Come on in to Coffee Shop 21

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
... That is the same thing they have done for years with a dome stadium.

Its been going on for ten years now, Rex, TEN YEARS!

In today's paper, the guy in charge of choosing the architectural team, which was chosen last year, to design and build the "dome", is saying its a project whose time has passed.

I totally agree.

Jim;

Had no problems getting in from LR today, surprise, surprise! Only trouble I had was dodging the 22 18-wheelers on their sides in the median from LR to Memphis!:D Passed one "set" of three, laid out perfectly end-to-end. The Arkansas State Troopers had one lane of I-40 blocked on east bound side as the trailers were all unloaded manually, and other trailers were loaded.

And no I didn't see any boxes labeled "Atlas" or "Athearn". If I hadda, I would have "helped"!:p
 


Carey When i did recovery and towing it was always the same, every time i went to an overturned semi truck it had useless stuff on board such as a zillion bottle tops or boxes of pigs ears for the pet foot plant,,, never have i ever come across anything useful in wrecks. :(
 
Good morning folks

It was 26 F as I headed onto the salt encrusted highways this morning. High will be 35 F.

Saturday’s surprise snow storm made a mess of things. We were supposed to meet some old friends for dinner but we had to cancel once it was obvious we were going to get more than a few flurries. After Friday morning’s mess the highway departments took no chance and laid down the salt heavy. Yesterday and today we have been driving in a white cloud. At several places there are clumps of salt acting like huge speed bumps.

I did not get any train time as I wound up doing a bunch of little projects around the house.

Tonight is a double fun night. My daughter has flute lesson and my son has Boy Scouts.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good morning. It's 35 with a rain and snow mix. The high will be around 50 and it will will be cloudy.

I'm able to read somewhat better today for about 8 to 10 minutes at a time. That's better than it was yesterday for sure. I'm hoping this clears up soon. To say that it's aggravating is an understatement to say the least. I'm debating on whether or not to go into town today and pay some bills that can't be paid any other way or hold off until tomorrow when I have to go into town anyway for my doctor appointment. I know it would be better to consolidate all the errands into one trip but I'm feeling rather like the Vontage gnome in those cabin fever commercials when he says I've got to get out of here. There's also the grocery shopping to consider.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/PC180301.jpg
 
Carey When i did recovery and towing it was always the same, every time i went to an overturned semi truck it had useless stuff on board such as a zillion bottle tops or boxes of pigs ears for the pet foot plant,,, never have i ever come across anything useful in wrecks. :(

Actually saw this in Woodstock ON a few years back--following a semi up the hill on the old Governors Rd( Dundas Street). The buddy in the truck makes the turn onto Vansittart ave and I'm seeing the trailer twisting as the load shifts---and PTOOOF!--over to the side it goes:eek:---rips open the top and out comes a whole pile of stainless steel exhaust pipe assemblies---I wondered if any could've been of some use:rolleyes::rolleyes::confused:

Good Morning:):)

We's be sunny today with our ever popular 30% chance of little tiny snowflurries:rolleyes::)

Actually have some MRR time today ---see whether I can get something done about my Williston Terminal Yard---as it's starting to look terminally ill:rolleyes::cool::confused::)

Have a good one people!:D:D:D
 
Currently 47 working towards 66 today. Nothing but clouds as we start the build up for some rain later in the week.

Plenty to do today with month end.
 
Carey When i did recovery and towing it was always the same, every time i went to an overturned semi truck it had useless stuff on board such as a zillion bottle tops or boxes of pigs ears for the pet foot plant,,, never have i ever come across anything useful in wrecks. :(

One of my Dad's exploits was leasing semi tractors. He owned 14 that he leased, with drivers. He would get cases of fruit and veggies from time to time from truck-trailer accidents. He would always get enough for the four of us kids.

The law doesn't allow for "damaged" products to be resold to the public. Needless to say I had enough fruit cocktail to last me years. Cases and cases of fruit and veggies. My trips to the market were for meat, bread, milk, and cleaning supplies for the most part.

I feel like crap today. My back is killing me. I have another doctor's appointment this afternoon to learn how to stick myself and administer the insulin. Not looking forward to this at all.

Sugar readings have been all over the place. I've been getting readings from the high 90's to the 270's. Diet is pretty much unchanged, as I do watch what I eat. I got a reading of 242 just this morning. Oddly, it goes down throughout the day. I've cut out bedtime snacks. I just can't understand the early AM readings. When I test at lunch time I'll get a reading in the 150's or so. By supper time, it will be in the 120's or lower. My lowest reading was an 84 Saturday evening. This is crazy!!!

Last night's supper was baked chicken breast, salad, and I had a few red taters, not near as many taters I would have liked, and some green beans. Should not have made the sugar blow up like that.

I am not a breakfast kind of guy. Breakfast usually consists of about 3 cups of coffee. I've started eating the meal, usually cereal or fresh fruit. Well, as fresh as one can get this time of year. Lunch is soup or a small portion of leftovers from supper. And supper is pretty normal, meat, vegetables, and maybe a small salad. I did have a large lettuce salad Saturday for supper. It just sound good to me.

Angela is a great cook and has found some "diabetic-friendly" desserts as well as meals. They are very good. This is a match made in heaven, she loves to cook an I love to eat. She has also "changed" some of her traditional recipes to be more friendly to diabetics. I've told her that she needs to publish a cookbook. Yes, she IS that good.

I'm thinking that being a lot more sedentary is probably the cause for my problems. Hard to do much with a back that sends pains across your back and down your legs when you stand sit or lay. I can stand for 1-2 hours then I have to get down on the floor a lay down a bit. 2-4 hours of sleep at a time doesn't get it either. I can sit, stand or lay for about 2 hours at a time. Then it's time to find another position.

I did get some new pain pills Friday. Ultram. I don't know where they stand on the list, how effective they are when compared to Lortab, Vicodin, and the others. They don't seem as strong. But, unlike some of the others, I get an upset stomach if I don't eat something with them.

On the train front, I had a ball on HOYS this weekend. Patrick had a 'Steam Show Weekend". I bought an OMI C&O Berkshire with issues(doesn't run) for $75. The seller says it has gearing issues. Easy fix. I also picked up a few Mantua/Bowser switch engines, including two Big 6's. Those are destined to be cab-forward switchers. And Tom Hare said he had a couple of more that would be good for the project.

I know the cab forward project is not prototypical, but they are unique and sell like crazy at train shows, to individuals, and on eBay. I've never kept any long enough to sell on eBay, though I've seen them go for upwards to $75-$100 each. Mine have been gone long before I can get them posted. A buddy bought a "Big 6" conversion from me for $150. Not bad for 3 hours work.

eBay also treated me well. I picked up an Atlas SD35 that has a bad strip job for $20. If I can't solve its problem, a new body or a project using the drive seems in order. Gotta figure which road to tag it. Wabash, maybe? C&O? Monon?

Needless to say, I spent my whole year's train budget in one weekend. I might have to thin the herd to get more spending money.

Well, I've been long-winded enough. Beginning to be like Jim. lol

This round of coffee is on me, Flo.

Bob
 
Hope things get better (or at least stabilize). The doc has started to watch my sugar levels, but so far I'm staying below the magic number.
 


Hope things get better (or at least stabilize). The doc has started to watch my sugar levels, but so far I'm staying below the magic number.
That's a good thing to watch. Sometimes mine really get out of whack, going from the 80's and 90's up to 300 or more then after a little while go back to normal and I didn't change anything. At other times it does just the opposite and doesn't want to get out of the 40 to 69 range. It seems to be something that can't be explained.
 
That's a good thing to watch. Sometimes mine really get out of whack, going from the 80's and 90's up to 300 or more then after a little while go back to normal and I didn't change anything. At other times it does just the opposite and doesn't want to get out of the 40 to 69 range. It seems to be something that can't be explained.

I'm being told the magic number is 126. I'm usually between 112 and 119. I go to the doctor every 3 months because I'm taking Vytorin for cholesterol so she's keeping an eye on the sugar as well.
 
One key to blood sugar reduction is exercise. When I got an exercise bike and began to ride on a regular basis...the ol' sugaroo came right down to manageable levels. Lost about 40 pounds and everything else took care of itself after that.
 
Good News, I got my Silverado PAID OFF!:eek::D We had enough from Income taxes to Pay off my truck, Advertise my Lawn Service for the next Three months (Full Color Ad) in the Local News letter for Spring Hill that comes in the mail, Get thousand more Business cards printed up and a 19"x62" magnetic tail gate sign for my truck!:D I'm happy as a pig in crap, that $200 a month back in my pocket!:D:p Now, i just need 40 accounts to get back to where I was before the lay off;)!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If you stay below 140, except for just after meals, you are doing good. Though 160 is toward the higher end of the normal range. Your readings should go done 45 minutes to an hour after a meal.

I "stick" myself 3x a day now, used to be 2x, before breakfast and before supper. I do believe this back thing is causing the problem. That and not being active. Now I test before each meal. Hopefully, as the weather gets nicer and I become more active, I can get off the insulin. The better half suggested I start an exercise regimen. The mall here has a "mall walkers" program. Not a large mall by any means, but I may be albe to get some exercise that way. I don't get much sitting at a computer or the railroad work bench. I do walk the dogs in nicer weather. C'mon Spring!!!!!

Oddly, driving a car for any length of time has me down for a couple of days. But, I can spend weeks on the boat with no adverse affects. I fact, I feel better after being on the boat. Seems to me the "rocking" and pounding the waves would be more painful. But, climbing down the ladder from the flying bridge is a painful ordeal as is walking down steps.

This gettin' old crap sucks. I guess I'm paying the price of doing things "full throttle" or not at all. Diving for ground balls and pop-ups, hitting opposing football players running flat out and head on, is finally taking its toll. Not to mention lifting engine blocks into the back of pick up trucks or onto the bench solo

But, the good news is that I am still breathing.

Bob
 
I obviously missed all this medical crap when I read the "getting old" brochure. My legs are (or can be) the problem. Too many years of tennis, basketball & track beat them up resulting in vein surgery on both legs. Breaking my knee in '97 didn't help either. Still have a titanium pin holding everything together.

Are we starting to sound like a bunch of old ladies? LOL
 
One key to blood sugar reduction is exercise. When I got an exercise bike and began to ride on a regular basis...the ol' sugaroo came right down to manageable levels. Lost about 40 pounds and everything else took care of itself after that.


Are you suggesting I should fire my gardener and the guy who washes my car every Friday?
 
I've ad 11 knee surgeries(all arthroscopic, thank goodness), one shoulder surgery, one cervical spine surgery(they worked on 6 out of 7 vertebrae), and one lower back surgery(worked on 5 out of 6 vertebrae). Now, either we signed up to go under the knife when we entered this world or someone just enjoys watching us bleed. Add diabetes and high blood pressure......... This gettin' old crap sucks!!!!!! My first knee surgery was at age 26. It's been downhill from there.

Bob
 


Thanks for all the comments of the project. I know there can be much more added, but most of the reaching and grunt work is done.

David and all:The total length for the project is around 20-22 feet. The trackwork has been done for about 6 years...just no scenery. This was one of those projects that you know needs done: you look at it; you plan how you want to do it; then you move on to something you rather do instead. :D:D

The grades are ~2% and there is 6" between levels. The flat area on #2 has a branch to the sawmill.

No need for the 30" "rule" on the new work; it is 36". The hidden track has to be accessed from under the layout and the top track is easily reached by my short arms. Since the topo is at an angle, there is nothing to knock over or tear loose. BTW: I have a 6" platform for standing on that covers much of this area's floor. Also, all hidden track was designed to have "easy" access from under the layout.
These photos may give you a better perspective of the area.
The Second photo is showing part of the South half of the total layout.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top