Come on in to Coffee Shop 21

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon, everyone.


Chris, I read that same story about the hospitals not wanting to take more earthquake victims. Isn't this why the $160 million was raised in that awful concert? Last I heard, the people of the US have donated almost $400 million for Haiti relief. It seems like paying these poor folks hospital bills is a legitimate use of that money. If I was the Guv, I'd be screaming to high heaven for the Red Cross to come in and take on this burden. Seems like the O-man could come up with a few bucks too, since our military is dumping off the patients.

Jim heres the story we're being told: http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/local/hillsborough/haitian-patients-strain-fl-hospitals-013010

I don't think any of that raised money will ever see the haitian peoples. It will more than likely end up getting waisted on something total opposite than what it was raised for!:mad: May be a new HSR system!;):D
 
Got a note from Boss Bob about changing my email account to something other than Comcast. I did this today and instead of getting my backdrop work started, I spent hours trying to figure out how to forward email from "Hotmail" to Comcast (to use Outlook). Finally, and by accident, I found all the settings I needed and got that working.

My other weekend computer problem (4 hours:o) was losing the Internet connection from my house computer. It is tied in by NIC to the router, but was dead. I tried resets and all the simple things, then remembered to check out the driver for the Ethernet card. I rolled back the driver, but that didn't help. I got to thinking that if the file was corrupted then I was probably corrupting the new file loading right back on top of it. Then I got smart and deleted the driver, restarted the computer, computer reloaded new driver files, and all is back connected to cyberland. I was in minutes of spending mo-money on a new card...probably a wireless.

Jim, what Birmingham is looking at is an HSR route to New Orleans and then later to Atlanta; they are pretty much saying replace the Amtrak route from N.O. to Washington/NewYork. I believe they are working on things like a station, connections, etc. They will probably hire dozens of consultants and spend millions on research/planning, to only end up with the city council voting that they need another plan. That is the same thing they have done for years with a dome stadium.

Chris: that Haitian hospital thing is a crock and makes my blood boil. This whole mess will end up being worse than the fiasco of Katrina. BTW: How is all of this the responsibility of the U.S.? Oops! I forgot, we have the printing presses.:mad::D

MAN! IT'S COLD DOWN HERE.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Good Morning

Welp, the current temperature is now -13C with the windchill at -18C. It beats -27C!!:rolleyes:

Have a strange thing to do this morning--we had an episode of brokenpipe yesterday at the university and I have had nobody phone me up to let me know exactly what is going on-or not.:eek::confused::mad: So. I am going there to find out what exactly transpired and if we can't use the dang space I'll wait around to see who all shows up and then commandeer a space for SOMETHING!!:mad::):)

So. In the meantime I'm having a relaxing morning with 'Spring' curled up in my lap while I'm trying to type on the laptop:D:):);):p

Have a good one----:D:D
 
I'm still here. My dyslexia went into maximum overdrive Friday and I haven't been able to read much for the past couple of days. It's cleared up enough now that I can read a few sentences with only a little trouble with words jumping around. Hopefully it will clear later today. Right now it's keeping the spell checker very busy.
 
Well went to the hockey game last night, phantoms lost by 2, and there were no fights but i watched the goaley get taken out :D

Today ive got a pretty busy day. Ive gotta make a run south to return a book, then im heading over to nanas so my mom can help her out with her computer. My dad left about 15 minutes ago for a business trip in St. Louis, then hes home for a few day, and out the door again. :rolleyes:

As for HSR, NY is suppose to get it i guess, some people are saying Albany-Buffalo, others are saying Albany-Montreal, and personally i dont want to see it go to montreal. The tracks run about 2.5 miles from my house, and i cross them all the time, i like seeing the locals and the CPR frieghts with that D&H lightning stripe paint, not some train going 110 :mad:. However with the dredging project and the massive yard they just put in for that, hopefully will slow this project down and move it out west.
 
Soon to be afternoon everyone!:) The Temp.? have no clue as for I haven't watched the news and ain't about to! The news has been getting me PO'ed so to further my ignoence I will wallow in stupidity today:D so indugle me please. As for the temp feels like 60 something with a north wind kicking. Warm enough for me to wear shorts and Tee shirt inside and that is where i will stay today:) I got 90% of my morning chores done, just waiting on the last load of laundry to dry so I can fold it and file it away. By the looks of thing everyone here is in the SSDD department:rolleyes: O'well we'll survive, Long a Flo keeps the coffee flowing strong and hot. Today would have been a good day for a Airsoft Battle but being our AEG is dead, and bing out gunned is not in my mood today I chose to stay put and watch some You tube battlers along with some MRR vids too:D OBTW: we should get enough from income tax to dang near pay off my Truck and place a couple of ads for my lawn service! thats good news for me! Also on that note one of my On call customers went to Scheduled and payed up front 22 weeks that was a big blessing! any who must finish folding the laundry BBS....:)
 
Back after an unwilling hiatus

I'm back, after a series of disasters both with my computer and an accident (again). I now have a Mac, so the Windoze issues should be behind me...
I fell off the roof of an RV at work, and hurt my hand a little over a month ago. It made it tough to type with one hand, or, with one hand and a couple of fingers:rolleyes:, though most of you would probably think it improved my typing skills. If anybody says Santa Ana winds can't rival a hurricane, I am here to refute that in person.:eek: Now, all I have to do is go back through all the forums I belong to, and catch up on what I've missed over the last 5 weeks or so.
 
I'm back, after a series of disasters both with my computer and an accident (again). I now have a Mac, so the Windoze issues should be behind me...
I fell off the roof of an RV at work, and hurt my hand a little over a month ago. It made it tough to type with one hand, or, with one hand and a couple of fingers:rolleyes:, though most of you would probably think it improved my typing skills. If anybody says Santa Ana winds can't rival a hurricane, I am here to refute that in person.:eek: Now, all I have to do is go back through all the forums I belong to, and catch up on what I've missed over the last 5 weeks or so.

TERRY!:eek::D Wow, taking swan dives from greater that 6' can result in much worst! I seen a guy swan dive off a dug out roof, Break his face, break his hip, and Shattered his wrist! All because he wouldn't listen to coomon sence! Yet he kept his job and I got layed off!:mad::rolleyes: O'well Glad to hear from ya's:):D
 
Last edited by a moderator:
TERRY!:eek::D Wow, taking swan dives from greater that 6' can result in much worst! I seen a guy swan dive off a dug out roof, Break his face, break his hip, and Shattered his wrist! All because he wouldn't listen to coomon sence! Yet he kept his job and I got layed off!:mad::rolleyes: O'well Glad to hear from ya's:):D
Since I'm the entire service department, I couldn't delegate the roof job...:rolleyes: The roofs of the RVs I work on are rounded, with nothing to hold onto. A gust of wind blew me off the roof, I managed to grab the ladder on the way down and slow my fall, but I still broke several bones in my right hand. Not sure if I broke the hand when I grabbed the ladder, or when I grabbed the ground...:eek: It was the week for accidents, my boss was using a bench grinder, and the mounting base where it bolts to the floor broke off, and the grinder fall on his hand. Without getting too graphic, I could see the inner workings of his hand before he went to the ER. And no, I am not a cast member of Home Improvement...:o
 


Everyone enjoying their Sunday? I'm back to the backdrop and struggling to get it ready to repaint. I had the joints taped and mudded and that is all being redone. That worked out pretty good, though I would like to find something better. I thought about wood filler/patch, but I believe the backdrop would flex too much for that and it would crack easier. What do you use?
Here are a few photos of that plaster project. I plan on scattering some patches of trees on the second level and adding bushes/brush, etc. That will be awhile; hopefully, not as long as it took me to do this job. I still need to clean things up some more and repaint the fascia.

Before and After (6 years:o:o:D) The middle photo is about 18 feet. Also, those that haven't seen puff ball trees can see how they look when used as background.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wahey Rex, thats looking really smart, well done sir. Yeah the hospital stuff stinks of something terrible,,,,...

took the children to the museum and to see a mainline steam special come through yesterday, the museum was closed for renovation and the train was cancled :o(

It's hot hot hot today, got upto 33f at one point in the blazing sunshine and it even started to thaw the snow (slightly)

No fires or accidents for 8 days now, BUT that gave me time to study for and pass the breathing apparatus entry control officer test.
 
Evenin guys!

Well, just got done with phase 1 of signin my life away,,,again. Tomorrow the contract on our new house gets submitted. Hopefully, the sellers will accept our offer and we can get this over with. Then I can call all my FCSME buddies for a movin party!!! :D;) (KenL, that means you too!;)) I'd like to settle on the house by Tax day (April 15, for all you that done pay Federal taxes!) then move in mid-May (Plenty of time to prep the railroad room!)

Rex,,,lookin good!!! I'd say I liked you puffballs,,,but,,,nevermind.:rolleyes:

Terry,,, all I can say is OUCH man!! Might want to put like 2 ft thick padding all around the next RV you climb on!
 
That shop Sounds like OSHA's worst nightmare!

Terry,,, all I can say is OUCH man!! Might want to put like 2 ft thick padding all around the next RV you climb on!
I'm learning fast that the draconian laws in this state seem to have nothing to do with reality, as far as businesses go. The shop didn't even have worker's comp insurance at the time of my accident (supposedly through an administrative oversight). They have it now (that it's too late). I've had enough, 3 places out of 3 that seem to be doing their best to "get one over" on somebody (the government, the employees or the customers, or a combination of all 3). We're now exploring options to return East at our earliest opportunity. Oh, and I figured out my taxes for 2009. I'll pay in $300 in Federal taxes, and $1200 in state taxes! And I had the payroll company withholding extra every week, so this didn't happen. Everybody I've talked to so far has had to pay a ton of money in CA state taxes this year, I guess we know now how they're going to cover their multi-billion $ shortfall.
About the only good thing in the last month or two has been my "new" laptop. It just "works", with no fuss or drama. I'd forgotten how good Macs were. Oh, yeah, two things. My LHS has a sale on N scale Kato SD70ACe's in the Heritage DRGW, $69.99 each. I picked one up, the way things look, it'll probably be the last model railroad item I get for a while...
 
I'm learning fast that the draconian laws in this state seem to have nothing to do with reality, as far as businesses go. The shop didn't even have worker's comp insurance at the time of my accident (supposedly through an administrative oversight). They have it now (that it's too late). I've had enough, 3 places out of 3 that seem to be doing their best to "get one over" on somebody (the government, the employees or the customers, or a combination of all 3). We're now exploring options to return East at our earliest opportunity. Oh, and I figured out my taxes for 2009. I'll pay in $300 in Federal taxes, and $1200 in state taxes! And I had the payroll company withholding extra every week, so this didn't happen. Everybody I've talked to so far has had to pay a ton of money in CA state taxes this year, I guess we know now how they're going to cover their multi-billion $ shortfall.
About the only good thing in the last month or two has been my "new" laptop. It just "works", with no fuss or drama. I'd forgotten how good Macs were. Oh, yeah, two things. My LHS has a sale on N scale Kato SD70ACe's in the Heritage DRGW, $69.99 each. I picked one up, the way things look, it'll probably be the last model railroad item I get for a while...

I think the Taxes are going to kill everyone living in a state with large short falls of cash next year! We're lucky we should get enough back to pay down my truck big time:). But I think Florida will eventually start to taxe us to death too!:mad: As for the workers comp think....Tough Break;):rolleyes: I hate when employeers take short cuts to better their bottom line! My next computers going to be a Mac. So far this Gateway has been good to me.....:)
 
Good evening to all, been a bit on the cool side out her but nothing lile what some of you
are dealing with.


Rex, man it looks like you were tied up almost as much as I was, I had no idea you had been working on that project for that long. It makes me feel a bit better that the 21' I'm dealing with looks as though it may fall into line fairly easy.

Your hill sides are a good example of some of what I might be dealing with.

What are the elevations of the different tracks? and are you also working with a 30" depth?

Your scenery looks very nice and the PB trees are very reminicent of a grove of Live Oak trees that you may also have there too.

The only thing I migfht suggest about the trees is to vary a few every now and then to a little lighter shade of green, male & female, and maybe a toch of tan to simiulate some dead leaves here and there.

Very nice, glad it finally all came together for you!!

Take care all
 


I'm learning fast that the draconian laws in this state seem to have nothing to do with reality, as far as businesses go. The shop didn't even have worker's comp insurance at the time of my accident (supposedly through an administrative oversight). They have it now (that it's too late). I've had enough, 3 places out of 3 that seem to be doing their best to "get one over" on somebody (the government, the employees or the customers, or a combination of all 3). We're now exploring options to return East at our earliest opportunity. Oh, and I figured out my taxes for 2009. I'll pay in $300 in Federal taxes, and $1200 in state taxes! And I had the payroll company withholding extra every week, so this didn't happen. Everybody I've talked to so far has had to pay a ton of money in CA state taxes this year, I guess we know now how they're going to cover their multi-billion $ shortfall.
About the only good thing in the last month or two has been my "new" laptop. It just "works", with no fuss or drama. I'd forgotten how good Macs were. Oh, yeah, two things. My LHS has a sale on N scale Kato SD70ACe's in the Heritage DRGW, $69.99 each. I picked one up, the way things look, it'll probably be the last model railroad item I get for a while...

Guess I got lucky then. I finished my taxes today. I'm getting $550 back from California and owe the Feds $700 so I'm $150 out-of-pocket. This is pretty much what I projected by claiming 11 all year.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top