of snow predicted starting tomorrow and thru Saturday night! This should not only bring the entire state of Maryland to its knees, but also will force the cancellation of the Great Scale Train Show in Timonium!

Double bummer!!!:mad:

Me? I guess I'll be working on kits, even though somebody now has a twinkle in her eye and is all chatty about getting snowed in with her man...........good greif!:rolleyes:

AAAWWWWWW!!! That's so cute!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::eek:

The 28-36" of that dang white stuff AIN'T cute!!:eek::eek: BTW---we still have 30" in our back yard---under the trees:eek::confused::confused:

Now---we, OTOH, are supposed to be sunny and back to -10C for a high by the weekend----GRRR!!!!:mad::mad:----and windy to boot!! :mad::mad:

BTW---if at all possible---HIDE!!!:eek::eek:
 


DIS AIN"T FUNNY!!:mad::eek::mad:

28-36 inches of snow predicted starting tomorrow and thru Saturday night! This should not only bring the entire state of Maryland to its knees, but also will force the cancellation of the Great Scale Train Show in Timonium!

Double bummer!!!:mad:

Me? I guess I'll be working on kits, even though somebody now has a twinkle in her eye and is all chatty about getting snowed in with her man...........good greif!:rolleyes:

The Hell it ain't! ROFLMAO! SNOW baby...SNOW.......Snow like you stole it!:eek::D:p
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top