ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Ahhh yes, a bigger tractor would be nice...but if I had the money to pay for one of those I'd spend it all on mrr stuff instead

(gotta keep my priorities straight)
So
THATS why you eyeball the Deere whenever you come over!!


Your secret is out now my friend!!


Good morning folks.
It's cold and sunny today. After a fairly mild winter, we're now getting below temps and snow regularly.

I'm looking forward to that first 50 degree day.
Speaking of lawns, I've gotten spoiled living in a townhouse the last five years. I haven't had to mow a lawn in quite some time. I actually kind of miss it since it's one of the only reasons for me to be outside and I enjoy seeing how nice I can keep the grass. I just won't like it when I have to mow when it's 90 degrees and I'd rather be inside.

I guess I can't have it both ways! Oh, and I have to buy a new lawnmower since I gave mine away five years ago.
Time to head to work. Have a good day everyone.
Good morning. It's 46° with 65% humidity. The high will be 65°.
As I look outside this morning I see lots of sunshine. The weather guesser says it'll be around until the weekend.
My plan for today is to clear some of the stuff out of the closet. I have a bunch of model railroad stuff in there. Most of it is old freight cars that are still of some use and some loco parts and frames but a lot of it is junk that nobody can use. Old cracked or detail stripped E and F unit shells, 60-70's era diesel bits and pieces, etc. A lot of it is just taking up space. So if I have time today out it goes. There's also a bunch of stuff under the layout that has to go. Old boxes mostly.
Good Morning:
It's sunny and 37° this morning. I was looking at my gas bill, this morning, and over the last two billing periods, the average temperature this year was 11 degrees lower than the same period last year.
Speaking of lawns, It's time for the first application of lawn fertilizer. I'm fortunate to have a smaller lot, so I can get by with a self propelled walking mower. However, when the humidity rises along with the temperature, even the small lot looks endless.
Today is Mall day, Macy's is having a big sale, and the wife wants to participate

.
I get to accompany her, carry the parcels, and buy lunch.
Have a great day.
Joe
Good morning folks.
It's cold and sunny today. After a fairly mild winter, we're now getting below temps and snow regularly.

I'm looking forward to that first 50 degree day.
We had a 70* degree day last weekend. Today it's sunny but only 30* right now with 60% chance of snow later.
I have a 46 car train going now pulled by two union pacific 4400AC engines. One of these six axle katos can pull about 40 cars by itself. They are by far the fastest running locomotives in my fleet.
well its 75* and sunny again thank god

i took some of my stuff to the club & ran it tuesday , god the time flies when your running trains

Our normal (what's normal?) highs are suppose to be around 40 right now. This is the time of year that each and every cold and snowy day feels like a slap in the face from Mother nature.
Knowing I close on the house May 1st, my first official duty will likely be mowing the lawn.

Since that day is my birthday, I think a first official beer on the deck will be in order as well.

It's been busy here today. I was going to get started on the closet this morning. As soon as I was going out to get a trash can the darn phone rings! You guessed it. It was my father calling. He wanted to have breakfast in town and he had things to do in town as well and I figured into his plans. So we got his stuff down and I got home about noon. Got a late start on the closet. I sorted through the contents of six boxes and tossed out enough junk to fill a thirty-five gallon can almost halfway. And by junk I mean pure dee junk that even I can't use! Damaged loco frames, a bunch of cracked or broken loco shells, cracked trucks with stripped gears, freight cars that were damaged beyond hope, etc. On the flip side I found some motors that are in fair shape. With a little work they can be put to work again. Also found some Planet Toys Ford and Dodge vans and some Malibu vehicles. A couple of Ford Pinto wagons, a couple of Ford Escorts, what looks like a retro T-Bird convertible, a Fire-bird convertible, a late 60's Z28, John Deere tractor or two and a few semi-trucks. I got the six boxes thinned down to three so that's progress.
Time to call it a night here. See y'all tomorrow.
Good Morning...
Good Morning! from Tipton IN.
It's Thursday, March 14, 2013
TIPTON IN
Well-Known Member
Staff member
Make sure you tape up those 3 boxes of junk good and tight, 'cause if you're tempted to have one last checkthrough, half of it will find it's way back again.
Good Morning
Partly cloudy today...that is what the guessers say...right now? Snowing like the proverbial backhouse and windy to boot.
Got to make a run to Woodstock a little later...hopefully I get there without some pileup occuring on the 401...which happened yesterday...

hey what the hell??? you guys up north left the door open again??? it was only 48* when i got up this morning !!! well my g/f daughter moved out last nite !!!!!!! & we gave her our bed its a huge kingsized bed , well im thinking cool , she will have her boyfriend come over with his truck & hes a big guy so i will get out of moving the bed ........ well you know how that goes , her boyfriend showed but his freind didnt soooooo. i helped move it & set it up

ahh but at least its quiet here now !!!
Good morning. It's 49° with 55% humidity. The high will be 70°.
I'm getting a late start today. After yesterdays closet cleaning I think I'll take a break today. There's still more layout cleanup to do and I may get to that later. Another problem that needs addressing is one of my FP7's has a bum motor. It runs though it's noisy. It's to the point that when it stops it doesn't always want to move again. Usually a sharp tap takes care of that. I thought it could be a loose connection so I checked everything over and resoldered any suspect connections. No difference. So I ran it chassis only stopping and starting it until it failed to start again. I used my meter to check for continuity across the motors terminals and there was none. Aha. A fault in the commutator? A brush going bad? Who knows? I tapped the motor with a screwdriver and continuity returned. Pretty obvious the motor will have to be changed out at some point.
Finally faced doing my taxes today. I went to the H&RB people and it was easy.......but I owe more then ever and I didn't see it coming. Good thing I didn't wait any longer. I have an ace in the hole though so I'll be ok. Like the george strait song says "you've got to have an ace in the hole!"

I've been working on an FP7 that had a bum motor. I removed the old motor, took the flywheel and shaft extension off it then hooked it up to a Bachmann power pack and turned to throttle up. Lots of vibration. Looks like my thought about the brushes or commutator was a bit off. Looks more like a bad pole. I've fitted the flywheel and shaft extension to another motor. It's a little shorter in length than the old one but the shaft ends are a little longer so that helped make up for it. I got the right length sorted out front and rear for the shafts so now I have to wire the motor then set it back in with the shafts again and secure it in place.
This is how far I've gotten at this point:
Well-Known Member
Staff member
Not a problem to our Jeffrey.
Well I have the new motor in the FP7. I got it wired, shafts put in, motor hot glued in place after much eye-balling to make sure all was right. Hooked the motor to the decoder and sent it off on a test run. It runs very well but buzzes like a hair trimmer. Oh well, can't have everything. That's better than what it WAS doing. Went into town earlier today to make a bank deposit, went to Lowe's to get several types of small screws then the post office to send a something I didn't want back to a club I belong to, at their expense.
Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.
Good Morning...
Good Morning! from Tipton IN.
It's Friday, March 15, 2013
TIPTON IN
Good Morning
Everything here is having another dusting of that dang white stuff on it...again...sigh...in other words another dull winter's day for us'uns.....
Got few things need doing downtown today..then it is off to the LHS to pick up my order there...
Good morning. It's 46° with 95% humidity. The high will be 78°.
I have a lot of doing nothing planned for today.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)