Coffee Shop XXXVI-2/4/2013

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


So I might lose a lot of my existing inventory of perishable foods.
Am I the only one that ever thought of putting the perishables in a plastic tote and putting the tote on the back porch to keep the stuff from spoiling when we lose power?
 
With all the low temps you guys are gettin' over there at the moment, would take till spring to thaw out anyway, wouldn'it.
 
Am I the only one that ever thought of putting the perishables in a plastic tote and putting the tote on the back porch to keep the stuff from spoiling when we lose power?
Terry, I thought about that too. Trouble is, with the temp hovering just around 32*F and above, that would be too warm for my frozen foods (which we buy in bulk and store in our stand-up freezer in the garage).

As of yet, my power has only failed during the summer and fall months. I have yet to experience an outage in the dead of winter...and I hope tomorrow won't be my first time.
 


Had to do a couple of things for my father this morning then worked on the UP and BN FP7's off and on the rest of the day. I had some handrails left over from the dress-up kit I used on the primer gray FP7 yesterday so I ground the molded on hand rails off the back doors of the BN unit and replaced them with the metal hand rails from the kit. There's a few more I'm going to add to it but it won't happen today.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN3297.jpg
 
Jeffery- I'm glad to hear what kind of weather I'll be having tomorrow!
It moves into here about 24 hours after you experience it.
 
Sometime between 11:30pm tuesday and 3:30am this morning we got about 2-3 inches of snow. More like 2 inches I guess. Our driveway and parking spaces have been plowed already and it wasn't that much. And forecast is for just another inch later today. So if this is it.......we got off pretty easy compared to the possible 9-10 inches they told us yesterday. The two little ski areas 20 miles north of here must have had their snow making equipment working overtime this year and last.
 
Good morning!
Been snowing here since about 1 am, supposed to snow til 7 or so tonight, close to a foot total.:cool:

Oh well, we don't have to go out, I've got plenty of modeling to do, not a bad day!:D
 
Good morning. It's 40° with 60% humidity. The high will be 60°.
cond026.gif


Hopefully I won't be interrupted today and I'll be able to clear some of the junk off the layout. Yeah, right! And maybe pigs will fly! I know that as soon as I get a good start the darn phone is going to ring. Someday I'll probably yank that thing out by it's wires! Well enough about that. My E-R Models Rock Island FP7 should be arriving today. From outward appearances there's no difference between the E-R Models unit and the 80's era Atlas and Con-Cor units. I'll find out when I open it up for inspection and cleaning. I'm running a train this morning that has three FP7's as head-end power. Two 70's era Atlas/Roco units and a 70's era Atlas/Roco-Athearn hybrid. They're running OK but I'm not particularly enthused with the sound coming from the lead unit, the primer gray FP7. Did I miss something in the inspection of the gears? Maybe it's the motor making that racket? I was pretty thorough with the gear inspection so I'm betting on the motor. If it is I have a PPW motor that should work in it just fine.

DSCN3186.jpg
 


Good Afternoon:

The temperature has been holding at 37° all morning, and the rain has mostly been light.
The wind is quite brisk from the NE at 32mph with gusts of up to 44mph. Some of the trees are still shedding branches, and it sounds like a jet stuck in a perpetual circle over the house.
Supposed to change over to snow overnight.

Working on a California Models Lumber yard kit, that's been in a storage box for quite some time. As long as the power remains on, I'm good to go.

Joe
 
Since we don't have the high winds today I went to town this morning to get refills on all my meds and send a package on it's way to Florida. I got home about noon and found two packages waiting on me. One was a box containing an assortment of nine freight cars from Bachmann, Roco, Mantua, Lionel and Life-Like. The other was the box with my new FP7. And it is literally new. E-R Models Rock Island 405. Not a scratch on it anywhere and the factory lube in the gear boxes. If it's ever been run before today I can't tell it. Upon opening it up I saw that it was DCC Ready. It took me about five seconds to plug a Digitrax DH123 into that socket. The loco runs like a Swiss watch. No gear noise, no motor hum. And I got this for under $40? I feel like I just ripped off the Crown Jewels and got away with it! I'll have to see if I can find more of these in this price range and pick them up as I can.

DSCN3318.jpg


DSCN3299-1.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
yea nice loco jeffery , im almost at the end of my steam buying so im heading into the diesel realm , soo a package to florida???? ohhh boy ;):p
 
i also have to pick up non sound decoders & the Digitrax DH123 seems cheap enough & jeffery since you use them i take it they are reliable ??
 
Murphy's Law of Winter Weather: "The probability of a severe storm is inversely proportional to the amount of effort and resources you put into preparing for it." The much-hyped winter storm that was suppose to dump 12-18" of snow in central MD was a dud. But hey, I'm NOT complaining..!:p
 
Packing it in a bit early tonight. I sometimes get to the point where my joints feel like they're burning. I'm at that point now. It usually only lasts a few hours but it has been known to last for days. The docs have no idea what causes it. Hopefully a good nights sleep, or even a few hours of sleep will be enough. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN3320.jpg
 
Murphy's Law of Winter Weather: "The probability of a severe storm is inversely proportional to the amount of effort and resources you put into preparing for it." The much-hyped winter storm that was suppose to dump 12-18" of snow in central MD was a dud. But hey, I'm NOT complaining..!:p

yes, it was a dud, 5 pm my driveway and both my cars were clean, what fell, melted!:D:D:D
 


Good morning, America! I'm on my way to the Quad Cities Station to work for maybe a couple of weeks. I beat Bill on this morning's post, hope he's well. Gotta go.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top