Coffee Shoppe XXIV

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon, everyone.

Terry, my problem is the Trek sits in my driveway, which happens to be in the sun most of the day.
I knew there had to be a reason.
Deep fried butter? :confused: I've heard of deep fried twinkies, but butter is a new one on me. I don't think we have anything that unhealthy down here, and we have just about every unhealthy thing ever made. :rolleyes:
How about deep-fried lard?:eek:
 
Yuck, dont get me started on deep friend things. Pickled and spicier foods are my thing.

Deep fried pickles, oreos, peppers, ice cream. I always wonder how the hell they managed to deep fry ice cream, but ive seen it.

Ever wonder who came up with the idea to fry something like that and then eat it?
 


Jeffrey, I though I remembered seeing a picture of your car with the twin red rotators mounted on a roof bar, but either I'm mistaken or you changed it out. The Whelan Edge also brings some decent prices used, although the older all strobe units are getting harder to find. We had those on our patrol cars for a while. Not only would they run your battery down in five minutes flat, but the RFI from all the strobes was terrible. You could always tell when a unit had the lightbar activated because you could hear every strobe firing in the radio transmission. :)

Terry, it would be really nice if I could just get that thing in the shade somewhere, but my diveway is on the southwest side of the house, so it gets baked all day. I have to wash it in the early morning, before the sun hits it, or the water evaporates when it hits those aluminum sides. :eek: Deep fried lard? Isn't that basically a deep fried twinkie, with a little dough wrapped around the lard? :D

Matt, wear that brace, even if it seems like it's in the way. Those ligaments need the support until they heal. Deep frying actually has a long history, all the way back to the Roman Empire. Americans really adopted it in earnest though, and the proportion of deep fried food in the diet was actually much larger in the 19th century than it is now. Deep frying was a convenient way to prepare large quantities of food, and the oil could be reused until it was just too disgusting to stand any longer. There's a good argument to be made that the industrial revolution wouldn't have succeeded without deep frying, since it was the first time that you had feed to large numbers of worker at once and do it cheaply.
 
Hi everyone! I first want to thank all for their thoughts and prayers. My Mother-in-law passed away this past Friday evening at our local Hospice Care Center; the funeral and burial was this morning. All the family has held-up pretty well and we, of course, had the usual family squabbles between one brother and sister (all have their way of dealing with grief).

Fellows, we all know how wonderful Hospice is and how well they help out with home care for those that are on their way, but we have a Hospice Care Center that is setup so that both the patient and family can be comfortable and provide care for those that need 24 hour nursing in their last days and up to three weeks. It is a new and beautiful building quietly located on donated VA hospital property. The rooms are furnished like a home bedroom, the sitting areas are furnished with home style furniture, a kitchen is there stocked with donated snacks and food, a separate play area for the little ones, and above all: the staff blend in with the family and provide a personal touch to them as well as the patient. A wonderful place!

I have only been able to scan through a few posts tonight, but will try to find some time tomorrow and catch-up on the gossip. I do hope all of my friends on this forum are doing well..........and Chris is staying out of trouble;):D
 
Jim. I do repair work on other people's houses. I often use an air compressor and a nail gun. The compressor needs 30 amps. Almost every house has either an electric dryer (30 amp plug) or an electric range (40 amp plug) or both. I have an adapters made to fit both. If you know how to do the wiring, you can make the adapter for about $10. Probably cheaper, and much quieter, than running your generator.

Something else that might help. If you have one of the silver colored tarps and can space it about a foot above the camper, it can reflect a lot of solar and help the cooling effort.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just another crazy Monday at the funny farm. I had to leave work early to take my FIL to a VA appointment. My wife refuses to do it. She swears every time she does a car breaks down. :eek: :D

Work was just chaos. Project has to be advertised Thursday and everyone is going nuts over it. I'll fill in details tomorrow if I have any sanity left.
 
My softball team won it's first game of the fall "Frostbite" season tonight. Felt like anything but "Frostbite" at 88 degrees and humid.

An added perk is that the field is right by the Haverhill line (it's in Andover) of the MBTA so the Downeaster roared past twice (back and forth) as well as the commuter rail several times.

I hit a double. Woo!
 
..........and Chris is staying out of trouble;):D

Run, Run, Run as fast as I can and trouble always seem to catch up with me!

"As Chris' World Turns"

Hey Guys, I got another hectic day of mowing! This is the last day for my son staying here. He starts school soon down by his moms, so this mow day is special for us both. I will get him every other weekend:( for now, hopefully more if they will allow. We got 12 yards to mow, the trick is the rain! The rain here is hard to predict and it's a hit or miss kinda thing. One of my customers got a small John Deere Mid motor 30" tractor he wants to sell me......If he doesn't want to much for it I'll have another rider mower!:confused:;) I still need to make a trip to Larrys to Get his Kubota and give it a better home:D!

On the Graveyard shift job hunt, I found another job, and put in for it! Pray I get it...With two jobs and my bills under $1000 a month I should be able to pay off this house and 2nd morgage fast! That's my goal....I know it's a lofty and difficult one but not impossible.

Brought to you by: HFLS
 


Jim. I do repair work on other people's houses. I often use an air compressor and a nail gun. The compressor needs 30 amps. Almost every house has either an electric dryer (30 amp plug) or an electric range (40 amp plug) or both. I have an adapters made to fit both. If you know how to do the wiring, you can make the adapter for about $10. Probably cheaper, and much quieter, than running your generator.
30 amp for a dryer is 240 volts, and 30 amp for an RV is 120 volts. I get several RVs a year that I have to replace all the 120 volt appliances because somebody plugged them into the dryer outlet. I also have gotten a couple of RVs where the electrician mistakenly deliberately hooked the outlet up to 240 volts when he installed a 30 amp circuit for the RV.
 
Good morning folks

It was a muggy 79 F as I headed in this morning. Our high will be 96 F. We are under another Heat Advisory and an Air Quality Alert.

This weekend was rather mundane. We had to do the usual bi-weekly grocery shopping. We also had to do some Back to School clothing shopping for the kids. My son had his fourth monitoring session for his Personal Fitness Merit Badge.

Work has been insane. We have a project that has to be advertised by the end of the week. From the attention it is getting you would think that it was a major bridge replacement on an Interstate in Philadelphia. It is actually a small bridge in rural Chester County near the Maryland State and Lancaster County lines. It carries less than 700 cars per day. We have convenience stores that have more traffic than this bridge. I have to deal with people calling from Harrisburg several times a day wanting to know the status of the project. In the meantime I have two other projects that are due this year and they too are drawing an incredible amount of attention. And to top things off I am also dealing with a $19 million project that is in construction that the contractor keeps trying to redesign in the interest of making extra money for himself not for getting the project done correctly or safely. I have to attend a meeting tomorrow on that one.

Trains have taken a back seat lately. I am hoping to do some things with them shortly.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
30 amp for a dryer is 240 volts, and 30 amp for an RV is 120 volts. I get several RVs a year that I have to replace all the 120 volt appliances because somebody plugged them into the dryer outlet. I also have gotten a couple of RVs where the electrician mistakenly deliberately hooked the outlet up to 240 volts when he installed a 30 amp circuit for the RV.

Dryer is two 30 amps on a common trip. If you use one leg and isolate the other then it works fine. My air compressor is a 110 /30 amp unit.
 
Went to the scrap yard this morning and checked out a part of it where my nephew says there's a van like mine. I looked around. Took nearly 2 hours to look through an acre and a half. That was enough for me. I've been waiting for him to check it out for the past couple of months but he hasn't gotten off his butt yet to do it and frankly I'm tired of it. If you say you're going to do something within a specified period of time then you do it, not sit there and give excuses about why it hasn't been done. I respect people who do what they say they'll do but I don't have any respect for those who are able bodied, won't work and gripe about how everybody else owes them a living. I worked for over 30 years for the money I get now. He can do the same.
 
Rex, I am sorry to hear about your Mother-in-law. I hope your family finds comfort in wonderful memories.
I'm glad to hear that the hospice experience was a very positive one.

Sandy
 
Well im back from another day of diving with the pond weeds :rolleyes:. I shouldnt really complain i guess, its good money, the lake is infested, its invasive, and the homeowners are rich and dont want to do it. 2 hrs of work and i made $40. $20/hr! thats what my dad made at his old job. Not to mention, i can fish whenever im done. Everytime im there i have more people asking about my job. If things work out ok, i can continue to expand that and maybe eventually open up a landscaping/water maintenance after college. Even if i do it just part time, i have enougn leads, contacts and family/friends on the lake and who own businesses to have some customers. Of course theres always the disadvantage of owning your own business.

Im going to get some lunch before i think about this anymore :rolleyes:

Jim- I didnt realize how old frying foods was. Your kind of a history buff arent you? It seems that you know alot about history.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
When you are as old as Jim and I are We have made history. LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!
I always loved History especially U.S. History. I would love to spend a week in the D.C. area but my wife is not that much into History then hit Philly on the way home with a stop in Altoona.
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Rex, I'm sorry to hear about your MIL, but glad that Hospice did a good job for her. Hospice was a real lifesaver for me when Jean was dying, and they have my never ending gratitude.

Don, I never really thought about the dryer or washer outlets. My rig is wired for 50 amps, and it supposedly takes each leg of a 50 amp, 240 volt circuit and puts it through the inverter as a two legged 25 amp, 110 volt circuit. However, as Terry said, I'm not sure I can just hook it up to a 240 volt outlet that's not set up to service an RV, even though the adapter I have will fit. I've also hear stories of guys who did this and fried a $2000 inverter and all the electric appliances, so I'm a little wary of this. I just checked the washer breaker and it's only 20 amps, just like the outdoor plugs. :( If I was a real electrician kind of guy, I'd probably know what I was talking about. :) I don't have a 26 foot long space blanket kind of tarp, but that's not a bad idea, if I can find one at a reasonable price.

Tom, your poor wife must think she makes cars break now. I feel for you with those projects. I worked on a dam and fish screen project for an 8 megawatt hydro plant, one of the smallest we had in our system. The plant was fed by a water diversion from the Eel River, and the outlet went to the Russian River. That water was used by most of the vineyards in Sonoma County, and the Russian River would go dry in summer without our diversion water. Our idiot vice-president wanted to just shut down the plant rather than build a $20 million fish screen. I tried to explain to him, since I actually lived in Sonoma County, that many of those vineyards were owned by the rich and famous, and having us cut off their water would cost us more grief than building the fish screen. After the story hit the papers and the phone calls started coming in, we went ahead and built the fish screen. :rolleyes:

Congrats on the win, Andy. I played softball last year but had to quit halfway through the season. My old rotator cuff injury in my right shoulder in now arthritic, and I went from being able to throw from third to first to barely being able to make it to the pitcher. Getting old isn't fun sometimes. :(

Karl, that looks like a heck of a movie. Not too realistic, but at least it has lots of trains. Any idea what railroad it was shot on?

Chris, I'll keep praying you get that second job. Maybe you'll make enough money to get a lawyer, and not have to be at the mercy of what your wife and her family want for your son.

Jeffrey, there's on an old saying that, if you flip a coin 49 times and it comes up heads, to expect it to come up tails the 50th is the definition of insanity. Sounds like you need to be less insane about your expectations for your nephew.

Sandy, long time, no see. How are things out there in Colorful Colorado?

Matt, I used to have to dive in kelp, which was bad enough, but pond weeds must be a real ball. Do you just rip these weeds out by the roots our what? What do you do with them once you've dislodged them? Sounds like hard work, but even harder underwater. Still, if there's a demand, sounds like pretty good money. You need to get certified though. There's little things like liability insurance if you're really running a business, and you won't get insurance without being a certified diver.

It's another long, hot, humid summer day at the old ranchette. High of 103 and low last night of 77. It finally went below 85 about 0300. :eek: The NWS is still trying to juice up a disorganized mess of clouds and thunderstorms off the southeast coast of Florida into a tropical storm. None of the models are even bringing it above tropical depression status, and I can't see how it can develop further unless it stalls somewhere in the Gulf. There are tons of dry air being pulled into the system and the wind shear is still up around 20 knots. If we're lucky, it will get more organized, make landfall somewhere near the Louisiana-Texas border, and give us at least some rain. My guess is that it will never organize and just stay south in the Gulf as a tropical wave, probably just far enough south so we get almost no rain out if it. I hope I'm wrong.
 


Don, I never really thought about the dryer or washer outlets. My rig is wired for 50 amps, and it supposedly takes each leg of a 50 amp, 240 volt circuit and puts it through the inverter as a two legged 25 amp, 110 volt circuit. However, as Terry said, I'm not sure I can just hook it up to a 240 volt outlet that's not set up to service an RV, even though the adapter I have will fit.
Jim, the way it's wired is one 30 amp and one 20 amp. So, while it's technically 50 amp 240 volt, the way the RV is wired is a little different from what you would find in your house (two 25 amp legs). I have made "service calls" to customer's homes to fix what the electricians broke. It's annoying in the extreme when guys that charge 4x what we do can't be bothered to RTFM.
If you were a few hundred miles closer I could make a weekend trip out of it, hook up a RV connection and fix your bed. Of course, if this is the last RV you're going to have, the outlet would be moot.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top