Come on in to Coffee Shop 21

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW!
I finally found the back door to get into the coffee shop.

I normally open the forum and I'm automatically logged in. Dang gremlins locked me out and it took a couple days to find out my password again.:D

Weather is terrible here again, 60 degrees F and sunny. And I have to be inside working !@#>? Sorry for my language!

Phillip- Glad things went well for your wife's surgery. Hope she can ride with you again soon.

Chris, Chris, Chris....what are we going to do with you??
I don't know either, but we don't need you cloned or echoing.
You are too unique to have more than one of you.

My internet connection is so slow today that dial up is faster. So y'all have a good day and I'll try to read the forum later.
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Phillip, I know what you mean about deja vu and waiting rooms. I've spent way too much time there too. I'm happy to hear the operation went well. How long will she have to stay there? Now, with God's grace, she will have a good recovery and everything will work like it's supposed to. Like Chris said, it will be almost like having a new wife.

Rex, I forgot that Tuscaloosa went digital. At least they haven't gone to full-time encryption. anytime you have an extra $250 lying around, you can get a digital scanner so you can listen again. There are persistent rumors that all the Alabama state agencies, including DPS, are going to a 700 MHz trunk system that will also be digital, so you'll have to pop for a digital scanner at some point if you want to know what's going on.

Corey, freezing fog is just one more thing I don't miss about winter up north. 185 tuxedos plus all those screaming moms should keep you plenty busy the rest of the week. :eek:

Jeffrey, sounds like same old, same old, for you, but at least nothing's getting worse. I need to clean up my layout also and see if anything still runs. I don't think I've run a train in about three weeks.

Tom, I think you're the one who's supposed to be showing your son how DCC works. :D Tearing Christmas decorations out of frozen ground is another thing I don't miss about winter up there.

Barry, one of my best skills is staring at things that need to be changed. They don't actually get changed, but the do get some heavy-duty staring. I'm hoping some things change by levitation. :)

Sandy, I was in Denver once when they were having that big cow show thing. It was worse than New Year's in Vegas. I haven't ever seen that many cowboy hats in one place in my life. I don't know if you've been keeping up with the news from Haiti, but a team of Air Force ground controllers, led by a Chief Master Sergeant, has been keeping that airport open and functioning while working from a folding table with portable radios. Shows what can be done when there are no officers to get in the way. The FAA showed up yesterday to "access" whether a temporary control tower was needed. They have two of them sitting in crates in Colorado. Golly, the airport control tower there is half collapsed and you've got this Air Force team that's been running the whole show from a folding table...and you have send people down there to "access" the need? :mad: I hate the government when it come to things like this.

Anyway, I've been off doing house husband duties and such. The weather has warmed up nicely after our cold front and it's sunny and 71 here. That all changes again tomorrow, as another front approaches. It's nice to be warm but we don't want too much warm air around with fronts coming in. I've been following this whole fiasco in Haiti with growing disgust. I thought, after Katrina, and the Tsunami disaster, that the world had gotten better at this, but apparently not. The civil disorder keeps growing and it looks like some Admiral finally decided to make his own decision and land the 2,000 Marines that have been on the Carl Vinson for five days. They even let them have assault weapons...and grenade launchers...and armored personnel carriers...with machine guns! I guess the Admiral finally got the picture that the Haitian police...all 9 of them...and the blue helmets weren't going to be able to do the job. :mad: Some UN guy said they aren't happy about this "unilateral decision". Let's hope the Marines get to wherever he is before a mob of angry Haitians. :mad:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Afternoon, everyone.

I've been following this whole fiasco in Haiti with growing disgust. I thought, after Katrina, and the Tsunami disaster, that the world had gotten better at this, but apparently not. The civil disorder keeps growing and it looks like some Admiral finally decided to make his own decision and land the 2,000 Marines that have been on the Carl Vinson for five days. They even let them have assault weapons...and grenade launchers...and armored personnel carriers...with machine guns! I guess the Admiral finally got the picture that the Haitian police...all 9 of them...and the blue helmets weren't going to be able to do the job. :mad: Some UN guy said they aren't happy about this "unilateral decision". Let's hope the Marines get to wherever he is before a mob of angry Haitians. :mad:

Jim....two simple words......"It's Haiti!" what do you expect?:confused:;) One way or another they will try to blame it on Bush or the Republican party.....and you know how the song and dance will go:rolleyes:! I pay it no mind no more it does no good:p! Now where did that soap box come from?:rolleyes::o
 


Finally got all the doctor visit business taken care of for another week. The official estimate is that in two weeks the wound should be healed up. That would make me happy. I'm thinking about doing a little work on the layout but I'm just too tired right now. Maybe later.
 
We met with a lawyer today who specializes in Elder care. It might be somewhat expensive but well worth the cash after talking to him today. He knows all the ins and out of estate laws and taxes so we are in good hands. I also talked to a CPA friend who asked how we were doing and told him about the lawyer and he said we are in very good hands. After talking to the CPA I feel much better about the decision that has been made. Glendia is overwhelmed with of this legal mumbo jumbo but I understood almost everything he talked about and when I did not I asked a question and he answered in layman's terms that we both understood.
 
Well today it snowed about 2 inches or so, just enough to make stuff like nice. I had a dentist appt after school, and then wound up heading to practice late afterwards, but i forgot my shoes :o

I look at the haiti disaster like this, the marines and the money could be going to iraq...
 
Jim....two simple words......"It's Haiti!" what do you expect?:confused:;) One way or another they will try to blame it on Bush or the Republican party.....and you know how the song and dance will go:rolleyes:! I pay it no mind no more it does no good:p! Now where did that soap box come from?:rolleyes::o

Jim I'd just say the same as Chris did---now if you REALLY want me to kvetch--just look at the flip flappy arms of the UN--who, from a close friend of mine's position within the UN--have not EVEN GONE and MADE ANY DECISION YET!!!!:mad::mad::eek::eek: They're paralyzed by "paralysis by analysis":eek::eek::mad:

Of course, it's easy to bounce on the unilateral decisions of the US ---me? I'd be like, "Oh. And what do you fine 'do nothings' prefer us to do? Nothing?":eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:
 
littlefoot, nothing at all wrong with sending the military to do what it's trained to do to a foreign country. The problem is having eggheads in DC, otherwise known as politicians, running something they know nothing about. I fought a war dictated by know-nothing idiots in DC. Wasn't fun at all. Who brought that soap box back in here?

Larry, I've dealt with more estates than I care to count. I'll be finishing up Tom's in another month. I wish I could close it now, but I have to wait three months for any claims against the estate. The house closes in two weeks. I bought it. Although it is rather fatiguing at times, especially mentally and emotionally, it is rather easy work. Tedious, but easy.

Bob
 
The wife is doing well. They've got her up and walking every two hours. Not too far though.....just down the hall and back. They want to keep her moving so she doesn't get any blood clots, ya know?

They say they want to keep her two, maybe three days. They want to make sure that all of her muscular dystrophy meds are being absorbed and not causing problems. They don't get too many people with that complication in the gastric bypass area I guess.
 


The wife is doing well. They've got her up and walking every two hours. Not too far though.....just down the hall and back. They want to keep her moving so she doesn't get any blood clots, ya know?

They say they want to keep her two, maybe three days. They want to make sure that all of her muscular dystrophy meds are being absorbed and not causing problems. They don't get too many people with that complication in the gastric bypass area I guess.

They kept my wife three days cause they wanted to do the same thing to make sure her meds and vitamins absorb too! Glad to hear she's doing good!:)
 
Oh boy, my wife and I bought a new to us vehicle today. It's a 2004 Ford Explorer XLT with 51000 miles on it. I've been looking at buying a different vehicle ever since she lost her job. We have a beater van that is due for some repairs. I refuse to stick money into a van that I'm getting rid of soon anyway. Well, on the way to the pet store we decided to see what the local Toyota dealership had in stock. This truck was a local trade three weeks ago. The price was within a range that I could pay cash for but we financed anyway. In order to rebuild our credit, I put down 75% in cash and financed the rest. That way I can have an installment lone on my credit report again. I also can keep some cash in the bank for emergencies. All in all a very successful transaction. Yeah, we can get rid of the death trap that my wife drives every day!:D
 
Ok maybe I should clear up what I meant by the troops and money going to Iraq, I meant I'm happier to see the marines and money and supplies going to help a country in disaster rather than go into combat. Sorry for misleading anyone.
 
Good morning. It's 61 and cloudy. The high will be about 70 with a 50% chance of thunderstorms.

Despite yesterdays mad running around from doctor to doctor (maybe I should start charging for mileage) I still got a little work done on clearing the layout. Actually I had just started on clearing a section when my father called (from work). He wanted me to go down and unload groceries from my mothers car. I went over, got the tractor and trailer out, drove it over to the car and loaded up then drove the groceries over to the house. That sure cut down on the amount of walking I'd have to do. The long trips between the house and car had been eliminated so it was just a few very short trips between the front door and the kitchen. She got a cell phone also. It's one of those slide open affairs so the keypad is covered when not in use. We both went through the manual cover to cover to find out how to set up the voicemail on it. There was plenty about how to access voicemail messages but there was nothing on how to make a greeting message or how to activate the voicemail. Then, down at the bottom of the last page was a notice in tiny print saying that the voicemail function had to be activated by the supplier. They could have put that in the voicemail section. The Home Health nurse should be coming around today to reattach the wound vacuum. The doc says I onky have to use it for another couple of weeks. I'll be quite happy to be rid of the thing.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/P1200373.jpg
 
Good morning folks

It was 27 F heading into the puzzle palace sometime known as work. High today will be 44 F. It looks like we could be in for a wintry mix come tomorrow night.

My son has come down with a mild ear infection. It is not enough to keep him from but enough to be uncomfortable. We had to make a run to the pediatrician last night and get a script for an anti-botanic. This meant he missed his guitar lesson and basketball practice. My daughter had volleyball practice last night.

Tonight is Cub Scout den meetings and the first night the scouts can check their cars in for Saturday’s Pinewood Derby. It is also the first meeting since we removed the Den Leader. She is supposed to pay all her back registration fees tonight so her sons can continue to the end of the month. From what we have heard from her former pack we are concerned that she will make a scene. I also had a chance to speak with several of the parents in the den and found out that the Leader had been acting very un-scoutlike to them and the boys for a while now and that they were very displeased with the situation. I wish that someone had spoken up sooner as it would have given the smoking gun we had been looking for a couple of months ago.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good Afternoon all! Got a beautiful day in T-town at 66deg and sunny sky. It didn't start that way with a heavy overcast and it probably won't stay, but I'll take it now ;). This weather always brings out the camping fever.

Had a slow down on my layout work...ran out of ballast. Not to fear, I ordered more from FirstPlace Hobbies Monday and it will be here tomorrow. That place sure has good customer service...and prices. Anyhoo, the work didn't totally stop and I was able to finish up on a gorge that had been white plaster for about 3 years:o Also, the last hill has been started and it should be ready for plaster tomorrow.

Thank you Massachusetts.:)
 
Good Afternoon to All from Rainy, Windy & Cold Coarsegold.
It's rained for the last three days On & Off but quite heavy at times too. I measured the National Weather Service Rain Gauge and we got 3.5" and from a distance, the outer
cylinder of the gauge is badly crazed, it looks like we already have another half inch.

I've done a bit more on my layout in getting the Delany Iron Works kit more toward completion and giving thought to how I want to try and fit things in on the layout as I progress. One problem I face is all the stuff I have to move around and actually have beneth the table work plus the extra lumber that is getting trapped in the oprocess if I don't move it out soon.

Rex I'm with you 200% that Mass. Elected Republican Scott Brown!! Hoorah, Hoorah!!!

Hope all have a great day.
 
Evening fellas,

Finally got my truck back from the shop, hood and grill are both painted now (still need a bumper) and the window has been replaced. So she's all ready to get the trailer and load the Jeep onto for a weekend in the woods playing on the rocks.
 


I went down to my parent's place this morning to wait on the Home Health nurse. She came and did what she had to with foot and the wound vac then my parents and I went to local computer store and picked up a new fax machine and it turned into another all day affair from there. We went Ryan's in DeRidder for dinner then headed back home. I then went into town and got gas for my car then went by the library to turn in some model railroad books then headed back home. By then it was after 5:30. I was just looking up some info on the MagicJack website concerning using the Magicjack with a fax machine. It says it's possible but the fax has to be set to it's slowest speed initially then dialed in until it works right.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top