Coffee Shoppe XXIV

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff- Do any of your family members have plans? My phone is $10 a month and it adds right onto my moms plan, so me her and my sister have i think 1500 minutes. Im on verizon though. My dad has ATT but i dont know anything about his plan because his work pays for his iPhone and the data plan. What about the Jitterbug? Its a basic phone that i think is nationwide, i didnt realize the pay as you go phones are only regional.

Jim- Next time im in Walmart ill have to look for one of those. I am really lucky that i get to play anymore. I asked my mom and she said it was my ACL and MCL that were damaged. I recovered really well but didnt take that doctors advice and stopped my PT early. I wound up damaging it a few months later and thats when i screwed myself and is why my doctor thinks that at sometime in my life i will have to have a knee surgery. After PT i still wore a small wrap on my knee, not fun, besides, it smelled even after being washed every few days.


Well this morning we went for a nice ride with my dads uncle. It was about a 2hr wheeler ride over some beautiful trails. Through the woods, fields, brambles, weeks and mud. I almost rolled my wheeler trying to cross a ditch in a field :o The trip ended with crossing a brook at the ledge of a waterfall :eek: It was shallow though, less than 4 inches so no problems and a very slow current, it was the hard clay on either bank that was really slick and i was spinning even in 1st gear with 4x4 on :eek: It was pretty cool because thats where my dad grew up and the same trails he rode as a kid. I met a bunch of his friends as a kid and visited alot of the places he hung out.

Have a nice one gents.
 
geez... seeing as how I am a new england guy how about lobster omelettes all around? I mean... while we are sending me to bankruptcy court we might as well do it in style.

I have nothing going on. I have forgone all sports for soccer... other than that, my life is hitting the status quo.
 
Lobster omelettes? Must be something those crazy folks south and across the border in Mass eat :D

Andy- Im from Upstate NY, have you been getting this same beautiful weather or the storms? It seems most of the thunderstorms ive been hearing about have stayed south and continued east, putting it right in the path of Mass and southern VT. You, Barry, Bob, Corey and I are really the only Northerners in here, Ken and Tom are borderline, but its crawling with southern gents in here :eek: :D Kidding of course, theres a bunch of great people in here, just like the rest of the forum.
 


Jeff- Do any of your family members have plans? My phone is $10 a month and it adds right onto my moms plan, so me her and my sister have i think 1500 minutes. Im on verizon though. My dad has ATT but i dont know anything about his plan because his work pays for his iPhone and the data plan. What about the Jitterbug? Its a basic phone that i think is nationwide, i didnt realize the pay as you go phones are only regional.
They do have some nice phone plans out there but the last thing I need is to be paying a monthly phone bill on a phone I may use only twice a month. My monthly income is under $700 and most of that is committed to the bills. I MIGHT have $50 left over and that has to go to medicine and gas. Anything left (if any) goes to the hobby.
 
Thanks. Matt, for calling some of us old farts southern gentlemen.
We will try to live up to you lack of expectations! LOL!!

One of the good things about this forum is the friendly banter among the people here. And we get to know people from all over the world.

Happy Monday to everyone!!
 
^its still sunday where are you at? I am trying to hold off work still................slow down

Do you only say "Merry Christmas" on the 25th? :confused:

:D

Jeff- Just something to consider, you were lucky this time that it was 100ft, next time it could be a mile, and thats not something you or i want to have you deal with. A phone could cut out alot of that. Not trying to push you or anything, just making a couple of suggestions.

I saw your picture of the SD70s in the WPF thread, are those any bigger than a Dash-9 or AC4400? They look longer, especially in consist. Ive only seen those from the air, and its was just a fly by over a yard. This is the land of CP up here, and they dont own any of those. :rolleyes:

Mikey- Im trying not to scare away the new guy :D

Well i got my 2nd job and i start tommorow. I went into my own lawn business and have a few jobs lined up. Not bad, $40 the first time and $20 a week after that. If i include my other jobs wages ive got about $300-400 a month. It should go to about october, which means alittle over an extra $1000. If i do this until my 16th birthday, i should have between $3000-3500 for my car, and this is just before allowance which is an extra $520 a year, and assuming i am still making minimum wage for the next 2 years, which wont happen, ive already been told about a raise for next summer. I dont know when my allowance will end, but if it continues through next year that still another $1000 dollars. Life doesnt come with warranties, but i should be looking good for my car. All in good time :rolleyes:
 
Littlefoot...

Weather here has been gorgeous. Absolutely perfect. Lobster omellets are some weird fangled thing that Bickford's restuarant tried. Not sure if anyone ever ordered one. I hope not!
 
CJ, we're now about 9 inches below normal and in a stage 2 drought. All the grass is drying up, and the corn and cotton isn't looking too good either. What kind of pain meds do they have you on. If you haven't tried it, dilaudid is about 10 times stronger than morphine but has much fewer GI side effects. There's an extended release form out now that allows you to only take one pill every 24 hours. My dad was on it in his last stage of prostate cancer and he got total pain relief after we tried everything else, including transdermal fentanyl. That was some bad stuff. :mad:

Jim;

I am taking dilaudid. 4mg PO 4x a day. It works most of the time, but it does nauseate me a lot. Dr sez its interaction with certain other drugs I'm taking and the dosage. I also have a prescription for phenergan, but it with the dilaudid makes me very sleepy. I only take it when I can't stand the nausea anymore. It got real bad Sunday morning, even with the phenergan. It was so bad I had to miss my grandson's Christening at church. :( My wife said she hadn't seen me that sick in months. I swear I even saw 10 pairs of socks and 3 pairs of shoes come up.

Barry, sorry about the never ending phone calls. I just let calls go to voice mail after I got a certain number in one day. It's a pretty good system, too, since about 75% of the problems were fixed by the users when I finally called back.

Barry;

You got my sympathies mate. Before I retired, I was on call 365/24/7. Can't remember a time off that I didn't get at least one call. Most I could handle over the phone, but on occasion, I would go in to fix what was broken.

We've got little storms all over the place today but, of course, each one is evaporating just before it gets to Prattville. Made it to 100 degrees exactly, so our string is now 21 days. With the clouds that have started to develop, we're now down to 96. If this keeps up, I'll have to start looking for my sweater. :D

Well we actually got some good rain today. It actually rained more then 15 minutes today. Good thing is there is a LP area forecast to move west along the Fla/AL/MS coasts later this week, as the HP thats kept us dry moves out east. Its supposed to bring us the best chance of rain we've had since June here. The interaction of both circulations is supposed to push a lot of moisture up from the Gulf. So maybe Jim, our dry spell will have a break toward the end of the week???? If it doesn't bring rain, our heat indices will be pushing 115-120, if not higher, from all the humidity.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


They do have some nice phone plans out there but the last thing I need is to be paying a monthly phone bill on a phone I may use only twice a month. My monthly income is under $700 and most of that is committed to the bills. I MIGHT have $50 left over and that has to go to medicine and gas. Anything left (if any) goes to the hobby.

My carrier (AT&T) has an "add-a-line for $10" option. My wife's phone is only $10 a month added to my bill. If any of your family has AT&T, it might be worth looking into. For the little bit you use one, it certainly wouldn't chew into their minutes.
 
Jeff-

I saw your picture of the SD70s in the WPF thread, are those any bigger than a Dash-9 or AC4400? They look longer, especially in consist. Ive only seen those from the air, and its was just a fly by over a yard. This is the land of CP up here, and they dont own any of those. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
That I couldn't tell you as I've never bothered to measure them. I would give it a try but my tape measure only goes to 25', so that negates a run-by measurement. If I can lay hands on a 120' tape measure I could secure one end to a fence post beside the track and keep pace with the front of the loco as it slowly moves by until I see the rear of it come even with the post. That would give a fairly good measure of the length.
 
Good morning everyone.

I had an enjoyable day off yesterday. I did all of the things I needed to do and had time for the things I wanted to do!:) It has been so humid outside that it's just like being stuck inside during the winter. Nothing else to do but play with trains.;)

Tree building resumed yesterday at a feverish pace. I realized that I've grown bored with the process and would like to be finished. Not that I'm in a hurry, but I would like to run a few trains. You can't do that when it's covered in blue tape. I also realized that I would like to advance this building process a little faster than I have so far. It's taken me two years to get to this point and it probably shouldn't have. Knowing that my wife and I are looking to have a baby in the future, I need to use MY time now. I won't be in a hurry, but I may move along just a little faster than before.

It's suppose to be hot and humid all week so I'm really looking forward to putting on my suit!

Have a great day everyone!
 
Oh my achin back!!!

Playing on the work puter, still reeling from moving this weekend, trying to fill the house over the basement! Got 2 more trailer loads at the other house to move next weekend!
Thanks KEN for your help!!! Once we get situated we'll have you and Vicki up for vittles on the grill!!
No Comcast at home til later in the week!! :( Seems one of my neighbors hit the cable thingy in his front yard and and broke something off that attaches to my cable. Since the prior owner didn't have service, this coulda been from years ago! The gotta come back, run a trench and run new cable to the house! Geeeez!!!:eek: Good thing I got plenty of DVD's to watch (Many RR related)


That I couldn't tell you as I've never bothered to measure them. I would give it a try but my tape measure only goes to 25', so that negates a run-by measurement. If I can lay hands on a 120' tape measure I could secure one end to a fence post beside the track and keep pace with the front of the loco as it slowly moves by until I see the rear of it come even with the post. That would give a fairly good measure of the length.

Save the tape Jeffrey. The SD70 measures out at 74' 3" and an AC4400 measures out at 73'2"..........its amazing what you can find out when ya let yer fingers do the walking!! :D

Cj, no fair talking about the good drugs.........if ya aint sharing!!:p

Gotta get back to work,,, the rest of ya, behave ! (this means you Chris!) oh, and welcome aboard Andy!
 
Good morning. It's 87 here with a projected high of 99 and a heat index of 112. Great weather if you're a lizard hunting for a warm spot. There's a 60% chance of a thunderstorm this afternoon.
I was in town this morning and spotted KCS SD40-3 #3137 out in the open. By chance I just happened to have my camera with me. Please excuse anything that's wrong with the photo as it was taken on the fly from my father's 3/4 ton pickup.
P1011207.jpg
 
Save the tape Jeffrey. The SD70 measures out at 74' 3" and an AC4400 measures out at 73'2"..........its amazing what you can find out when ya let yer fingers do the walking!! :D
Wouldn't ya just know it. And here I bought a 100' fiberglass tape just for the occasion should it arise.:D;):confused::rolleyes::cool:
 
We went to the Indiana State Fair today. It sure was a warm one. Temp 93 Heat index 101. It was very enjoyable but the feet sure got hot walking around. Almost all of the buildings are AC'd so that made it bearable. Glendia got her yearly hit of Salt Water Taffy and neither one of wanted an elephant ear, funnel cake, corn dog or deep fried butter. We were both good in staying away from the nasty but really tasty normal fair foods.
Ordered the Sandstone Cabinets tops today from a good friend. He gave me a price that was the same as Corian which has a heat tolerance of about 275 degrees. Sandstone has a heat tolerance of 450 degrees which made Glendia very happy. She likes to set the hot pans and skillets on the counter which she could do on the Quarry tile tops we are replacing. One base cabinet and three wall cabinets are all that are left in the kitchen. The original tile we put in there in 1986 sure was pretty but got dinged up over the years so we covered it up about 1997. The Pergo laminate will be a nice change for her and she is looking forward to having the mess cleaned up and gone and so am I.
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Terry, my problem is the Trek sits in my driveway, which happens to be in the sun most of the day. I run the A/C with the genny, but, when it's 105 outside, it doesn't get much below 90 inside, especially since I'm working up near the ceiling. I can get some work in between sundown and about 9:00 pm, but my neighbors have five little girls, and they wouldn't appreciate the generator going until midnight. :rolleyes: By about 3 or 4 in the morning, it's (relatively) cool enough to do some work with all the windows open and the fans running. If I had a 30 amp outlet, that would solve my problems, but all my reachable outlets are 20 amps, and the A/C will only run for about 5 minutes before popping a breaker. I'm trying to get the carpet covering off in one pievce, so it's slow going trying to get the putty knife wiggled in there and lifting it on piece. almost done, though, so then it's time to attack the aluminum channel that covers the motor and gears.

Jeffrey, those pay as you go phones have no monthly fee and you only pay for the calls you make. AT&T has some pretty good deals at http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...&wtSlotClick=1-002RPW-0-1&WT.svl=calltoaction. As I remember, you have one of the old Federal twin Beacon-Rays, right? Those are bringing some pretty good money from collectors on e-bay, so that might be a way to raise some cash. You could always pick up one of these (http://www.bestwarninglights.com/m7_view_item.html?m7:item=32.LUM49PS) if a rich uncle passes away. :) It's amazing the amount of light these things put out while drawing less than 25 amps.

Matt, your ACL and MCL are pretty important to things like being able to walk. :eek: Don't end any PT early, no matter how much you want to play ball. You've got a long life ahead of you, and I'd hate to see you live it in more pain than you have to. Sounds like you've done a good job of hustling up more income, no mean feat in today's economy. It's good to see a young person that still recognizes that paying your own way is the road to freedom.

CJ, you ought to talk to your doc about the extended release version of dilaudid. As you know, the need for higher dosages increases as you become more opioid tolerant. My dad was in the same position, and was either nauseated from taking so much dialudid or dopey from taking pherergran to counteract the nausea. Exalgo gave him a lot of pain relief with almost none of the nausea or sedation that he got from taking regular dilaudid. Yesterday was one of the most disappointing meteorological days I've ever seen. Precipitable water values were 2.3 inches, a new high for central Alabama. Capes were in the 1.8k to 2.2k range, and my dewpoint never fell below 70. Perfect conditions ofr thunderstorms, except we got nothing. :mad: I think the NWS and NHC are nuts when it come to Invest 94. The high pressure isn't going anywhere, and this is never going to develop into anything other than a weak tropical depression. Assuming it even holds together, I think it will go to Texas, and still give us nothing.

Andy, lobster omlettes sound fine to me. Matter of fact, I think I'll have two, Flo, with a large Stewart's Root Beer. Make sure it gets on Andy's tab...I think I heard him say he'd pay off my back tabs too. He's a real nice guy. :)

Karl, glad to hear you're mostly moved in. I really, really hate moving. We moved about every two years when I was young as my dad's company transferred him around. It was just disruptive to my life then. Now, moving is just plain hard work. I helped a friend move out of his house a couple weeks ago. There were about 15 of us from church helping, so we got most everything out in about four hours. My back and neck have just about recovered from that. :( Sounds like you wore out Ken too. :D

Corey, I meant to comment on your trees in the WPF and forgot. You've done a really nice job on them. The contrast between the ones you made and the one I have, which my daughter says looks like broccoli, is striking. I wish I didn't already have about 400 broccoli trees, because I'd start over if I didn't. Keep at it, because pregnancy and a new baby will make all work come to a screeching halt. :p

Just another hot, rainless day here in the Heart of Dixie. High was 103 with a heat index of 112, which is probably the "coolest" we'll be all week. Let's see, 14 days in July and now 9 days in August, making 23 straight days over 100. :eek: Thank the Lord for air conditioning. The strange thing is the Kudzu seems to love this hot, dry weather. I've never seen it growing so much and so fast. It's starting to cover the utility poles down the street. There must be some way to make money off that stuff. Talk about a renewable resource. :D

Edit: Larry, you and me were posting at the same time. Deep fried butter? :confused: I've heard of deep fried twinkies, but butter is a new one on me. I don't think we have anything that unhealthy down here, and we have just about every unhealthy thing ever made. :rolleyes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jeffrey, As I remember, you have one of the old Federal twin Beacon-Rays, right? Those are bringing some pretty good money from collectors on e-bay, so that might be a way to raise some cash. You could always pick up one of these (http://www.bestwarninglights.com/m7_view_item.html?m7:item=32.LUM49PS) if a rich uncle passes away. :) It's amazing the amount of light these things put out while drawing less than 25 amps.
Can't say I ever owned a Beacon-Ray light. My first light bar was a Federal Signal StreetHawk. The one I have now is a 12 strobe Whelen Edge with 90w strobes. It includes alley lights. The strobes are divided into 2 main banks. 8 red (4 front, 4 rear) for fire service and 4 amber (2 front, 2 rear) for escort work. There are 2 clear flashers on the rear and two take-downs on the front.
 


Damn laptop died while i was posting :mad:

Jim- Yes those are pretty important :o Everything is feeling fine now. Ill wear a brace for the first part of doubles and see if it does anything or is just in the way. Thanks for the compliments, like i said there are no garuntees, but even if i wind up pressed for cash i still have about 2k in items put away as collectibles or if needed as a nest egg. I dont think id sell them for my car, maybe after college or something. Like i said, its just a safeguard.


Well today i went and started that second job. The grass had to have been close to 6-8 inches tall :eek: I had the mower all the way up and still make a big difference. Next week ill get it under control and everything should be back to normal. For now it looks normal, and thats what she wants. Its a vacant rental property and hopefully ill be able to keep this customer.

Have a nice one gents.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top