Coffee Shop XXXVI-2/4/2013

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


jeffery you horsetrader where do you keep coming with all these cars?? lol & yea we want pics :p
 
Last edited by a moderator:
jeffery you horsetrader where do you keep coming with all these cars?? lol & yea we want pics :p
Folks dig them out of their closets, attics, basements, shed, etc and send them to me for little or nothing just to be rid of them. Sometimes I don't even know they're coming. A box just shows up. Many times they're bits and pieces that I have to fit together as best I can. Sometimes they're pristine models in their original boxes, other times they're serviceable but in need of some work.

Take this car for instance:

DSCN3191.jpg


I picked it up on Ebay as part of a junk purchase. It's an old Tyco centerflow hopper from the early 70's (brown box era). It was a disaster when I got it. The roofwalk was missing, somebody had fitted it with OO trucks and wheels with hook and loop couplers. I had to rebuild the bottom of it and refitted with the original type Tyco trucks with Bachmann metal wheels. The roofwalk came from another hopper body that was an absolute basket case (no bottom, no ladders, etc) . That's the condition in which I get many of them.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Folks dig them out of their closets, attics, basements, shed, etc and send them to me for little or nothing just to be rid of them. Sometimes I don't even know they're coming. A box just shows up. Many times they're bits and pieces that I have to fit together as best I can. Sometimes they're pristine models in their original boxes, other times they're serviceable but in need of some work.

Take this car for instance:

DSCN3191.jpg


I picked it up on Ebay as part of a junk purchase. It's an old Tyco centerflow hopper from the early 70's (brown box era). It was a disaster when I got it. The roofwalk was missing, somebody had fitted it with OO trucks and wheels with hook and loop couplers. I had to rebuild the bottom of it and refitted with the original type Tyco trucks with Bachmann metal wheels. The roofwalk came from another hopper body that was an absolute basket case (no bottom, no ladders, etc) . That's the condition in which I get many of them.
nice now you did it!! i want that centerflow kellogg hopper:cool:
 


wow thats quite the adventure , yea as im finding out down here the snowbirds mostly cant drive when they come from all over the country & try to blend , and i cant remember if you told me or not but when did you move outta cape coma & move up north ??

I left in the fall of 2007. We were a little ahead of the curve as far as losing the house, etc, courtesy of an uninsured motorist.
 
Well I got a grand total of nothing done today. Well, that's not exactly true. I did run some trains.

Time to call it a night here. See y'all tomorrow. That is if the rest of the hours don't run off.

DSCN3357.jpg
 
Good morning folks.

My life is about to get busier with the purchase of a house. We finally settled with the sellers on what they need to correct in order for us to accept the price. I'm so excited I can hardly sleep lately. We haven't owned a home since losing ours in a bankruptcy from our failed business venture. I sure hope my layout fits in the bedroom that has been allotted for it. The size should be right, but I may need to redo one section in order to accommodate the entrance to the room and layout. I designed the layout to be movable but hadn't planned on it being to this level of completion. We'll see how well it comes apart and more importantly, goes back together!:) All my future funding will be going to updating the house so this layout will have to suffice for now. There is only one thing I forgot about buying a house, I have to move! I hate moving.:D

Other than that, I don't know much.

Have a good day everyone.
 
Time to "Gird up the Loins" as they say 'cause moving house is recognised as the most stressful thing you can do.
 
I'm just happy we're not building! We're having a hard enough time deciding on carpet and paint colors. I have to try to paint the entire interior before we move so I know what I'll be doing the month of May!:rolleyes:
 


Isn't moving so much fun? NOT!

Good morning. It's 41°F with 71% humidity. The high will be 60°F.
pcloudy-1.jpg


Since getting the new modem I've had no problems getting online and staying online. So yesterday I called Suddenlink and cancelled the service call that was scheduled for this morning. After all this time of them saying the problem wasn't being caused by their equipment it turns out that the problem was being caused by their equipment. I'm just happy that it's over with.

Now, what to do today, what to do, what to do. I guess I could get started on cleaning up the layout before I have to mount an archeological expedition to find my tools. I know for sure there's a pairs of pliers in there somewhere and I seem to be missing a loco. There's also a loose hour scampering around here somewhere but I probably won't find it until sometime in November.

P1011982.jpg
 
Good Morning:

It's another foggy, overcast morning in Central New Jersey. Right now the temperature is 36°. It's supposed to go up into the 50s today. The past weekend was very nice, the upcoming week will start out wet, then get cooler.

From 1978 to 1986, I moved 4 times at the "request" of the "Corporation". Each time was a hassle. As the family grew and we acquired more stuff, the moves grew progressively more difficult. After that, we managed to stay in one place. Now, we want to sell and move to a "warmer" and "cheaper" climate. Here we go again. All the stress that was suppressed for the past 27 years returns. Plus the question: "What do I do with all the junk we have accumulated"??????? And we have not even listed the place yet :).

The first thing I've noticed is that there is less urgency to work on the layout, and a need to update the "inventory".

By and by, things will work out, but I don't envy anyone in the process of moving.

Have a nice day!

Joe
 
I estimated the carpet we would need in the basement to be 90-95 square yards, or about 800 to 850 square feet. That would cover a 17x27 living room, 11x15 bedroom(train room) and 11x13 bedroom, and 8 stairs. I was told that I would in fact need 126 yards to do the job. That's 30 yards more than I thought. At $27 a yard installed for cheaper carpet I have to pony up $800 more than I thought!:eek: That was quite the blow to my moving, upgrading budget. I think I need to remember that EVERYTHING cost more than you first estimate.:rolleyes:
 
Corey, that's probably because of the odd-sized 'remnants' that wouldn't really be usable after trimming off the main sheet(s) to fit in the different-shaped spaces. (Or had you already factored that in?) I feel your pain, we are re-carpeting my late MIL's house to make it easier to sell.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I hadn't considered the goofy angles going to the bedrooms along with the closets. I figured on some additional carpeting for these areas but didn't think it would be 30% more. I trust the company doing it but it was still a shock. I think I need to get into the carpet business!:D
 
well you can add me to the moving line , looking at a 4/2/2 with pool & spa for 1100 including lawn & pool care , im gonna rent not own ,owned 2 already so im good , if we get it i will have a 3 car garage so plenty of room for a layout :) :) :) but did i mention moving sucks !!!
 
The Mrs. wants the whole house painted before we move in too so I'll be complaining about painting fairly soon too!:D

Good luck with that. Its been 2 1/2 years, I've still got 2 bedrooms to repaint. Thought we could blow out the whole interior in a week before moving in. All we got done before moving in was the Dining room and the living room.;)

But, the basement got repainted before the other rooms that we did get to!:rolleyes::D
 


ahhhh shut up & know your role !!!!!:p
Yes Ma'am!

I'm going to start in the basement where my home theater set up, pool table, pinball machine and layout will live! I even get the new carpet and new power reclining Flex steel couch. I'm not sure why I'm getting what I want in this whole thing.:confused: I'm sure I'm in for a real doozy the next time she wants something!:eek:
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top