Cjcrescent
Master Mechanic
Evening, everyone.
Whew, as the other Southerners have been saying, it's dang hot! The high today was "only" 103 with a high heat index of 113.
Jim, I'm surprised at you! Yall'd think that yall (hows that for "talking" southern?) know by now that the correct expression here in God's country is, "Itsa might bit warm!"
Jeffrey, I have no idea how you can drive around in a car without air conditioning.I'd be dead in minutes. It's bad enough just waiting for the A/C to finally cool down the car enough to bear.
Its really not hard to do Jim, just roll the windows down, and floor it!
Rex, can you imagine when people lived in this heat all the time with no A/C? They must have been way tougher than me.
Wasn't hard at all Jim. We didn't have air conditioning at my house until I was almost 17. What we did have up till then was alot of window fans. There was one in each bedroom, the kitchen and living room, plus the "portables" that never got moved. Those and a lot of ice water & Kool-Aid, got us thru the summers.
As far as those booming car stereos, there's a firm working on an electromagnetic pulse generator with a focused beam and can be mounted on the front of a patrol car. If it works as expected, it will fry anything electronic in the car you're chasing, including the ignition and computers, which means the end of the pursuit real quick. I often fantasized about having one of those when I'm behind one of those thug cars with the 26" rims and foul language rap music booming out of all four windows down. Just one little push of the button is all it would take to end that problem.![]()
Having a device like that has been a dream of mine, ever since those "boom boxes" on wheels started showing up. I think that I've mentioned this before, but the little town of Gordo, NW of Rex's place, has a law that if the radio can be heard outside of the car, the police can cite you for disturbing the peace. Its been upheld by the State Supreme Court, and the police up there really like it. I understand that they write more citations for this, than for speeding.
Personally I've been avoiding going out in the heat as much as possible, and only for the minimal amount of time that I can. Since I don't have AC in my truck right now, I try to do all my trips ASAP in the morning before it gets too hot. Trouble is, if I need to go to the LHS (they don't open until 10), I have to wait until my wife gets home and take her car, or don't go until I can have the car at anytime, which means her days off.
